SyFy demotees Blood & Chrome back to webisode series

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by V, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

There could also be a lot of politics involved. Some pushing for the Singer project might simply not want B&C to happen.

2. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Which could indicate that it's going to by a first cylon war movie

3. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't wait until this thing airs.

4. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

If it airs. All we've got so far is some blokes talking much, but in reality saying nothing. Name one thing that has actually been confirmed about this thing? Aside from the title. They're talking out of each others arses.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I guess you haven't read the thread at all, since:

1. People who are working on it have been talking about said work.
    2. People in the industry have seen cuts of it.
    3. One of those working on it (Doug Drexler) recently reported that the effects work has been completed.

We don't know what's left to be done on it, but $4 million is being spent and the project is continually moving forward.

I have no idea whether it will be good or not, but people pretending the actual production is just smoke and mirrors is totally absurd.

6. TheNatureRoy

TheNatureRoy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Especially since we haven't even reached its original expected air date (early '12). People are acting as if it was supposed to air a year ago and we hadn't heard anything.

We're only now starting to get close to the time when you would expect Syfy to start getting ready to promote this (if they still intend to air it in the originally planned window).

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Believe it or not, there seems to be some element of acceptance for this project in the TOS camp. I base this statement on some recent discussions over at Colonial Fleets on this very topic, from a fanbase that has long shunned NuBSG and only accepted TOS as the "One True Battlestar". Like it or not, but it can serve as an effective barometer as to how the TOS fans will react to these new projects. There also seems to be something of a thawing of the traditional negativity that has been pointed towards RDM's version. They still don't like a lot of what was done and many of them still refer to it as "GINO" ("Galactica In Name Only" for the uninitiated), but they also realize that, in some situations, Moore and Eick didn't always have much control over their vision.

So, all this coupled with a general dry spell of anything Battlestar has much of the old-school fandom actually interested and curious about both B&C and Singer's new effort as vehicles for moving the property forward in the future.

8. ares93

I never said that it was smoke and mirrors. I only said that so far we've seen shit. I've read pretty much everything i could find, yet all i can see is that nothing is confirmed. All I've read are statements that disprove each other.

I'm sure work is being done, damn good work if Drexler is involved, but either their PR department is doing something aside from their bloody jobs or they're just talking without actually consulting each other. Which is the most probable.

Ergo, my statement that they're talking out of each other's arses. Until they get their act together and confirm something that isn't denied by someone else a week later, I'll won't put much faith in what they say.

9. Robert Maxwell

I don't even know what your post is saying now. You're complaining that they aren't marketing something that isn't done, and isn't scheduled to air yet, so that means they're not actually working on it? I mean, what??

10. ares93

Lets put this plainly. Two people work on the project. Person 1 says something about the project. Lets say a ship. A week later Person 2 says something about that same ship, but the polar opposite. Now we have two people saying different things about the same ship.

Now everyone is confused.

Simple enough?

11. Robert Maxwell

Where did this happen? Provide a link or a post.

12. TheNatureRoy

I'm not quite sure what you mean... PR-wise they are being very quiet -- intentionally so, likely waiting for the right time to get the marketing machine up and running based on when/where/how this will be released.

But even with Syfy remaining quiet, we know quite a lot:

--Who wrote it.
    --Actors starring in the production.
    --When and where it was filmed.
    --Who handled the VFX and confirmation by Doug Drexler it was recently completed (within the past couple of weeks).
    --Outside vendors who create BSG merchandise watched it (or at least parts of it) this past week.

What is the contradictory information?

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Doesn't look like any contradictions to me, other than the media delivery platform. Will it be televised or will it be a webisode? Then there's the third unmentioned option (a la the Caprica pilot) of a direct-to-DVD/BluRay release.

Either way, if vendors are looking at it, sounds to me like it's a done deal that we will see it in some fashion. Just a matter of when and how.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: SyFy demotes Blood & Chrome back to webisode series?

