STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of the huge openings are sequels. $113 million for the 3-day opening is excellent for a non-sequel/reboot. I think its legs will be fine.

2. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

But the reality is whether this is a reboot or not, it's another Superman movie, so it more or less is a sequel, and based on the 3-day and the appearance that it is frontloaded, that's not a terribly comforting sign.

Hell, there were box office experts who "predicted" early that MOS might have the biggest opening of all time, and there were other "experts" who predicted MOS would easily be the biggest movie of the summer... that's clearly not the case.

Yancy

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Reboots swim against stronger currents, even when it's a very well known character. And the opening weekend isn't particularly frontloaded by the standards of the superhero genre.

Which experts are you referring to? Most of the big prediction sites had predictions ranging from $84 million on the low side to $139 million on the high side. BoxOffice.com predicted $115 million and were pretty much on the money, excluding the Thursday night 7.00pm numbers.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well if you are going by the double production figure STID is said to have cost US$190m so double would be US$380m.

ST(2009) was reported to cost approx US$150m so that would be US$300m. Final return for ST (2009) was US$385m. So around an US$85m profit. So STID it might return a smaller profit, but it should still return a profit from box office alone.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its looking like STID will be at least $410 million after the official word on Monday.

6. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesome!

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

From The Hollywood Reporter:

8. Trajet

Trajet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A worldwide box office figure of around $450m looks set to be fairly achievable now.

9. JamesRye

JamesRye Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Are there any other big foreign markets that Star Trek has not opened in yet?

I think the box office should end up between $450 and $500 million. Having seen Man of Steel the other night, I'm so glad that JJ Abrams is in charge of Star Trek.

I thought that man of steel was really badly directed and written - the shaky cam was jarring and the musical score was terrible. I think that the box office that MOS is getting is purely down to an expensive advertising campaign and the fact that it's Superman.

I've written a review here:
    http://ryesofthegeek.wordpress.com/

Trek looks to be a solid and reliable performer for Paramount. I am pleased that ST:ID will be the most successful Trek film of all time. Does anyone know how many movies the cast are locked in for?

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It'll be released in Japan in August. That's the only big market where it hasn't opened yet.

Three I believe.

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Anyone know why Japan has to wait so long? Did ST09 take that long?

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably to give them more time to watch Pacific Rim.:shrug:

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Star Trek was released in late May in Japan. I don't know why the wait is so much longer this time.

Pacific Rim is being released in August in Japan, too. It'll be released there two weeks before STiD.

15. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

On the Citadel or The TrekBBS Armada Starbase
    Maybe around that time it will return to IMAX back in the USA and they're gonna have another premiere in Japan to have some media talking about it?

Probably a bad guess.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I swear in a interview this year Pine joked about making a mistake in signing on for 2 more films after STID? I would hope we get a 2016 and 2019 movie, 10 years then since the relaunch before any possible TNG movies.

17. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Full house here for a 1:45 pm showing - pretty lively crowd (laughing in the right places) w/applause at the end. Going to the movies obviously was a Father's Day activity. One family commented going outside: Dad saying that it was second after the Dark Knight Rises but Mom like STiD better, then gave him a hug thanking him for a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. Awww...:adore:

18. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

That settles it. I'm going for a fifth time, probably this week. It's nearly out of theatres (here in Australia). I might catch it in an afternoon session.

19. Franklin

Franklin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. Abrams et al were the perfect choice. People can say what they want, but I believe they kept the essence of TOS intact. Nolan and Snyder for "Man of Steel"? Not so much. In my opinion, they turned Superman into Batman. Or it's as if someone had The Beatles do an album in the Rolling Stones style rock. (A friend always said Superman and Batman were the Beatles and Rolling Stones of comics.)

The campaigns mean a lot because the first weekends's take means so much, now. Get a lot early. To that end, MOS has just apparently set a June opening weekend record ($120 to $130 million). But everything considered now that it's out there, warts and all, it will be interesting to see what legs it has.

Meanwhile, STID just keeps chugging along.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Man of Steel is scheduled for release in Japan in late August. Maybe August is one of the stronger months there and studios think it's worth the delay.

Worldwide grosses for the big summer releases so far:

Iron Man 3 - $1.203 billion
    Fast & Furious 6 - $636.9 million
    Star Trek Into Darkness - $412.2 million
    The Hangover Part III - $309.8 million
    The Great Gatsby - $300.2 million
    Epic - $212.7 million
    Man of Steel - 196.7 million
    Now You See Me - $107.7 million
    After Earth - $102.8 million