STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, people had been waiting a really long time for a Batman movie.

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

But, that might have lead to at least one Bollywood style song and dance number; and I don't know if the Star Trek audience in general could take that. ;)

Seriously though, I had no issue with Cumberbatch as Khan - as you could surmise he was of British Indian descent (and lets be honest, Montalban WAS NOT even attempting an Indian subtext or accent when he originally played the role in 1967 and 1982.)

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I already wrote that I could accept that "X-Men" got the foot in the door for the modern era of comic book movies.

Again though, not so much for "Blade." It made $70 million domestically, was R-rated, and I don't think a lot of moviegoers were aware that it was even a comic book movie.

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

We'll take it! :)

5. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Having finally seen the movie, I have to say that while Cumberbatch was okay, he didn't make a mark on me, and he didn't really seem like Khan at all. Just a villain they decided to name Khan. And he didn't seem all that threatening, really. They waited too long before they made him all eeeevil instead of ambiguous sorta-convenient ally, so by the time he was full evil, the stakes weren't so high IMO. It was a dramatic misfire, and the ending just sort of....happens.

Overall however I really enjoyed the film. Do I still think they should've cast an Indian actor? After seeing it, YES. Time after time during it I said to myself, "Arjun Rampal or Sunil Shetty would've KILLED in this role." It was a missed opportunity. But the problems regarding Khan in this movie are mostly script-related.

Back on topic, would the movie have more appeal in India if Khan was played by an actor that traditionally chews scenery as the big-bad? Maybe. But the international take of Into Darkness is pretty darn healthy.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Literally! :techman:

7. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Granted.

Does... does that mean we agree, then ?

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Hey now, none of that agreeing stuff, this is the interwebs, afterall. ;)

9. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Quite possible, M'Sharak. Lets hope not. Back in 2009, even if latin america had weak numbers, it was the third largest market for this movie, after Mexico and Brazil.

:borg:

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Thursday number: $397,016 for $218,460,867 so far. It should make about $1.8-2 million this weekend.

11. Borgminister

Slowly exiting stage left... One theater in our area showing it this weekend and Monday--that 10 a.m. matinee has my name written all over it for a 5th viewing.

Be interesting to see how far the theater count dips for the July 4th weekend...

12. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Cumberbatch has a big following in China, and in Japan (for a Western actor) - without him the take in China would probably have been a fair bit less. Maybe casting known Indian star would have made up for it, maybe not.

13. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Estimates have STID taking in $2.25 million this weekend. Sitting at over $220 million domestically.

Yancy

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Weekend estimate: $2,040,000 for $220,501,000 so far.

15. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

Just popping in to say that I saw Into Darkness for the 4th time last week, this time in the United States with Yeoman Randi!:)

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

you're doing your part.:techman:

nice to see it cross 220 million.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Now that's dedication and support, coming all the way to the US just to support the Domestic Box Office :bolian::bolian:

18. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently at about 438.1 million world wide. With still 5 countries overseas to hit, and those did 11.3 million for trek 2009, and considering only 3 countries to date of over 50 plus have not reached the level of trek 2009, its probably quite safe to say that overseas still has between 11.3 to 20 million to add.

Us sales should at worst gain another 5 million at best 15. I lean about 10 million (primarily thanks to a small boost from the fourth of JUly weekend.

460 to 470 million is looking very solid for final take for the film.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I thought the international number would jump a little more this week. I guess it's losing a lot of international screens because of all the new films entering the marketplace. It's going to take a little longer for the international gross to exceed the domestic one.

The worldwide grosses for the big summer films so far:

Iron Man 3 - $1.21 billion
    Fast & Furious 6 - $682 million
    Man of Steel - $520.4 million
    Star Trek Into Darkness - $438.1 million
    The Hangover Part III - $337.9 million
    The Great Gatsby - $321 million
    Monsters University - $300.3 million
    World War Z - $259 million
    Epic - $233.4 million
    After Earth - $188.8 million
    Now You See Me - $153.4 million

20. Borgminister

Hope they will keep the theater count about the same so Trek can eke out whatever more it can for the July 4th extended weekend...