Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by C.E. Evans, Oct 17, 2011.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Original X-Men director Bryan Singer suggested a stillborn Excalibur remake may clear the way for his proposed BSG remake instead:
    http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...ryan-singer-moves-on-to-battlestar-galactica/

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, Singer; I think you're a talented director, but I've no interest in this.

3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Commodore Commodore

Well, it might be like Peter Jackson's King Kong -- i think he made the movie more for his own personal fanboy desires, than for the rest of us.

But i'd be interested in it....

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just not interested in any new projects that have anything to do with the old '70s series. I only care about the RDM version.

5. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

absolutely, and people who never really knew the original series would view Singer's BSG as a cheap knockoff of RDM's

6. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Speak for yourself. I'm interested. And there are many original BSG fans who would love to see the old cast reunited for a movie.

Sign up Hatch and bring back Benedict as "Starbuck".. the ONE, and the ONLY Starbuck!!!

Moore destroyed BSG.

Keep us posted.

7. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, the historical documents of the Galactica's mission were badly garbled when they were received. Gaps had to be filled in and extrapolations were made in order to present a complete narrative.

So we ended up with two interpretations of the mission of the Galactica, the fleet, the crew, and the civilian survivors. Personally, I appreciate both interpretations.... and I suspect that the truth is even further from what we have seen on TV.

(My own theory is that the Colonists were actually a race of intelligent daggits...)

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of the original series. I've always been curious about the Singer version. Though I did like the RDM version until it petered out in the later seasons, I still have a fondness for the old series. Seeing a JJ Abrams revival of the 70's BSG would be great.

9. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, did you hear?

Next time they're rebooting the A-Team, Katee Sackhoff is going to be Face, too.

10. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While for nostalgia reasons it would be cool to see the original cast, i think that ship has long since sailed.

But i'm all for a Bryan Singer version, can't be any worse than the dreck that was nuBSG.

Just take a flashlight with you to the cinema and randomly shine it into your eyes, that'll give you the full JJ experience.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who gives a shit about the revival of the 1970s show (which this, BTW, will not be)?

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, Singer ISN'T doing a film with the original cast this is another reboot.

13. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Ya know, I enjoyed the RDM version of BSG for what it was while it was on, but now that it's over, in retrospect, it really, really, really sucked. William Adama is the exception to that, of course.

Give me old '70s BSG.

14. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Which means regardless of his intentions the film is going to be condemned as a rip-off of the RDM series and mercilessly compared to it.

Not everyone liked RDM. Not everyone liked the original BSG. But the fact is this is waaaay too soon to be even thinking about another reboot, especially since the RDM version last I heard is still in play. Wait 10 years, then do another one.

Alex

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I thought Singer already did that with Superman Returns?

BSG had been lambasted for years as a joke in the sci-fi community. Moore's series brought it prestigious awards and critical praise from the United Nations. If this is destroying BSG, than it's a pretty damn fine destruction.

It would be Galactica 1980 (re-titled Galactica 01980) and would feature lens flares. A lot of them.

Oh, I don't know. BSG itself ended two years ago, Caprica ended last year, and it doesn't look like Blood and Chrome is going to happen. Moore's BSG is pretty much done.

Depending on when they start, Singer's BSG could get in theatres in 2013, a decade after Moore's reboot started. We already have a reboot of the Spider-Man franchise coming out next year, a decade after that movie series started. And even though the next Batman movie comes out next year, there's already talk of rebooting that movie series with the next movie after that. Such a reboot could be out in 2015, a decade after the Nolan series started.

By Hollywood's standards, now is the perfect time to reboot BSG yet again.

16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Vice Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ahem...)

As for Singer, he can do another 'boot all he likes, but I liked the old series and I liked the first reboot, so I'm not desperate for another one.

17. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as I know, this Singer-helmed BSG project is the same as the project with which Glen A. Larsen (original BSG creator) is/was involved, so it's neat to see some new information about it.

I personally have never watched the original BSG, but am all for different interpretations of the same thing existing in the collective 'ether'.

I would like to point out something that, beyond the tone of things, would set RDM and a Singer/Glen A. Larsen BSG project apart: Larsen's faith (he's a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) and the extremely overt LDS doctrinal and faith-based trappings that he stuck into the original BSG and that were, for the most part, not incorporated into the RDM version of BSG.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Other than Singer's involvement (and of course at the end he wasn't involved in the DeSanto project) there's no indication that it is.

In fact, the BSG continuation was pretty much DeSanto's idea and his project; Singer was attached to direct. Singer and DeSanto have not worked together since X-Men 2.

After BSG collapsed, DeSanto's career has been...minimal. He did a draft of the first Transformers movie and is listed as a producer on that film, of which the movie's director has this to say:

Other than similar credit sand essential non-involvement on the later Transformers films, he directed some sort of TV movie called Crisis: New York Underwater. Budgeted at under a million dollars, it appears to have aired somewhere in 2009.

There's no indication that DeSanto is involved with the Singer project in any way or that he and Singer will work together again in the future, and no indication of any connection between the television miniseries that DeSanto was producing in 2001 and this theatrical project in early development a decade later.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original announcement of Singer being involved in this BSG reboot project came only a few short months after it was announced that Glen A. Larsen and Universal were working together on developing a reboot based entirely on Larsen's original ideas. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that Universal would announce two unrelated BSG reboot projects within months of one another, which is why I'm assuming that the Larsen project and Singer's project are in fact the same thing.

20. Admiral Buzzkill