STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Commodore Commodore

Not even close, CrazyHorse89.

I disagree. Observing various threads on nuTrek, a large, defensive body of members do behave like someone with a personal or professional stake in the success of the film. For example, I like some of the Marvel Comics films, but if one underperforms, it is not a matter for me or others you cite to scramble, wondering if it will add numbers in this or that territory, make it up on home video, etc.

At the end of the day, it is just a film, and this is just a discussion where the rule does not say "only BR/JJ supporter opinion welcome."

Some make it their priority to keep posting rather bitter comments attempting to criticize others for their opinion, which is (in my view) beyond the border of trolling, as it is not rare. Further, if nuTrek is the wonder that they hope/wish it to be, there woud be no need for such a concentrated, defensive effort. Honestly, if a few, random observations threaten nuTrek, then the film was in danger right out of the gates.

...but the danger comes from superheroes, comedic oddballs and fast cars, not a few message board members.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bear in mind that by the time the 50th anniversary arrives, kids who watched Star Trek as teens during its first run will be collecting Social Security.

This is not an audience that's of much use to the studio. For one thing we'll be getting the Senior Discount on our tickets. :lol:

3. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Funny, I AM collecting Social Security and I did get the senior discount ($6.00).

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, but they can't count on us through too many more sequels - they'll have to start factoring the mortality rate into their opening weekend box office projections. ;)

5. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They got plenty of money from this 28 year old! :)

6. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

On the Citadel or The TrekBBS Armada Starbase
    I went again today to a huge IMAX and the theater was about 80-85% full. People are still going to see it.

7. Keeper

Keeper Commodore Commodore

If ID keeps pace with 09 then I expect to be seeing it in IMAX in late August.

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Despite the hardcore naysayers, the theater I saw it for the third time today was really really packed. The movie is going to do well.

9. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

On the Citadel or The TrekBBS Armada Starbase
    I really hope this happens.

10. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Commodore Commodore

And plenty from this 25-year-old! (Rad user name and avatar, btw!) :techman:

11. Jeff O'Connor

So damn proud.

12. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A little "Khan" blood with McCoy serum may help extend the aging fan base a bit...

13. Jeff O'Connor

Make it so, Number One.

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to turn in my trekkie card. The movie has been out for almost 2 weeks and I haven't seen it yet. I guess you can blame part of the below expectation boxoffice on me. I do plan to see it soon.

The last time I didn't see a trek movie on the first weekend was when TMP was released, but I was more of a casual fan back then.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  15. Jeff O'Connor

Haha, it's OK! Enjoy it when you do get to see it.

16. Roald

Roald Commander Red Shirt

So, it was *YOU*..!!?! :klingon::klingon::klingon:

17. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I caught this again earlier today, and it was a full theater. I even went at 10AM to beat the crowds, but nope, it was sold out. I had to wait for the 11AM show. It was a packed house.

A few in the audience even gasped at the "big reveal" :lol:

I'm relieved it's done so well in the second week. The competition looked pretty big, but luckily Hangover 3 was a flop (relatively to 2).

Anyone worrying about a sequel in 2016, don't. Paramount will have another movie ready for the big anniversary, just as they did in 1991. Will the budget be 190+? Probably not. This is always been a franchise which had the ability to do more with less.

18. Roald

Roald Commander Red Shirt

Don't forget, Star Trek (2009) was made with a 150 million dollar budget, and that film looked pretty good to me too...

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Box office success says that ST:TMP, ST IV, "First Contact", "Star Trek" (2009) and "Star Trek Into Darkness" all reached a "general audience".

20. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

This 30 year old has seen it twice, and may go along a third or even a fourth time!