STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

No.

2. khan2

khan2 Ensign Newbie

:techman: :techman: :techman: :techman:

"Yes!" - Data, Star Trek: Generations

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, ain't happenin' on this planet.

Why should I care whether JJTrek brings more fans to oldTrek? Star Trek is neither a religion nor an insurance pool.

4. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

"No." - the overwhelmingly vast majority of those who watched the Abrams Trek films (as witnessed by word of mouth polls and critical response to each one)

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Blashpemer...Turn in your Nerd Card and report for obligatory burning at your nearest Chapel of The Roddenberry :devil:

6. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    But the good news is - you may now have a shot at loosing your virginity.:bolian::rommie:;)

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Tuesday number: $1,378,385 for $202,578,928 to date. Star Trek made $1,322,790 on its comparable day.

8. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Those $1,378,385 are showing that the movie has legs

:)

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

We're all familiar with "The Tale of Boy Therin and Star Trek: The Motion Picture," thank you. In this forum alone, you must have told it more than a hundred times; I don't doubt that some here are now able to repeat it from memory and I hope that they're not also haunted by it when they sleep. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to give that story a rest for a bit?

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:techman::techman:

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

12. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Cool, if I recall that site doesn't include blu rays either and DVDs are pretty cheap now, even new ones.

13. Franklin

Franklin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I probably am being optimistic (which is against my nature) thinking MOS won't have legs and that will benefit STID. Still MOS is down to 65 percent fresh at Rotten Tomatoes (60+ reviews) and there are few effusively kind reivews among the positive ones. Ann Hornaday of "The Washington Post" (who loved STID) absolutely panned the movie on radio, today.

Actually, I was really hoping it would be better. I've always liked Superman more than any other comic book hero, and was rooting for a treatment of his character that would finally rise to the quality of the best treatments of the Marvel characters and Batman. As it is, I think I could miss MOS and not feel I missed out on anything special. So, I guess I'm going on a gut feeling that I'm not alone in that opinion.

Interesting note: In his "Chicago Tribune" review, Michael Phillips said there are $170 million worth of product tie-ins in MOS. He also said the crowd he watched the movie with exited the theater quiet and a little shell-shocked.

14. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well, I'm seeing it this week-end. I have high hopes for it, and I hope DC/WB won't dissapoint me.

15. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I liked the film Watchmen, but I think the tone in that film is wrong for a Superman film. And I think that tone has been brought into MOS, which will weigh the film down. And, I think the people involved may have missed the point of Superman. I am reading that his persona as Clark Kent is largely missing from the film.

On the persona of Clark Kent, I remember a quote from Kill Bill, Volume 2. Bill, the head of an international assassin guild, observed that,

16. johnjm22

johnjm22 Commander Red Shirt

If you adjust for inflation, then ST2009's dollar figure is $1,400,394.

STID is going to bring in less box office revenue domestically than ST2009. Also, it's doing worse amongst the younger demographic (which studios covet).

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/star-trek-darkness-needs-younger-box-office-fast-194907698.html

17. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

How many times can one say, "Get of my lawn!" :scream: ? :wtf::eek:

:rofl::guffaw:

18. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

And its far, far stronger in international markets which was one thing that was very important to Paramount.

19. CrazyHorse89

CrazyHorse89 Lieutenant Red Shirt

20. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

UK?!

What have they ever contributed to music?