This "demotion" back to webisode turned out to be nothing but a rumor. At this point, we don't have any reason to expect that Syfy has backed away from the plan to televise.

15. TheNatureRoy

Re: SyFy demotes Blood & Chrome back to webisode series?

As far as we know, the web series option is still on the table, and it was more than just a rumor.

It seems the vast majority of the info released on Blood and Chrome from inside Syfy has come from the mouth of Mark Stern as reported by Maureen Ryan (AOL/Chicago Tribune).

In July 2010 she wrote: "An online series called "Blood & Chrome" is in the works, one that would follow the experiences of a young William "Husker" Adama in the first Cylon War.

"According to Mark Stern, Syfy's executive vice president of original programming and the co-head of original content for Universal Cable Productions, "Battlestar Galactica" and "Caprica" co-executive producer Michael Taylor will write the the script for the new venture."

And then she reported on its promotion to televised movie/backdoor pilot in October of 2010: "Mark Stern, Syfy's executive vice president of original programming and the co-head of original content for Universal Cable Productions, said the network hoped to begin production on the pilot in Vancouver in early 2011.

""When we read Michael's script, it was so clearly a full-blown pilot for a series," Stern said in a Thursday interview. "The scope is fantastic and bigger, I think, than anticipated, so we said, 'Let's do it as a 2-hour backdoor pilot.' ... We're trying to get up and running as soon as possible.""

And then in August of this year she reported that the decision to go web series or television movie was still up in the air (not decided as the headline of this thread erroneously implies): "Stern said Syfy is still weighing whether to release this combat-oriented 'BSG' prequel as an online series (which was the original plan back when the project was first commissioned) or to bring it to air as a backdoor pilot, which is still a possibility."

16. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

While I'm sure there will be a disc release, given how SyFy is obviously connected to the project, it stands to reason they helped finance it, so they probably have the right to broadcast it before or concurrent with the home video release, either on TV or on their website.

17. ares93

You're not expecting me to dig out every link to every last bleedin comment so you can compare them, do you? Read for yourself, it not so hard to find.

You know, forget i ever said anything, i'm too bloody tired for this shite. Me google-fu is weak right now. Spent the day running around like a castrated dog. Feels like i've worn me feet down to me knees.

Goodnight.

18. TheNatureRoy

Doug Drexler talks a fair amount about B&C in this video from last week. No story spoilers, just him talking about the VFX techniques used as well as him raving about how awesome it looks and how they managed to pull it off in a very cost effective manner (which is key if this is to have any hope of going to series I would think):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwT3Ck1NBc&feature=player_embedded

19. V

V Commodore Commodore

You know, regardless of all other factors and complaints, I took a step back today and realized that given how much time has passed....if "Blood & Chrome" comes out as early as January, which seems the earliest it could be out...

...it will have been a full year since the last BSG-verse material, when they burned off the last few Caprica episodes in early January 2011.

One of the things that bugged me about Caprica, is that it had a lot of internal problems in its crucial first half (under Jane's tenure....then they delayed the better second half which she wasn't involved with for 9 months, so it was a foregone conclusion at that point)..............

....but it wasn't really trying to stand on its own two feet, but to ride the coat-tails of BSG itself.

io9.com recently summarized some of the "worst decisions of the SyFy Channel" and chief among these was not allowing "Caprica" to exist as Remi Aubochon's original pitch for a "robot show" which had nothing to do with BSG.

Instead they tacked-on the stuff about the Adama family. The result was that it didn't really feel like the "BSG prequel" it promised to be for returning fans, and new viewers trying to follow the Graystone family story kept getting sidelined by all of this Adama family stuff that got shoehorned in.

Look its a matter of debate how much "Caprica" worked or not, but even for those giving it a chance, it was really "riding the wave of popularity" from BSG's final season.

The biggest effect of "Caprica" was that when BSG season 4 was wrapping, and the cast and writers were touring the press circuit, they *didn't* have to act like the BSG-verse was "over".........they could cling to the idea of "and join us for Caprica!"

