STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Laugh all you want. However what they said is the solid truth. it is left for the wise to humble themselves and listen instead of making a joke out of the truth that remains unchangeable.

Before Trek came out. another trusted entertainment site box office mojo said if STiD doesn't earn up to 250m in USA it would be a disappointment. Sadly, STiD has not done that.

Are you going to laugh at box office mojo as well?

oh well....:rolleyes:

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty certain most studios would LOVE to have $450m+ "disappointments" akin to STID.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

STID made more than ST09. There will be another movie. That's all I really care about on the silver screen front, anyway...

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm feeling the need for some good old Picard facepalming right now.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well STID lack of inclusion could simply mean it performed along or under expectations in it's domestic market. If you look at the perfomrance of the ST films outside of ENglish speaking countries they have performed badly.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

The title of the article is "The 15 Most IMPRESSIVE box office performances."

Identity Thief, for example, is one of the worst movies ever made, and it still managed to rake-in $135m. That pretty fucking impressive.

Star Trek did what people expected it to do.

7. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

This bit
    and this bit
    Are completely incompatible.
    You mean "hoped". They're still gonna make a big profit and there will be a third movie. What more could a fan want? EVERY movie wishes it could pull Dark Knight/Avengers numbers. That doesn't mean every movie that doesn't is a disappointment. There is quite a leap between making a profit and taking over the world.
    You mean the *massive* overseas gains over the last movie? Alienating new fans?

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing about The Dark Knight is that nobody there hoped to make a billion with it. Batman Begins was a modest success, and they expected TDK to perform the same. It's just the hype around Ledger's death AND that the film was surprisingly well done that it made those huge numbers. But the point is that they never intended to make that HUGE box office smash hit, they just intended to make a good film. And if you ask me, it shows.

nuTrek Into Darkness was intended to make big bucks first, by copying elements from all successful films coming before it. They wanted to expand the foreign market, so they put London in it and advertised the hell out of that. They wanted TDK and Avengers numbers, so they tried to cash in on that now rather stereotypical super villain with a twisted plan story, and went all out trying to sell this as this DARK film. And they even included the glass prison from Avengers and a forced version of the hero to villain dialog from TDK. And they looked back at what Trek film was the most popular, and ripped that off as much as they could.

STD just feels pretty much in your face to me in that regard.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No, what it means (and the only thing it means) is that Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't given a spot on a 15-slot list which the list's own writer acknowledges is highly subjective and "totally-up-for-debate".

[Aside: I hadn't read anything at EW for a while, but it seems they're now in direct competition with the Huffington Post in the "let's see how much unnecessary pop-up clutter we can jam onto each page" sweepstakes. I used to find their online presentation pretty easy-to-read, but now - holy crap, what an annoying mess of a "trusted entertainment website" they've become.]

No.

Of course, you've neglected to provide a link to where BoxOfficeMojo is supposed to have said this, but if you follow the link in the EW excerpt above, you'll see that BOM shows Iron Man 3 with a clear lead, Man of Steel next, and then F&F6, Oz, and STID all grouped pretty close together in the 3-4-5 spots, and not that far from the $250-mil domestic milepost. I wouldn't be surprised to see two of the three reach that before their runs end.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Funny, I thought Star Trek did transparent cell walls long before the Avengers.

Also, big planet destroyers not new.

Neither is hero talking to the villain.

Nor homages.

Really, nothing in this post is an accurate representation of reality.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

There's not enough juice left in the tank for any of those three to reach $250 million domestic.

12. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

the massive overseas gain was expected as the film was promoted well overseas and mots people saw STiD overseas due to BC's popularity and it been the sequel to another Hollywood action film.

the domestic box office is were the real problem is and it fell a little short.

My gosh why is that so hard to admit, I don't like getting into arguments with people that choose to be in self denial especially when the truth is right in front of them.

EW and Box Office Mojo are simply doing their jobs when they give an in depth analysis of a movie earnings at the box office.

there is nothing funny about it.

If you look at EW list you would notice that sequels like fast and furious 6 and iron man 3 both made the list. STiD did not in other words the film earnings was a bit disappointing.

Also, something can be great and still be a slight disappointment.

STiD is far far from a flop, it did good at the box office but not GREAT. Taking into consideration the 3D prices.

If STiD did not have 3D, the movie would have finished somewhere between 180m-190m in USA. That is a disappointment when you take into account ST 09 257M earnings (without 3D)

Also again, may I add that the majority of trek fans are from USA, Trek never really had a huge following overseas ...expect maybe for the United Kingdom.

there is a reason why most Trek films did not even have any box office overseas record until now.:)

Lastly for people saying STiD had huge competition from iron man 3, the hang over and F&f 6. I would say this.

In may 2007. Spiderman 3, Shrek 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean :At Worlds End, all came out in the month of May and yet their box office earnings were close. All 3 films did a little above 300m in USA and all 3 films earned more than 700m dollars each world wide.

there is really not enough excuses for trek, yes there was competition but part of this film box office little failure was the fact that the film lacked originality and it was much more of a fan service.

people saw STiD once and ran back to watch WOK on their DVD's.

people saw ST09 over and over again because it was new, bold and original and had nothing to compare too.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

No.

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

That's crazy.

15. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only ones who know with any certainty whether Star Trek Into Darkness over-performed, under-performed or hit its target are the folks at Paramount and Bad Robot.

Everyone else is guessing.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

No, just self-serving denial.

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Ummm, how come it didn't "alienate" overseas fans - nor overseas members of the general public?

"Fan service" only affected US fans?

Perhaps they were just angry and jealous that the movie opened OS first? :devil:

18. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any actual proof or are you making things up again?

19. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For me that's pretty much an oxymoron.:rofl:

Nope, it means it didn't make the personal list of one reviewer, who admits his selection is arbitrary and up for discussion. There's nothing wrong with that since discussion is his job, he's not laying claim to ultimate truth.

I didn't alienate me, quite the contrary. If anything I've seen more old fans dislike it because of what they see as dissing TOK. I don't understand how a completely new fan would even recognise old fan service without watching old time Trek.

Box office numbers are driven mostly by non fans, since there are so many more of them. Most non fans I know liked it, those that didn't either thought it was too slow:confused: (young men), sexist (young women) or confusing (the middle aged). However my sample size is 1-3 people in each group so that means nothing. :p

Everything dies = solid truth.

Any expert's guess at what exactly drives the masses = guess.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Nope. You're entirely wrong.