STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. johnjm22

johnjm22 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There will be a third nuTrek film, but with the movie under performing Paramount's expectations, and the studio higher ups being irked by the Star Wars thing, there's still hope JJ won't be doing the next movie.

Really though, Abram's isn't as big of a problem as Orci. That's the guy that we really need to get away from Trek.

2. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why? So we can go back to the good old days of no one wanting to pay to see "Nemesis" or even watch Enterprise for free.

Sorry, Star Trek Into Darkness is the most fun I've had watching Trek since The Undiscovered Country was released in 1991. I will gladly welcome back Abrams, Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"We need...?"

No. You want.

Abrams will produce and oversee the next Star Trek movie.

Orci is not going anywhere.

Period, full stop.

4. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes there will. Glad that is settled.

With the scale of the disappointment likely far less grand than some might wish, thankfully.

Do we have any evidence of this "being irked" or might this constitute further wishful thinking?

A rather tiny shred of hope, though, and held onto by a pretty small group of people, in light of the exceedingly strong evidence* that many, many more people have an opposite (and rather more likely) "hope" in this matter.

*evidence being the excellent critical review ratings in the high 80s at Rotten Tomato, along with the very, very positive word of mouth from people who've seen the movie. Lest anyone think I was making it up.

"We" don't "need" anything of the kind. "You" might. But you are hardly in a position to invoke the "royal We" in terms of accurately representing the "needs of the many". ;)

5. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

And some people speak Latin, but it's still a dead language. :)

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

7. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

Actual CinemaScope is perhaps "mostly dead" but the use 'scope as shorthand for anamorphic prints and/or aspect ratios of 2.35-2.40:1 is so ubiquitous that to "correct" someone on that comes off somewhat pedantic (not to say I don't share the impulse to make such corrections--I was quite prone to doing so in my youth, but now I mainly leave that impulse for my classes).

8. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Man Of Steel is here. Last call for STID relevance to American audiences.

[​IMG]

Aww cmon JJ don't look like that. Follow Karl's lead and enjoy the success you had.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Translation: "It didn't make us the half a billion we wanted, and that money had already been spent."

10. Admiral Buzzkill

No.

11. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen it four times and may go for a fifth here in the next week or two.

12. Franklin

Franklin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's said Warner is expecting a $90 million weekend for "Man of Steel", which is probably a lowball estimate. The Box Office Mojo estimate is about $140 million.

Right now, MOS is at 58% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's not good. It probably won't affect the opening weekend, but will it affect word of mouth and the "walk up" crowd? I'd think it would. Reviews may not mean much individually, but so many of the reviews (even a few of the good reviews) say basically the same thing: the movie is just too somber and joyless, without the wit or charm you'd expect from a Superman movie. No fun. Batman is supposed to brood and be dark, not Superman.

13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Commodore Commodore

Just saw Man of Steel...

The best I can say is it's very..., REAL...

I guess I'm too old, I like the more "Comic Book" versions better.
    (and I was very disappointed that they don't show the Daily Planet Icon on top of the building at any point in the movie):eek:

The previous Superman was much more entertaining, despite what ever flaws folks found in it.

STID was a bit too dark for my tastes also, I guess.

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I really thought MoS was poor, Superman Returns was superior as a film. I do like Kevin Smith's "Superman arthouse" description of it :D

Interestingly, while it is going to open at around 85m-90m, they have these mammoth corporate deals and sold 12m worth of tickets to Walmart so it'll open larger on the face of it.

15. Franklin

Franklin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see that, at least for Trek. Then again, the ending is on a very high note.

I've thought TOS and Superman were a lot alike as entertainment. They're both at their best when they don't take themselves too seriously. They're also eternally optimistic and never dour. You can picture Superman or Kirk breaking the fourth wall during an adventure and asking, "Are you having as much fun as I am?" or "Don't worry, you know everything will turn out OK." Iron Man had that feel, too. For this genre, where there has to be a lot of suspension of disbelief, I've always liked the lighter touch.

I mean really, which one of the following would be the least fun at a party?
    -- Iron Man
    -- Jim Kirk
    -- Superman
    -- Batman (unless it's Adam West doing the Batusi, then all bets are off).

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, Abrams is like "I'm concerned.", and Urban is like "Fuck it!"

17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Commodore Commodore

One of the things that disturbed me the most about MoS was the ending of the final battle...

Without giving anything away, I felt that the impetus of Superman's feelings, wasn't at all obvious to me, until that final moment when it was all of a sudden, just there.

It felt very..., jarring and like it came out of left field somewhere.

I'm sure I probably just missed something in the dialogue during the movie, but I'm not even interested in going back to find it.

This may be the first summer block-buster I probably WON'T Buy, when it hits Blu-ray.
    :thumbdown:

I guess, when it comes down to it...,
    I enjoyed STID just a little bit more.

And that's kinda sad for both movies.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It really gets worse the more I think about it and further away I get, it's just lucky it had a strong end as far as an action set piece goes.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

MOS doesn't seem to be having WOM problems.

AFIAK. LOL

20. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    No MoS spoilers, plase.

Since when do we listen to critics ? :D