STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Wasn't that Star Trek 09?

2. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I meant a direct continuation of that story. :p

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Calling it an "analysis" is debasing the term. It's just playing arbitrary games with numbers in order to prove something that ain't so.

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

silliness or not, big budgets don't make a great movie. TWOK and TUC were shot on small budgets and are two of the best films in the series.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Nah. Did the comments also include the other chestnut? CBS needs to offer money and support to the fanfilm producers, get them all to work together, and start airing their efforts in prime time. :devil:

6. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

No argument there, but as it relates to Trek on the big screen?

The studios have found a system that works for them on the money making end and it doesn't look like lower budgets are coming anytime soon.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What we need is cheap ass reality science fiction.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

And here I was making a snarky comment about Trek 09 and forgot it was technically the sequel in progression. :D

9. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Those movies were made 20-30 years ago.

10. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

No.

And what would that be?

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^Since the last few pages of this thread have centered around folks trying to prove Into Darkness was unsuccessful, I'm going with that.

12. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I'll just leave this here...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgffCdhEQgQ&sns[/yt]

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The next film might have a smaller budget than STID, maybe more on par with ST (2009)

14. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

This is my feeling as well. Even though STiD did better box office numbers all around it wasn't a run away blockbuster by current standards.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went back to the same ST09 budget for the next Trek film.

15. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

I may be in the minority here, but I cannot tell any difference FX-wise on a movie with a $150m budget (Star Trek), $190m (Into Darkness) budget or even a $225m (Man of Steel) budget.:shrug:

16. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

As many have mentioned here and elsewhere, the reported budget is a "funny money" number. Studios do things like pay themselves to rent studio space and equipment, so who knows how much the studio actually paid out of pocket hard cash.

17. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Except that hasn't happened. All I've seen is people posting facts.

I think you have more people on this thread that seem to have a problem with the numbers not supporting "best movie evah!!1!" That's okay though. I think the last comment I read was about how someone doesn't think the $190 million budget was actually really spent on making the film, lol. :rofl:

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Into Darkness was converted to 3D and shot in IMAX, so presumably that added some expense (in addition to some cost of inflation). Man of Steel also shot in IMAX and converted to 3D; on top of that it had actors like Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner who presumably demand more of a salary than the more unknown cast of the Abrams films.

Of course, Opus is right that these reported numbers don't tell the whole story.

19. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless you work for or know someone at one of the studios, how do you know what numbers are correct?

20. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

$450m+ added to what will no doubt be stellar home video sales equals another Bad Robot Trek with a similar budget, which, even if slightly reduced, will probably not be noticed on screen.

Honestly, this is all I'm concerned about. I don't need Avengers box office numbers to validate my opinion the movie is f**king awesome.