STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

I did my part last night as I paid full pop for a 3D IMAX showing (second viewing overall--best I can manage with my schedule and kids). Will probably catch it one more time before it leaves the cinemas altogether but not in IMAX (no time between now and next week when Man of Steel dislodges Trek from there).

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I remember is the endless phone sex ads and falling asleep in front of Enterprise only to be woken up by the theme music at the end. And stupid me thought it was boring! It was a whole different show when I took my viewing into my own hands and fuck you'd the tv stations.

And yeah I have since bought it on dvd, three times in fact as gifts.

That was the last show I tried to watch on commercial television.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it.

Every big action movie released in May and June is targeting the same audience in the U.S. - folks who are particularly "skiffy geeks" don't represent much of a factor.

A buddy comedy or a rom-com or even an animated feature might represent counter-scheduling, but as far as action blockbusters are concerned Star Wars would be no more or less a concern than Fast And Furious 9.

Outside the U.S., of course, Paramount pursues an entirely different, staggered release schedule.

4. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Commodore Commodore

You can't seriously believe that?

All the hype will be about Star Wars, Trek will be completely forgotten/ignored by the mainstream and no amount of marketing dollars will make a difference.

Hell how many ST:ID reviews/interviews with Abrams was Star Wars brought up somehow? A fair few. A lot of reviews seemed to see Trek 2 as a warm-up for Star Wars VII.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Unless Paramount pushes the next Star Trek film into high gear, it won't be premiering against the publicity machine that will be Abram's Star Wars film, which has a 2015 release date. It will be facing off against one of the side-story movies, assuming Disney goes forward with those and makes their 2016 release date. So, the hype won't be as much of a problem.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Their first projection was right on the nose.

RAMA

7. Admiral Buzzkill

You can't seriously still believe that Star Trek is something "special" in the entertainment industry? :lol:

Whenever Star Wars opens, three other big would-be blockbuster movies will open in the same month. Some will succeed, some won't. Star Trek is just one of those.

8. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

For better or for worse, excepting the Clone Wars animated movie, the STAR WARS films still gross above the TREKs, separately or collectively. At the moment Marvel seems to be the biggest challenge to Lucasfilm supremacy.

If they go forward with having one WARS film every year, instead of every three, that might take some of the prestige factor out. Bond and LORD OF THE RINGS could score critically on a yearly basis, but more often than not you end up with a SAW or FRIDAY the 13th annual non-event.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I was just going to comment about the possibility of the next Star Wars movie not actually being any good - thereby lessening its box office dominance. But then I remembered The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones.

10. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not just one of those side stories - the first of those side stories. So its an almost untested area. Depending on how they film there might even be a trailer with Episode VII

It would make sense for Trek to make the most of it's 50th Anniversary year, the actual date is in August.

11. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

September. September 8,1966 is when it premiered here in the States. :techman:

But September is usually a poor month for films. So they either go May, July or December.

12. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

A Christmas 2015 opening would be a good way to kick off the anniversary year, plus we wouldn't have to wait quite so long.

13. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ah right I saw 09/08/1966 and forgot you write dates the wrong way round ;)

UK didn't get it till summer 1969.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

September isn't a good box office month.

15. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Okay, lets go with the German TV-premier of Star Trek: May 27, 1972 :)

16. Admiral Buzzkill

It looks like the earlier in May, the better.

17. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Pfft... I'm only interested in the 50th Anniversary of The Cage. ;)

18. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agree. If new SW is coming out in may 2016. it would great stratagy for paramount using all the hype that follows JJAbrams Star Wars movie and realase Star Trek 3 in early December.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

December's good for Oscar bait and Harry Potter. Spring/Summer it is - almost certainly May.

And STID heads into this weekend with a domestic take of $188,440,439. It will probably end the weekend a million or so shy of the 200 million dollar mark, but looks pretty strong for winding up with 230 million domestic or a little better by the end of its run.

20. Cyrus

Cyrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For whatever it's worth STID is $8 million behind it's predecessor at the same point in release (just before the 4th weekend), $188.4M vs $196.7M. ST09 went on to make 60 million more the rest of the way, so 230 million for STID may be achievable.

STID is losing 433 theaters this weekend but still is in over 3100 theaters.