Stream of Stars podcast is up - RDM discusses Daniel theories

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by WeAreTheBorg, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

What if nuKara is one of the head people? So the real Kara IS dead, and nuKara is one of the head people that are messengers from the higher beings or whatever pulling the strings.

2. Berg417448

Berg417448 Commander Red Shirt

So..a head Kara had a head creature of her own in the form of the piano guy?

3. CaptainHarlock

CaptainHarlock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

* Don´t answer everything, or almost all things, is a cheap way. It´s not artistic decision in most the cases. Is that you was writing without planning and don´t have how to answer.

4. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that's simplistic and discounts how a creative process works as well as tries to make it all work always the same way.

Pre planning also doesn't have a jot to do with any of it being good or not. Something can be "well thought out" and yet not really hold any answers or resounding meaning.

Also I imagine that RDM just might have many specific answers, and knows very well how they all work in his universe, this doesn't preclude sill not spoon feeding what he knows to us all.

I can get why a writer/creator might hold back some of what he knows and allow for gaps. The real world doesn't have pretty bows all on it.

Sharr

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

At the same time, if Daniel has nothing to do with the story then why manufacture him at all?

We were getting along fine without him.

6. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say he has nothing to do with the story. He plugged the gap in the Cylon model lineup and gave us additional background on Cavil and his motives.

7. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Commodore Commodore

Daniel isn't Starbuck's father? I like that idea. I still think he's special, but I'd favour an outcome where everybody isn't related to each other in some way.

^Why was Daniel conceived if not to be Starbuck's father? To explain why there was no Cylon model #7, which in turn added to the even-nastier side of Cavil we saw in 'No Exit.'

8. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

If you go back and listen to the Maelstrom podcast, he never says a single thing that wasn't true. Either related to the shows plot or the real life conversations with Katee etc... it was all true, he just left out the bit about her returning.

This time he is explicit. There is no Daniel/Starbuck connection. I believe it.

9. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I am disappointed that Daniel/#7 is not Kara's father, I really liked that notion.

10. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

I did too, at first, but then when it became accepted as almost fact by everyone since it fit so nicely, I began to dislike it because there would be too obvious.

11. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its been awhile since I listened to the podcast for Maelstrom, but I do remember thinking, he's being lawyerly in how he's dealing with Starbuck's "death" which basically told me Kara was coming back in some manner even as howls raged around this place at how badly Katee Sackhoff was treated and that she left because of some dispute or some such.

I had a similar response when RDM somewhat uncharacteristically (a fact he acknowledges) tackled this particular issue, it just rung in my ear as out of sync. It seemed (to me) he should have waited until after the Finale to respond to this issue in interviews or whatever... He could very well being upfront in this matter and if so, good I'd like to be surprised!

Sharr

12. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Daniel being Starbuck's father would have rendered the entire Hera storyline pointless. I'm SO glad they didn't go there and make super Kara the first true hybrid. What would have been the point of Hera otherwise?

13. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

Daddy Thrace performed at the Opera House. There's your missing link to bridge All Along The Watchtower and the Five Cylons.

14. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Either way we better get some resolution to her story in the final ep and who the hell are those head people? If we don't I will be really pissed off:scream:

15. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She really has gone where no (wo)man has gone before, to paraphrase Dr. McCoy from ST4.

-Chris

16. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because they needed another way to make Cavil look like a giant ass. I'm a little surprised that the Daniel/ Starbuck connection has been shot down. I'll be interested to see then what the connection between nuKara and the five is (I phrase it as nuKara simply because there may have not even been a connection between Kara and the five initially... Kara may have had to die to be somehow connected to the bigger picture.).

17. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

The first seems unnecessary and the second redundant. Cavil's nasty side has been displayed more than adequately on the series. Killing a faceless Cylon off-screen pales in comparison to his actions on New Caprica.

Whether or not Hera is the first hybrid is irrelevant... since nobody knows otherwise. IMO, her destiny was fulfilled when a unified group of Humans and Cylons volunteered to lay down their lives for her.

Damn it... is it Friday yet?!?

Edit: For clarification's sake... I don't care if Daniel and Kara are related. I simply enjoy speculating.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  18. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was also there to show how "flawed" Cavil was and how angry he was with the Five and Ellen specifically. He offed her favorite "child" to get back at her for making him so weak and so useless.

19. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

For one, Ds9. Sisko couldn't have just been a man, he had to be the son of a Prophet. In the Dune series (admittedly, the lesser novels written by Herbert's son), everything was made to tie back and connect to other parts, lessening the scope substantially. Nothing could just exist in the universe, but had to come as a direct result of something the reader already read.

That's all I can give you this early in the morning. Maybe my original post was too much of an umbrella statement, after all, but I still think it's a valid point on many science fiction sagas (I think also of the Hyperion series, many posthumous 'continuations' of HP Lovecraft's work, and, quite obviously, Star Trek). This criticism is more of a personal beef than anything. One of the reasons I think Lord of the Rings (as a fantasy) is brilliant is because it creates a fully living, breathing world that exists as a canvas for the plot rather than directly affecting it at every turn.

20. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh come on, by your argument every episode of TNG should never have been made because the plots are still the following: -

RIKER: "OMG, we have an alien doohicky causing us problems"
    PICARD: "Its OK, fortunately one of the senior officers is having a personal revelation that includes a solution."
    RIKER: "Excellent, how about a game of poker?"

Or DS9: -

KIRA: "OMG, we have an alien doohicky causing us problems"
    SISKO: "Its OK, fortunately one of the senior officers is having a morally grey personal revelation that includes a solution."
    KIRA: "Excellent, how about a Klingon coffee?"

or ENT: -

T'POL: "OMG, we have an alien doohicky causing us problems"
    SAM BECKETT: "Its OK, fortunately one of the senior officers is having a personal revelation very similar to one on TNG or VGR that includes a solution."
    T'POL: "Excellent, how about a naked gel massage?"

I could go on...