Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually like the suit and the chainmail-like texture. I love that there is a sense of regality in the weight of the cape. My only beef is that the suit needs a bit of red in the middle to break up the blue, which is what the old school underoo's did for the costume for the past 70 years. Either a patch of red along the Apollo's Belt or a belt made of red, much like the new-52 outfit (which I don't like as much).

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Same here. You going to the Citrix presentation as well? I'll warn ya. When they did this last year with Captain America, there were no previews.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, as of three minutes ago the (poor) footage was back up at comicbookmovie.com.

FWIW, here's all the dialogue from the trailer as well as I could make it out:

(probably JOR-EL, maybe ZOD?): "What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society intended? What if a child aspired to something greater?"

(WOMAN'S VOICE): "My son was in the bus. He saw what Clark did."

(PA KENT/COSTNER): "People are afraid of what they don't understand...It's not from this world, Clark...and neither are you."

(CLARK): "There's so many questions...where do I come from?"

(PA KENT): "You just have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be, Clark. Whoever that man is, good character or bad, is gonna change the world."

(CLARK): "My father believed that if the world found out who I really was, they would (unintelligible) me...(unintelligible) He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?"

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The tone of it seems all right, but I still dislike that costume. Mind you we really can't see anything of it in this.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd wanted to watch the video when it first came out yesterday, bu I think I'll hold off since I'll be seeing it with TDKR next week.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well, we see next to nothing in this bootleg so nothing is really spoiled.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. The footage at Comic-Con was the "Comic-Con trailer". It was about 2 minutes long.

The teaser trailer that will be shown in theaters will have half the footage and probably different music.

No doubt the Comic-Con trailer will be released. Probably a month before "The Man of Steel" debuts :lol:

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

When you think about it a teaser for a full trailer is pretty absurd. And yet it will get enough people stoked.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I remember people being pumped because of the Superman Returns trailer.... Just saying...

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. A teaser just get's peoples attention

"Hey, this is going to be coming out!"

Whereas a full trailer finally reveals what's coming out completely.

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That is the intent of all trailers, to get people pumped up to see a film. I liked Superman Returns a great deal.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Really? Didn't know that. :rolleyes:

Great. I thought it was ok. MANY people were disappointed. What I am saying: maybe we should wait to see more before we raise our expectations. Did we learn NOTHING from the Phantom Menace?

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course a good trailer can lead to a disappointing movie (and vice versa), but it's still far better for a movie to have good reaction to its trailers in terms of building buzz. It's just an early step, but you'd rather have that first step go well rather than result in a stumble.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

People waiting to see "this" trailer are going to be disappointed, since as has been mentioned this was the comic con extended teaser trailer, which was as Sammy mentioned about two minutes and twenty seconds. The one that we'll all see attached to "The Dark Knight Rises" is just the regular theatrical teaser which was reported last week to be I think half that length. It's going to be interesting to see what parts they won't show or edit in the actual teaser. There were just some fantastic shots in the comic con trailer.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I learned that fanbois ought to take it all less seriously and maybe go outside, throw a Frisbee around sometimes.

16. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Hey, I liked Phantom Menace too. I am a very forgiving viewer. Superman is probably my favorite fictional character so I do not think that anything could damped my enthusiasm.

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

We put too much value in trailers. For good and bad. Ultimately we see a film and we like it or we don't. Its just advertising. You go to a new restaurant, try a new food. You try something new based on curiosity. Whether from ads, a reviews. or suggestion of a friend. Often you may find out you don't like it or are disappointed.

Often we find new things we like and hate without any knowledgeable. People, places, and things. I have found on cable old movies I love by accident I had never heard of. Ones I hated too.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved SR, but I'd say this has the much stronger teaser. Both have that same kind of quiet, reverent tone, but you can really sense just how much bigger and more epic in scope this movie will be.

Plus, it has Superman getting punched through a building. :)

Yeah I always think back to the excellent teaser for Bay's Pearl Harbor, with the shots of the Japanese Zeros flying in over the small town and the people looking up in wonder....

It's easy to make something seem deep and moving and profound with the right music playing over it. Unfortunately as we know, the movie itself was nowhere near as good.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I play Frisbee Golf on my Wii. ;):lol:

20. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I love the Phantom Menace. Didn't require any lowered expectations either. :rolleyes: