STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I see one good thing and one bad thing (bolded). First, they clearly aren't looking at Star Trek 3 as the last one with this cast or the end of this tentpole iteration. Second, they really don't have any idea what to do about the crowded glut of Hollywood blockbusters. Are Avengers 2 and Star Wars VII still scheduled to open on the same day?

2. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Hey, as far as I'm concerned it's their marketing and advertising problem.

They have a winner of a movie franchise, they want to make more, and they want to compete better in a crowded market of big-ticket movie blockbusters. This means they are going to work harder to make a movie that will be even better and more profitable, and this is great news for the fans.

3. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hollywood will continue to see diminishing returns on their tentpole films, because everyone is trying to hit a grand slam in the summer now. Making the time a film has to make money shorter and shorter.

4. NuFan

NuFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good to hear it directly from the CEO of Viacom after a summer of lying from questionable fans with no access to the books.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Dauman attributed it to so many movies out this year and a lack of immediate revenue from licensing.

Timing is everything...
    :vulcan:

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You would do better to put the period on your sentence right there.

This part - the part which ought to have been omitted:
    is an unnecessary swipe at a particular fan group, and I'd much prefer not to see that here.

Statement, opinion, speculation, hypothesis - all of these are open (within reasonable limits) to criticism, to attack, even to ridicule.

But the people who make those statements, offer those opinions, and so forth - do not attack them; do not make accusations of lying or other offense; do not make insinuations concerning their character. Bad form, those.

Attack the content, not the person.

7. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

The amount of 150m+ films are ridiculous now, especially since most people only see 3-4 movies a summer at most. ST09 didn't really have that much competition.

8. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

It seems like all the nerds in Japan would have watched a download by now.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I maybe only see 3-6 movies a year, never mind summer.

10. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well it's going to get more and more crowded especially with multiple Star Wars and Avatar movies incoming. Hopefully Trek can get a wee bit of breathing space next time and not get too close to one of those two aforementioned juggernauts.

Though we are all aware that the new Trek can give most tentpoles a run for their money in terms of quality and enjoyment, there still remains a vast majority who will never give Trek a chance.

11. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the cinema I maybe only see 6-12 movies a decade, never mind a year.

12. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I wonder if Japan's box office is hurt by their policy to wait after everybody else has had the movie before showing it.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'm sure this is true to some degree, but it does make me feel old! It's clearly a generational thing, but the thought of watching STID via some cruddy download on a PC screen/iPad, or worse, streaming it to a quality monitor, is extremely unappealing to say the least!

14. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Captain Captain

Any of you preorder the limited edition bluray set that comes with the 1/1 scale phaser?

IIRC it's only available from Amazon...sells for $80.

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2 openings this week, Argentina and Japan in limited release. Following week is full release.

RAMA

17. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

We are almost there!!! The final push!

Lets see how much it makes :bolian:

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Most of the time we know when a movie opens but do we know when STID will be out of theaters completely? The DVD is less than a few weeks away so I wonder when STID officially closes?

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing it will be out of theaters before Sept 10th.

Aug 14th gross: $226,927,100

It might hit $227.5 million by then, which will be the final domestic total, barring re-release in IMAX.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral