STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Last week it made $5.5 million domestic and $12 million international. International should take the lead by the end of this week.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well it has better legs than some more recent movies like Epic, Gatsby and After Earth. I'm surprised Now You See Me is still that strong, however.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

STID was sold to FX channel...ST09 made $30 million from it's sale, anyone want to bet STID made more?? Tack that on to the $430 million it's made already ($470-480 million)

RAMA

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Oh, I'm sure they've also made money on Product endorsements, that haven't been backed out of the Budget number being used. And, although there aren't a lot of toys, I'm sure what licensing they have allowed has also brought them in dollars that aren't reflected in what the movie is making.

5. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Pfft... are you trying to convince us that Trek isn't dead and that they're actually going to make another one ? ;)

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The amount FX pays for the TV rights is based on a percentage of domestic box office, so STID will make a little less than Star Trek, but it'll still be a good amount. The license fee FX pays is 10-12% of the ultimate domestic gross.

Edit to add: the weekend actual is $3,166,709 for $216,777,625 so far.

7. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

OK, what does someone here think of this article, says maybe Into Darkness isn't "enough of a hit" for Paramount (btw I loved STID, so do hope for another nuTrek movie, but fyi for reference in case anyone's interested): http://io9.com/whats-the-future-of-star-trek-after-into-darkness-510291083

PS BTW it's been pointed out to me that this article is from 5/29, but since we do know now that STID will not reach the domestic BO that ST2009 did (and supposedly "studios still care about domestic gross a lot"), perhaps the points brought up are still relevant, or at least something to consider.

8. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't think they are going to change course after gaining so much in international markets where Trek has traditionally been weak.

Could they? Sure. But it doesn't make sense not to do a third film especially when pre-orders for the Blu-ray are through the roof.

I really think the film's struggles simply come down to timing.

9. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That author has it in for nuTrek, I wouldn't listen to her.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That article makes a lot of noise over nothing. The film will end up among the top ten domestic grossing films of the year and will have the highest international gross of a Star Trek film ever. In terms of overall box office, a Star Trek movie has never done better. A Bad Robot produced sequel is inevitable.

The same author also reviewed the movie with the headline "Star Trek Into Dumbness." In light of that, her latest article appears to be less analysis than wish fulfillment.

11. Galekarens

Ok, guys, thanks, but I just wondered if the author had some "professional" knowledge of how movies are considered "hits" or not, for example she wrote an article in 2011 called "How much money does a movie need to make to be profitable": http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable. I do hope Paramount will want to make another Trek movie, especially for 2016.

12. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if a film has to make double its budget to be successful, STID is already past that threshold (190*2=380 million, it's well over $400 million worldwide). Everything is pretty much gravy now.

13. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The original article is just the author whining basically. STID is a hit, though not quite as big a hit as Paramount was hoping for. The budget for the next one will probably be a bit less, and they will market the film differently. However, there will definitely be a third Bad Robot Trek film.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

That article lays things out pretty well. STID will end up grossing about 2.5X its budget, which makes it a hit. Domestic box office is lower than the studio anticipated, but will still end up at a decent level and the worldwide box office represents a good return.

15. Galekarens

Well yeh, that's what I had heard, but even from the posts here I wonder if it's more complicated than that. It would seem that there should be another nuTrek movie, but until Paramount announces there will be one (and it's made), it's maybe not a given. PS sorry by the time I posted this, 2 more posts, well anyway, my original posting was fyi, so thanks for the feedback!

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Small upwards rise in the actual, but what's good is that it made about $1 million or more 2 of the 3 days.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

There can be all sorts of complicating factors - deals with equity partners, revenue from merchandising, etc - but as a broad rule of thumb if a sequelizable franchise movie grosses 2.5X its production budget then a sequel is a no-brainer.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nope, that's already a given, I just didnt expect FX to get the rights so soon.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

FX has been snapping up the TV rights very quickly to almost every big movie.

20. Galekarens

Yes, and from all I've read here and other places, STID still has a little ways to go to reach 2.5X (maybe $462 Mil?), which it seems it will (especially after playing in Japan), so we still have to see how it finally shakes out. Well anyway, I just wanted more info so when on other internet sites, STID's grosses are criticized, I will have the right ammunition!