STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

You need to read what he said more carefully. :cool:

2. KGator

KGator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ladies and gentlemen, I've seen to Leonard Part 6, Showgirls, and Battlefield Earth, and I can say without hyperbole that this is a million times worse than all of them put together.

Sincerely,

Kent Brockman

3. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    What's worse ? Nemesis ?

4. johnjm22

johnjm22 Commander Red Shirt

If you adjust all the older TNG & TOS movies for inflation, this is where STID stands domestically right now:

The Motion Picture...............260M
    Star Trek 2009....................257M (140M Budget)
    The Voyage Home................235M
    The Wrath Of Khan..............216M
    Into Darkness...................200M (190M Budget)
    The Search For Spock..........180M
    First Contact......................166M
    Generations........................142M
    The Undiscovered Country....141M
    Insurrection.......................118M
    The Final Frontier................104M
    Nemesis.............................59M

Factoring in world wide numbers, and the film's budget, it doesn't look like STID is going to be any more profitable than ST2009 (maybe slightly less).

I think that's a bit of a disappointment for Paramount.

Hopefully they'll cut the budget for the next film which will force the writers to focus more on story and less on FX/action. Sometimes limitations are the best thing for creativity.

5. KGator

KGator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was more of an opportunity to pull out one of my favorite Simpson's quotes than a true commentary on the relative quality of any particular movie. I'm just making fun of the occasional extremism shown on this board.

6. Franklin

Franklin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any series of only 79 shows that ran the gambit of quality from strong dramatic episodes like "Balance of Terror", "Journey to Babel", and "The Immunity Syndrome" to fun stories like "The Trouble with Tribbles", "A Piece of the Action", and "I Mudd", to pure schlock like "Spock's Brain", "For the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky", and "And the Children Shall Lead" is going to attract a variety of fans for a variety of reasons.

Does "The Squire of Gothos" feel more like "Star Trek" than "The Doomsday Machine"? How does one know?

What about "The Gamesters of Triskelion" compared to "Shore Leave"?

What about TMP compared to TVH?

Where the hell is the TOS archetype so many seem to use as the measure of something's "Trekness?" (Ususally to say why something isn't Trek.)

7. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

So, after four weeks STID is already only 9 million shy of ST's total worldwide lifetime gross.
    It already made 50 million more in non US-markets after those four weeks than ST made in its entire run.

ST went on to make another 50 million after four weeks in distribution in the US.

Yeah, STID surely is a "disappointment". :guffaw:

8. CrazyHorse89

CrazyHorse89 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Reading this thread has made me realise just how American-centric some people are.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Usually Americans.

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I feel like people saying "it's not Star Trek" have an idealised version, instead of an actual version that the rest of us watched.

11. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The action and destruction in this movie helped it to do much better overseas. I think the action will be the same in the next one as it was in STID, perhaps more. I thought the action was fine in this movie as it was not gratuitous, it simply helped to move on the story.

12. johnjm22

Yes, it's a financial disappointment for Paramount. You're looking at revenues, not profits.

It's not going to be anymore profitable then the last Trek film.

I think Paramount was hoping to turn Star Trek into one of those big time summer mega hits. That's why they spent nearly 200M on it's production.

That's the kind of budget that gets spent on movies like Iron Man, Transformers ect. But STID isn't going to be anywhere near as profitable as those types films.

13. CrazyHorse89

You know, it's quite funny. Some people are so intent on seeing this movie labelled as a 'dissapointment', so eager to kill the JJ-verse dead, that they will claim that lower than expected box-office figures in the domestic market are the big story here. But if you're standing on the other side of the Pacific or the Atlantic, it's pretty clear that this isn't the big story at all. For that, you have to look at the film's global baseline.

That's what I was getting at.

14. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

It's not that so much as trying to keep your attention away from the foreign grosses.

15. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

No.

16. johnjm22

Are you referring to my post?

Did you read all of it? I was factoring in the world wide box office numbers.

It's not pulling in the type of money worldwide that you want from a film with a 200M budget and a summer time release. I think Paramount was hoping for more.

17. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

There will be a third Bad Robot Trek - the haters will simply have to deal with it.

18. CrazyHorse89

I wasn't referring to any post in particular. I've read nearly two hundred pages of this stuff so everything has blurred into two or three meta-narratives.

This film has cracked the overseas market in a way that no previous Star Trek film, including ST09, ever has. What's more, it's shown strong legs in important markets like China.

19. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

This.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. Paramount is disappointed with the domestic gross but happy that their strategy for building Trek up in the international market is working so well.

The bottom line is this: another Trek movie in three years, written and produced by Bad Robot in the successful style of their last two Trek movies. Will the budget come down a bit? Maybe so.