STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

One thing that I liked about these new movies is the people and kids who may discover the original TV shows, TNG etc

2. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I think you're overly optimistic. MOS will, in my view, kill all the May movies. Trek will last for a while, but it's nearing its last days above 1 million. My opinion, of course.

3. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Baseballs going to die out in a few decades anyway. After Buck Bokai wins the Series.

4. mos6507

mos6507 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And then realize how bad JJ Trek is in comparison.

5. BillJ

BillJ Admiral Admiral

It kills you that Abrams Trek is successful, doesn't it? :lol:

6. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Or not.

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

While this isn't a factor now, back then using Super 35 required you to go an extra generation optically, which made the picture grainier and more contrasty. If you plan it right it can look okay -- Cameron knew how to make it work, as you say.

But in the case of TUC's 70mm release on some screens, you're basically getting a third generation print, and a blowup ... which is why on some screens there was nothing but grain in the Kirk/McCoy bunkbed scene (for me it was like watching the movie at a drive-in with all the car headlights turned on.)

I don't see much of a problem with TUC on homevid, but I will grant that shooting anamorphic -- which is how the earlier films were lensed -- gets something unique in the image that shooting with spherical lenses does not deliver.

8. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

Umm, no. While you might wish this to happen, and it is certainly fine that you have this opinion of "JJ Trek" (as is your right), it is highly, highly unlikely that such a scenario would occur. If I were you, I wouldn't bet the college fund or the mortgage on it. ;)

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Admiral Admiral

Yep. In 2042.

10. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

11. RAMA

RAMA Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought it looked flat and washed out. Super 35 is kind of bargain basement film in a way(or used to be) it's a money saver, and it has to be blown up to be shown on widescreen. On TV its less of a problem but I just think the depth of field is off compared to cinemascope.

RAMA

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Do you mean there's too much depth-of-field? Because the main point of S35 is to be able to use spherical lenses instead of anamorphic. You don't need as much light to get an exposure, and if you're shooting close to wide open, your image is still acceptable, whereas anamorphic wide open just breaks down.

13. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Are movie cameras damaged when people shake them vigorously? The reason I ask this is because I saw a lot of this in the featurettes for the first film.

14. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

But Cinemascope's been dead as a format since...what...1967?

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I remember seeing examples in behind-the-scenes footage of cameras being shaken, but I can't recall anything which would have led me to think that the cameras suffered any damage as a result.

16. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

According to Wikipedia,

In 2012, a Brazilian film director used Cinemascope for his film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinemascope

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

As a then "newbie fan", people told me this about ST:TMP all through 1980 and 1981. I eventually caught up with all the TOS and TAS I had missed since the 60s. Never changed my opinion of TMP one iota. Still love TMP!

18. Dart

Dart Commodore Commodore

That's fantastic. I'm sick of young Clark Kent on a farm over and over.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Farms are boring. Enough already.

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I doubt you'd be saying that had the sequel to Superman Returns been made. The rough summary about it was released a few years ago. Superman would've fought Brainiac. This after Brainiac fixed all the world's problems and had the world turn on Superman for never doing so. The big finale would be Brainiac transferring his mind in to Superman's super son and Superman being forced to kill his own child to save the planet.

ENOUGH WITH THE CHRIST ALLEGORIES IN SUPERMAN ALREADY. Superman Returns had enough of them.