STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

However once you take away the 3d prices of STiD and adjust trek 09 by inflation. STiD is far behind ST09. The reality is that STiD might not even have broken the 200 million dollar barrier in USA if not for 3D. ST09 didn't even need 3D.

I am not saying STiD was a flop, however it was not what paramount expected. paramount wanted STiD to surpass ST09 and it didn't. obviously there is a slight disappointment in that.

Worldwide there has been a huge improvement, however Trek still has a long way to go when it comes to been a box office juggernaut. I have no doubt that the fan service in STiD hurt trek.

its like the writers totally forgot about the new fans that resulted from the 2009 film. the writers only seems to care about old trekkies. The same old trekkies that have now called STiD inferior to WOK.:eek:

2. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

One thing to remember - STiD isn't done yet.

Another - It's gained huge numbers overseas vs. any other Trek film.

Next - It's the highest grossing Trek film. Ever.

And Again - ST ain't SW. Never going to be.

All that said - Sorry to disappoint some here, and I know they've all hoped and wished and dreamed and gnashed teeth and commiserated over it, but STiD is a win.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Fleet Admiral Admiral

But....but.....domestic box office....inflation adjustments.....Paramount....or something.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I also challenge the idea that Star Trek is more "artistic" than Star Wars. The content is always open for debate, and the prequels are, of course, always fair game. However, it's hard for one to argue that Star Wars (and probably ESB) isn't one of the most artistically influential films of all time without looking like a bumpkin.

5. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a big-time Star Trek fan. But The Empire Strikes Back is just a fucking awesome movie. :techman:

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In English, this reads as "I like Trek more."

7. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I loved loved loved Empire Sticks Back, however I kind of feel it is overrated a little bit. Especially with the whole I am your father thing.

That scene just proved that most male fans and even film critics never read a decent thriller or watched a good soap opera. if they did , it would not have come as a HUGE shock to them when Vader revealed himself to be Luke's dad.

Most series always have that kind of typical plot twist. I guess I am one of the few that wasn't shocked when Vader told Luke he was his daddy.

I was like....oh yeah..,cool but not surprised.

Perhaps, all my years of watching Mexican soap operas paid off.:lol:

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It's not the "twist" itself, but its conceit that makes it one of the great moments in film.

9. Roald

Roald Commander Red Shirt

Stopped reading there.

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Weird how there are no numbers for STID for W-Th...

11. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Its my opinion.:wtf:

Also I never said empire strikes back was overall an overrated film all I said was the that Vader's reveal of his true self was kind of overrated.

Geez....I honestly don't like it when people like myself get a lot slack just because we don't go with the majority's opinion of a film.

O and by the way, I think The Dark knight is overall an Overrated film as well.

sue me....:)

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

It's all opinion. Personally, I love TESB, but I know loads of people into their movies who remain completely unengaged with Star Wars and even find it boring. To suggest someone is in some way "stupid" for not instantly swallowing the hyperbole and worshipping TESB is of course the very height of conceitedness.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Well, yes - you did. Coming back later and saying "No, what I meant was ______" really doesn't change it.

The word you mean is "flak," and you're not getting any flak, personally. Your opinions—often so confused that it's difficult for people to make out what you're saying, causing you to "restate" your opinion by saying almost the opposite of what you wrote the first time—are what's being criticised. In other words, it's not you that's at issue, it's your credibility, based upon the statements you yourself make.

And, as if taking personally what wasn't intended as such weren't enough, you're now taunting in return. I really don't think you want to go there.

I think that instead you want to consider more carefully what you mean to say before posting the first time, making your points more clear and avoiding the need for later attempts at clarification.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  14. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I think it has to do with the holiday. IIRC, the same thing happened after Memorial day. I guess even the people that post the numbers need breaks, but they'll be up in due time.

Well, for what it's worth, I understand that when you say "kind of," that means "kind of" and not "completely." No real clarification was needed, but it's nice that you provided it. :)

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

So, you wouldn't hold out for a new hope, eh? :devil:;)

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not so much considering the prequel series. I think the SW franchise will have to have good word of mouth during production to overcome what Lucas did to the SW fanbase with the prequel series. (And yes, overall having Lucas no longer driving the franchise helps in this regard; still I think people may be wary of this new outing.)

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Worried Han Solo might end up in a fridge?

18. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait until Abrams takes care of the Indiana Jones saga.

19. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Why would you want to do that ?

Irrespective of the original SW's influence, I'll go ahead and say that Empire is probably the best sci-fi movie ever made.

Well I don't like them as much as the originals, of course, but they still made a ton of money, and to the people who didn't grow up with Star Wars they're not seen as negatively.

20. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

For me, films like 2001, Blade Runner, Forbidden Planet, Akira etc are all superior Sci-Fi. TESB is a liitle overrated and fawned over IMO, but is still a excellent movie nevertheless.