Stream of Stars podcast is up - RDM discusses Daniel theories

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by WeAreTheBorg, Mar 17, 2009.

1. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

And one big thing Ron Moore seemed to want to make clear so we don't all have a big expectation regarding Daniel and the finale, is that there's nothing to that. There's no Daniel-Starbuck connection.

He realized reading forums like this one that that theory had gained so much steam and just wanted to squash it so we're not distracted in the finale expecting something there.

Edit- oh also, that planet wasn't Jupiter

2. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Kara Thrace is really dead."
    - Just saying...

Though I have no specific expectations or more accurately I allow for the fact RDM probably came up with totally different ideas then what I might have.

Sharr

3. Verteron

Verteron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's fibbed in the podcasts before, ya know.

Anyway, we'll see in three days...

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

So Starbuck's dad taught her the "song" and she remembered to play it... for no reason whatsoever?

5. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe it has to do with Daniel Graystone?

6. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

I think so... he did say Daniel would figure into Caprica. I don't see how it could be both.

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

To answer another posters concern, the above statement is very different than saying that Starbuck's father is not special somehow. This just states that Starbuck's Dad is not Daniel. The fact that she remembers him playing the song long ago just reinforces that idea that he was special somehow. We just don't know how exactly. I'm guessing he is the head people but he isn't Daniel. If that's the case, Daniel is not the head people. And, of course, his name on the music was not listed as Daniel anyway.

Mr Awe

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kara Thrace was really dead. nuKara even found her body and burned it. ;)

9. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. This is a 'lie' that turned out to be true all along. Not sure why so many people have such a hard time figuring that out.

As to RDM's Daniel comments (I just listened to the podcast), I'm actually a little relieved. To manufacture Daniel so late in the game and have him be a major player seemed a little too contrived for me.

That's not to say that I will be thrilled with the explanations they go with, but I think this is the right call for now.

I often think that this show will be enjoyed to a much greater extent by those that will watch it under a less powerful microscope. ;)

10. BigPharaoh

BigPharaoh Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

where is it up? i can't find it on hulu or scifi...

11. Berg417448

Berg417448 Commander Red Shirt

12. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

One thing that (I find) plagues a lot of science fiction sagas both on TV and in literature is the writer's tendency to try and answer Everything, tying the entire history of the universe into the details of his plot. I've been nervous about BSG's finale for that reason, hoping RDM wouldn't limit the scope of his universe with gift wrapping and bows. However, because of details like this, I am all the more intrigued about where this is all going than I might otherwise have been.

13. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

So they spent an entire episode on an issue that could have been resolved in three lines:

"Here you go Starbuck! I drew this for you!"
    "Oh my it's the same song my dad taught me!"
    "OMG how do you know that song?!"

Instead, we got 40 minutes of emo.

14. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I assume you're referring to "Someone To Watch Over Me".

It's a shame you didn't like the episode. I thought it was a masterful episode that conveyed the necessary mood and emotional death that was needed to build to such a revelation. I felt it was a great counterpart to Maelstrom where we learned about Kara's mother.

I also think it's a little unfair to put it like that, really. You could basically sum up every episode like that if you wanted to, even those that are widely regarded as excellent. Example?

33:

"The Cylons keep showing up every 33 minutes. And that ship that was missing is headed right for us."
    "Phew, blew it up just in time."
    "Oh, and look, the Cylons stopped showing up. I wonder if it's related. Who knows..."

Actually, this would be a fun idea for a thread :D.

15. CommodoreNero

CommodoreNero Captain Captain

DOWNLOADED:

"Caprica Six has an arrogant head Baltar. Oh, irony!"
    "Xena #3 is a calculating power hungry whore!"
    "Rocks hurt"

16. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. CommodoreNero

CommodoreNero Captain Captain

You were right. This IS fun! haha. :techman:

18. Mr Awe

That seems to be a bit of an overgeneralization. I've read a lot of science fiction and have watched it on TV and I don't recall that being a big problem. Do you have examples of what you mean?

Mr Awe

19. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is true of any plot in any series its why plot alone can't really sustain and you need to care about the characters or become invested in them at some some level.

I'm sure there will be some answers, perhaps not what we're all expecting but there will be though as the show has often shown answers tend to breed more questions...

Sharr

20. Mr Awe

Who suggested it should be plot only? No one that I can recall.

Mr Awe