STID: The ‘Other' Starship / [Spoiler]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by calamity_si, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always wanted to know how they work. But I guess I never will...

*sigh*

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The romulan disguise ship from ENTERPRISE looked like something cobbled together from parts of the Narada after in collapsed into its final black Hole.

I'm thinking that pieces of it may have been strewn all across the timeline in addition to slaver tech--allowing for JJ's universe to stem from ENTERPRISE. The temporal cold war may have something to do with that.

Without, Archer becomes a Daedalus captain.

Seeing JJ likes to throw the fans a bone, I'll say the weapon is an anti-proton cannon--absolutely pure. (spock primes contribution)

What is really odd is this.

Cutting-edge100(?) was calling for someone to make a Sovereign, but with a more circular hull and for the deflector secondary hull fairing to not run up so far underneath the saucer.

Guess what, it looks like JJ himself has given her the very ship she was asking for.

And now that you see it--it is a pretty great design.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Hey, Geordi seemed to rediscover the lost ancient art of rebooting a buggered-up computer in "Contagion", so you never know!

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

6. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blegh...that thing looks like something I made out of Legos when I was 8. Not thrilled about that name, either...it's a bit on the nose.

7. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I made this lightened version of the image to see all the details of the ship.

[​IMG]

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Wow, thanks. That's much better. I didn't even notice the cut-outs in the saucer in the darker pic.

That is quite a beast of a ship. They need to have Kirk say "You are one ugly mudderfucker," Predator style. ;)

I guess those two long pod-like thingies on the sides of the neck are the giant "guns" that we see flipping outward and then focusing on the Enterprise in the third trailer.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, it certainly looks monsterous. "USS Star Empire" sounds a lot cooler than "USS Vengeance" though.

10. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if "USS Vengeance" is just a name tossed out to keep the real name hidden.

12. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I see starfleet have been busy and that starship has balls !!! I'm wondering if its how it deploys the genesis device ???

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Literally.

14. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

That is one ugly ship. Bleh.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Definitely something that looks like it would be more at home in the Star Wars universe.

What purpose could a giant hole in the saucer possibly serve? :wtf:

16. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Somehow reminds me more of a Transformer than a predator.

18. TOSTNGDS9VOYENT

TOSTNGDS9VOYENT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They seem to be jumping ahead of themselves here. The Vengeance looks more like a 24th century ship. More like a Dreadnought Sovereign class variant.

Meanwhile, they seem to have given up on the TOS era design style. Enterprise, even though its been restyled, still holds the TOS feel with the external Deflector dish, the rotating Bussard Collectors, etc etc. The rest of the fleet is still of the Kelvin era design.

Now JJ has Starfleet fielding huge ships with much later styling design. What does this mean for a third movie? They redesign the fleet to look like Vengeance variants? And so what do you get in the alternate 24th century, Enterprise J designs?

19. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've said it over and over - the changes in the timeline WENT BOTH WAYS. Future *and* past. (Instead of a "Y" shaped branching, imagine an "X" shaped one.)

It has to go both ways, if you just stop and think about it - otherwise nuKirk and co. could travel back in time to any number of events, and hook up with the Prime Kirk and co. or the Prime Picard and company, and then travel back with them into a future that isn't their's!

Star Trek's future has always interacted with, and influenced, it's past - via time travel - so we even have a *mechanism* for how the changes in the timeline could propagate both ways: change Trek's future, change it's past too!

Hence, the Alternate timeline has a different tech level.

(It's even possible that imho, "before" Picard and co. went back to Bozeman Montana in the 2060's, that, like someone else said here, Archer was a Daedalus captain, in one version of events. (The effects of time travel in Trek have never been consistant - though the Star Trek Department of Temporal Investigations books try to address how the different types of time travel changes can exist in one...er...reality...ish..whatever...(multi-reality? over-reality?)

20. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

It looks like ass.