SyFy demotees Blood & Chrome back to webisode series

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by V, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

They're too busy trying to crush the last remains of actual legitimate sci-fi on their network...

2. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

So I come in this thread every once in a while to check up on Blood and Chrome. Is this thing coming out soon or not? I heard it may be February? Any word?

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

No official release date has been announced, as far as I know. The word was that it would be released this fall, but that seems less and less likely.

4. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Commander Red Shirt

With the way things seem to be going I wouldn't be surprised if Blood & Chrome never sees the light of day. The latter seasons of NuBSG and Caprica pretty much killed of any interest people had in the franchise. At this point a reboot movie would probably be more successful.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, SyFy didn't shelve this product when the dailies came in, they paid for post-production to be finished. Based on that expense, I expect we'll see the pilot, even if it doesn't go to series.

6. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, if they'd killed it, they probably wouldn't still be working on it.

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Yeah, it's weird how people are claiming it's dead when guys like Doug Drexler are still talking about working on it. :lol:

But that's probably a sign of the times. Not getting a constant stream of info == it's dead.

It's still unclear whether this will ever air on TV, although if it costs a decent amount of money I don't see how they'd get any return from just making it a web series.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Sanctuary takes 40+ weeks to produce one episode for an hour long slot (And they've got 4 Seasons of Organization and strategy under their belt), and Blood and Chrome appears to have even more CGI then Sanctuary. So, really, it's not surprising a 2 hour Pilot won't be available for viewing until after the first of the year.

And as Robert Maxwell says, they have been talking about still working on it, if they were trying to bury it, they wouldn't still be investing money into it.

9. TheNatureRoy

TheNatureRoy Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think I read somewhere this was budgeted at around $4 million. It sounds like it's basically complete at this point so it would hard to imagine it not making it to air at some point.

However, I could imagine the Singer BSG film project making it less likely that this actually goes to series.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

By that logic Trek XII must be in the grave :lol::rommie:

11. Sindatur

Filming is finished, but, remember there are basically no sets, it's all CGI, so finishing filming is only the beginning of the process.

12. TheNatureRoy

BSG CG Supervisor Doug Drexler posted a couple weeks ago on his blog, "With the near completion of “Blood And Chrome”, I’ll finally have time to get back to posting on the Drex Files. Hang in there, and I’ll be back with more stuff that I know you’re gonna like!

"By the way, “Chrome” is hugely awesome, and I have to say that I have never been prouder of anything that I have ever been involved in. The show is all adrenaline, and I think that fans will be elated."

And yesterday BSG Visual Effects supervisor Gary Hutzel gave a talk at a SFX/CG panel and Drexler said, "God. We had this amazing sizzle reel that we did of the show and they won't let us show it. It's so disappointing because we're so proud of it."

I think filming was completed back in March or something like that, right? Sounds to me like they are quite far along at this point.

13. Sindatur

Yea March or May. I was just pointing out People were expecting it to air in Summer or November/December, making comments like "What's taking so long, they've been done filming for months" and "They're ashamed of it and trying to quietly bury it by not talking about it", etc. That expectation was unrealistic, IMHO, if a show like Sanctuary ahs been doing it for 4 years, and still takes 40+ weeks per hour episode.

A mistake SciFi in the past, and SyFy now have made, is they ginned up the buzz too early, and tried to hold it for too long, which ultimately led to disappointment in the Product, because you can only feel that intense excitement and expectation for just so long, before it becomes inevitable that you will be disappointed, because nothing could live up to that hype.

Better to keep things on the down low, until you are ready to air (Sell, whatever) and then start the marketing blitz at a more appropriate time closer to release.

If, for instance, Dark Knight Rises (Or Man of Steel), was pumping people up now, by the time that film finally makes it to screen, there would be no one left to watch it, aside from the die-hards following the thread on this board, following every little scrap that comes out

14. TheNatureRoy

I hear you. That said, it sounds like they may actually be reaching the point in the process where they technically could start doling out some information if they so chose (depending on strategic scheduling decisions of course).

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but I also read today that Drexler confirmed it won't be in 3D (there were a few rumors that it might be at one point). He said they did a test and it looked cool but a decision maker was scared off (probably budgetary concerns w/little expected payoff).

Despite the uncertainty, I would personally be surprised if this is released merely as a web series and nothing more, unless SyFy is going to do some sort of unprecedented push for a web series for whatever reason. I would think even as a one-off movie with no intent to take to series, it would do pretty good ratings, and the production costs are basically already sunk.

15. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

So no official word, but it's likely we will see something sooner or later? Probably soon enough?

16. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doug posted today that Blood and Chrome is done. He might actually mean the Fx work is now complete, but its still one of the later stages of post production. With probably scoring, and final sound mixing left.

17. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Depends on the production path they use. We use the old offline-online route; once offline is finished then it goes off to online and sound, but usually the FX is finished around the same time.

Though that never really happens. :p

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hmm...read the blog post and there still doesn't seem to be any confirmation on how it will be released, via TV or web. I suspect that the final decision on that hasn't been made. As for whether or not we'll see it, I'm pretty sure we will. A failed sitcom pilot is one thing. Millions of dollars in shooting budget with Drexler/Hutzel CG involvement would be way too much of a waste of money not to show it in some fashion. At worst, direct-to-DVD.

19. TheNatureRoy

I agree -- approx. $4 million already spent and a dedicated and hungry fanbase waiting for it.

I feel very confident we'll see it in some fashion and I would guess most likely as a Syfy television movie with the Blu-ray/DVD released a couple weeks later like they did with Razor.

The only way I can imagine it never seeing the light of day is Universal deciding they would rather bury it in order to create some more space and allow BSG to 'rest' for a while with the motion picture in development, even if it's likely still a few years down the line. (I'm not sure how the contract dealings work or if they would even have the power to do so at this stage, at least short of some renegotiation -- this is all beyond my understanding...)

That seems pretty unlikely to me, although I can easily imagine the movie production negatively impact Universal's desire to go to series with the concept, even in the (seemingly unlikely) event Syfy decides to pursue it beyond the backdoor pilot.

20. TheNatureRoy

BTW, a search on Twitter makes it obvious that employees at Quantum Mechanix (a company that makes licensed apparel, replicas, posters, etc. with BSG among their licenses) got to see Blood and Chrome today -- or at least parts of it.

Buzz continues to be very good and it's evidence things are moving behind the scenes, including marketing preparations, even if we haven't heard anything in quite a long while.