STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

On the Citadel or The TrekBBS Armada Starbase
    I went for my 8th and likely final time yesterday. It's disappearing all over in my neck of the woods. Would love to go the July 4th weekend, but who knows if it'll still be around.

2. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Eight times ? Wow. That's double the most I've ever seen a movie in theatres. :)

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

When are they going to officially announce the next film? Strange to not hear of a greenlight yet

4. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They have to have something to announce/greenlight first.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They are still counting the money they are making from STID.:rommie:

Okay seriously, they are probably waiting to see what JJ Abrams' next move will be and whether they will have to find a new director.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur Vice Admiral Admiral

Yea, that's what I figure, they don't want to get harangued with those questions, once they announce, so, they want to wait until they can at least answer how the next movie might be affected by JJ doing Star Wars. Probably they also want to see final numbers so they have an idea of budget on the next one before they start shortlisting people for positions.

7. LeadHead

I almost never go to the movie theaters. So when there's a movie that comes out that I want to see and really want to support, I can go more often. Also, I took advantage of matinees.

8. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've been 12 times but didn't go this weekend. Probably won't make to the holiday weekend (too many ballgames) but will wait until it hits the dollar theaters to see it some more times (much easier on the budget: $7.50-matinee vs $3 anytime/1.50 Tuesdays).

9. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I go in spurts when deciding to go see a movie. Plus I belong to the major theater chains "loyalty" clubs with all the perks

10. I am not Spock

I went four times to STID. Would have gone a fifth, but it's out of theatres here now.

Four times is a personal record for me. I don't usually go that many times. ST 09, I went twice. Skyfall three times, and Prometheus twice.

11. LeadHead

STID is a record for me, I probably wouldn't have gone as many times if my schedule didn't easily permit it and that I can easily go to one of the best IMAX theaters.

12. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They have to have something to announce/greenlight. Greenlighting involves the studio approving the finances of the film, etc. There's nothing to finance or approve yet. They haven't even developed a story yet.

That's like trying to announce the birth of your next baby when the first one was just born 5 minutes ago.

13. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    12 times ? That would've cost me 360 dollars (I pay for the wife as well) !!!

There are a grand total of zero movies I like that much. :)

14. I am not Spock

12 times. Wow.

I tend to choose one movie to support, and go a bunch of times. STID was four times, for me.

Last Christmas, it was Skyfall.

15. Kolinahr

Kolinahr Lieutenant Red Shirt

Same here, except I only went twice. I'm broke so there's not much I could do xD

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They greenlit STID before ST 2009 was out in theaters though.March 2009, if I remember right.
    And they had no story, nor did they know if Abrams would direct it at that point either.

17. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

If I am in charge of Paramount I would be pushing for the earliest possible release date, no point in hanging around waiting for JJ. Christmas 2015 should be the date. Hobbit is finished by then and the new Avatar sequels will not be ready either. Christmas 2015 is the best date for Trek.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The release date will be sometime in the 2016 summer blockbuster season, JJ or no JJ as director. I doubt it's going to move anywhere else.

19. Kolinahr

Kolinahr Lieutenant Red Shirt

Really? That seems highly illogical and very irresponsible. Reminds me of that old proverb 'counting chickens before they hatch'. Maybe that's why STiD suffered in the eyes of many fans? In any case, they should wait for at least the ideas to be brought forward before green-lighting anything.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a difference between script development, which is often started very early on for potential franchise sequels, and actually greenlighting a project to start production. If a film's box office isn't good enough they can always pull the plug on the sequel. Simply starting script development doesn't actually commit them to make a film.

Edited to add: the weekend actual went up a little to $2,100,458 for $220,561,325.