STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

No its not self denial. check out all this films,

The dark knight

Spiderman 2

Shrek 2

Pirates of the Caribbean: dead man's chest.

Transformers 2

Matrix 2

X-Men 2

All this films, I mentioned all performed better overseas in comparison to their original films.

Majority of the time it happens. Point is this, Paramount wanted a huge increase from ST09 both in the USA and foreign Box office. Sadly it didn't happen in USA.

That is all I am saying. I don't get the ridicule.

I see once again I am the one single voice. look fellow trek fans, I get the loyalty and always trying to put a positive spin on STiD box office. however we need to face the facts for once.

STiD underperformed in the USA in comparison to ST09..Why is this even a debate.
    ST 09 =257m (NO 3D)...Adjusted for inflation 274m

STiD 2012 = 224m (3D)

STid would not even have beaten Wrath of Khan if you take away the 3D ticket sales.

WOK would have made 213m in USA if the film came out in 2012.

STiD without 3D sits at 180m-190m

Its the solid truth...all this are facts ...it is as truthful as saying the earth is round.

http://boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=star%20trek

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man 2 made a little less than Spider-Man overseas actually.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

STiD overperformed abroad in comparison to ST09..Why is this even a debate.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course you don't. :rolleyes:

The big winner in many respects so far this year is Furious 6 - it's third of the top five biggest films domestically, but had by far the lowest budget.

Into Darkness rounds out the top five most successful domestic releases of 2013. Three of the four films ahead of it have significantly higher supposed budgets.

5. BillJ

BillJ Admiral Admiral

Do you work for Paramount or Bad Robot?

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Ummmm, yep.

Watch the domestic sales of the STiD Blu-Ray hit the roof. "Nemesis" was an underperformer in the US box office, too. Then its DVD set sales records on its first weekend of US release. Maybe all those angry fans who blackbanned the premiere?

7. BillJ

BillJ Admiral Admiral

I posted a link to an article a couple weeks ago that showed Into Darkness Blu-ray held the #1 and #2 spots on Amazons pre-order list. Something they say rarely happens. :techman:

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Tee hee. :rommie:

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

After the recent "100 Greatest of All-Time" issue, I don't know how anyone can take anything Entertainment Weekly prints seriously.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The popular expression once used to describe this was "everyone is out of step but Johnny." ;)

11. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That's probably all Paramount and CBS care about, too. There's money to be made, therefore they make more.

Translation: "why don't people here agree with me ?"

Seriously, STID was a big success. Not a record-breaker, but still.

When that happens, it's time to consider that you're the one who's wrong.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless there are one or more unexpected breakout hits for the rest of the summer that gross more than $225 million domestic, Star Trek Into Darkness looks to end up as the sixth highest grossing summer release in the domestic market behind Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, Man of Steel, Monsters University, and Fast & Furious 6. Its worldwide ranking will be at least one rung lower and possibly a few rungs lower depending on how things shake out.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I hate to spoil your meal of locusts and wild honey, out there crying in the wilderness—really, I do—but I'd appreciate it if you didn't keep trying to make this out to be a contest of you against everyone. Present a solid argument, however, and I'm pretty sure that argument will get all the respect it's due.

That the Earth is round is provable, and thus a fact. What you're bringing are not facts, and repeated earnest declarations that your claims are facts renders them no more factual than they were to begin with. At best, you've got details, and I don't think your interpretation of them is necessarily the correct one.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

No just you and the bubble you are living in. No one is trying to say it was a sucess on the level of Skyfall, TDKR, Iron Man 3 etc but the film had made a good profit broken franchise records and by the time all non box office $$$ are taken into like DVD/Blu Ray STID will have made Paramount a lot of money.

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I thought the movie was f***ing stupid, but there's no doubt it was a success. It's going to continue to rake in the dough from bluray and DVD sales.

16. BillJ

BillJ Admiral Admiral

Just like I said in the Rise of the Federation book thread where I was one of the few that didn't like it: you can't win them all. :techman:

17. datagal

datagal Admiral Admiral

I know.
    I bought that issue and only thing that pop in my mind was......Where's Fargo?

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Think it might have made more if Khan had been revealed right from the start in the trailers? I appreciate they were going for the surprise but would they have been able to generate more buzz?

19. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I know some people will claim anything just to hate this movie. But to call Entertainment Weekly the most trusted news source of entertainment news? That takes the cellular peptide cake with mint frosting!

20. KGator

KGator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Success or failure seems to be in the eye of the beholder. Just as a girl can seem beautiful to some and unattractive to others. If your standards were for STID to set all kinds of records and compete with many of the heavy hitting big budget blockbusters then it was a dissapointment. If you simply wanted STID to be commercially viable and make a profit to justify a sequel then the results were extremely satisfying.

I mean hey, you can argue whether the grass is green or every color but green . . . it only affects your perception of the object. It doesn't change the actual grass.