Reminds me of how when "Enterprise" ended, Rick Berman started frantically proclaiming that he was moving on to writing a new Star Trek movie script....even as Paramount flatly denied this was happening, because he wanted to "save face".

It wasn't quite the same for BSG, okay, but I mean from the perspective of the SyFy Channel and some of the crossover writers like RDM and Jane Espenson, they could act like "and join us on our next project"....they even had the two casts meet up and press junket events and things.

So the whole point of Caprica was to ride that wave of hype....THROUGHOUT the year following the BSG finale, the SyFy Channel got to run promo ads for it....particularly because they foolishly ran the pilot TV movie (also on DVD) about a year before the full series.

I really don't mean to dive into the "Caprica" complaints too much I'm really sorry that I'm rambling into that, but my point is this: up until when Caprica got yanked from the air last October 2010, the SyFy Channel was always able to keep some form of "hype" going for a BSG-project, even if it was just a title card saying "Caprica...Coming in 2009!" and such.

After "Caprica" ended, it was different. Obviously, because it was abruptly canceled. There was no smooth transition the way there was from BSG to Caprica, from the point of view of the marketing department and ads.

Instead, for the first time since *2005* (and arguably 2003, depending on if you mean continuous coverage) , there really haven't been TV ads or news for a BSG project. Its faded from public memory.

Caprica at least tried to keep that momentum going, even when it made fans wait a full year between the BSG finale and the prequel, at least they could run ads vaguely defining what it was like.

SyFy Channel nowadays really needs to gets its act in gear if it wants to hype B&C.

....or was that the whole point? Did the SyFy Execs think that Caprica was such a lousy show that had wasted its "new show capital" (people watch things when they're shiny and new regardless of how good they are, until you get far enough in season one to get a feel for it; a "grace period" while people try it out; Jane's initial and problematic ten episode run used this up).......think "Caprica" left such a bad taste in viewers mouths, that they *inentionally* wanted the franchise to "lay fallow" for a full year, without even hyping Blood & Chrome in their advertisements?

Because since fall of last year, it seems like SyFy Channel has been in freefall. I'm not even sure if they had a contingency plan for this. Major setbacks to ALL THREE of their major franchises: Caprica got dramatically yanked from the airwaves so the BSG verse is out, Stargate Universe got canned too (and just as it was fixing problems it had), and now Eureka is winding down its final season (amidst a botched cancellation announcement; this network never handled admitting failure gracefully).

I don't think they ever forsaw that all three of their major franchises would take a hit like this....at least, not Caprica and SGU, I think both were supposed to last 4-5 years or something.

Its just that sometimes I step back and realize "wow, all of these cancellations happened within the one year period of Fall 2010 to Fall 2011". That's a relatively short period of time, given how long it takes to set up shows.

Their new slate is two more ghost shows, and a Robert Hewlett Wolfe show which is sort of like another take on Andromeda (or, like Firefly told from the Alliance point of view; rebuilding after a big interstellar civil war). But those are just on the drawing board.

Given how big of a demand they have for new shows, I wonder just what was so wrong with B&C that made them doubt it so much; because all the quotes cited above from VFX guys seem to indicate it at least showed some promise (how good does a single, pilot episode, need to be?)

So was this a conscious choice to let the BSG-verse "lay fallow" until B&C? Is this why they weren't promoting B&C all this time? Or is the network in such a state of freefall that they aren't really able to maneuver that much?

I don't think it could be that drastic; I mean "Warehouse 13" is doing pretty well and is decently written, and has turned into their new flagship show (for lack of anything else).

I don't know.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

I think promoting it for the year would've been all kinds of bad business decision. You can't keep that kind of hype up for more than 3-4 months on TV and expect to live to it. Sure, the Board members that follow each piece of news and lap it up can be counted up, the general Public will forget about it or pee on it after it airs because it didn't live up to the year of hype.

2-3 months is a much better promotional period. More and you're taking unneccesary risks, less and you're cutting your knees off