STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

Bad Chinese movie people! Bad! That's naughty!

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

To get ahead in business, always owe people money.

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

That sounds like a rule of acquisition

A contract is a contract is a contract, but only between Chinese.

4. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

IT seems that the movie here hasn't done very well...

1- There was only one billboard in caracas for the movie

2- The only publicity was on a video -billboard with a very quick and choppy video (10 secs max).

3- By today (Beggining of the second week) Its cinema venues has been reduced by 2/3.

4- No tv adds anywhere.

Anyway I've never had any hopes for the Venezuelan people as a whole, who flock in masses to see "The Smurfs 2: the sequel you NEVER wanted". After all this is the same people who elected Chavez and his "son" Nicolas Maduro. :rommie:

5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Cumberbatch-san bids you go see STID

[​IMG]

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

^That is awesome.

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Holy crap--460K weekend, adding 120 theaters...! Hell of a death rattle there. Or does Japan enter into the picture?

8. NuFan

NuFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe Khan will be Buddhist in the next one.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

10. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Japan jumps into the picture on August 23rd.

It was a good weekend here in Caracas, it seems that most of the middle class just went to the movies and most if not all cinemas were packed. Good reactions from the audience, excluding one or two fools. :)

11. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

STiD still had a good run at the box office, most sequels don't do as well as their original films, however some of this sequels were always better than the first films....empire sticks back, attacks of the clones and spider man 2 are good examples of films that were much better than their original films however did not earn as much at the box office.

I have a feeling that Trek 3 will be the big one..... STiD was kind of a hit and a miss for me. I surely hope the producers will correct all the mistakes they made in STiD.

Karl Urban wants an original story for the third film , that is a good start.

12. ralph

ralph Captain Captain

Here in Brazil, although popular mobilization, boxoffice increased from $ 1.9 M to $ 5.1 M. The Brazilian trekkers helped in social networks. The reaction was excellent. No-trekkers fans liked it and they want to see the next movie. Then we will have a larger audience in 2016. I was happy. :techman:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  13. ralph

ralph Captain Captain

I have a feeling that STID was kind of Batman Begins. It brought theatre to the attention of a wide public. Star Trek 2009 offered something of interest for the general public, but it caused little impact.

But I agree with Urban. The public wants to see original stories, creative stories. But I think JJ. Abrams and cia like to recycle old stories.

14. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Into Darkness still kicking! Epic Monday!

$226,300,625

15. Smellmet

Smellmet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It certainly is - bigger daily pulls than Man of Steel and Fast & Furious 6 - very impressive

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

STID hit $225 million both domestically and internationally. Intl updated to $225. 3 million. Awaiting Japan!

17. O. Brien

O. Brien Ensign Newbie

18. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

So what are they hoping to get from Japan?

12 Mill?

25 Mill? :drool:

19. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom-ceo-crowded-summer-tentpole-598750

"Paramount Pictures launched two strong tentpoles in Star Trek Into Darkness and World War Z , which are on their way to nearly a billion dollars combined at the worldwide box office," he said. "The next quarter will show significant profitability for Paramount, including from these two films, but it will likely be moderately less than we anticipated due to the crowded tentpole schedule this summer and the delay of certain film licensing deals into next fiscal year."

He later added: "This summer had a particularly high volume of tentpole pictures from all the studios combined." Viacom hopes to drive tentpoles' success for a longer period of time, but the crowded release schedule "limited a lot of pictures, ours included," he added.

So, "strong" but "moderately less than we anticipated"

20. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

That's an extremely fair summation of STID's overall performance IMHO, and seems to have been the prevailing opinion on these boards for sometime - naysayers not withstanding.