STID: The ‘Other' Starship / [Spoiler]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by calamity_si, Apr 16, 2013.

1. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

This article http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/15/mtv...gives-best-glimpse-yet-of-the-other-starship/ got me very exited about the prospect of a nice new shiny Starship in the upcoming movie. I wasn't much of a fan of the new Enterprise redesign, so I'm hoping this one will be a bit more impressive. She's already been described as;

"Dreadnaught Class. Two times the size – three times the speed – advanced weaponry – minimal crew…built solely for combat..."

Sounds awesome! Based on the screengrabs and trailer, I've quickly sketched the following doodle of the ship:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30567287@N07/8654263025/

[​IMG]

I'd like to make this thread about the ship in general, so please post any descriptions, pictures, doodles etc.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

From the front, your sketch looks pretty much like a Sovereign-class (Enterprise-E).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  3. calamity_si

I know. I think this new ship has an uncharacteristically cool recessed navigational deflector. If you freeze the movie on the Trekmovie link I provided just as she flattens the 'Alcatraz' house, you'll see a very quick flash of it. It seems to be built into the neck, just above two angled 'nubbins' on the underside. Possibly weapons pods... Have a look and post your own doodle!

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe it is a AbramsTrek TOS version of a Sovereign. John Eaves is still on the design staff IIRC.

5. calamity_si

I've just asked him about it on his 'Eavesdropping' website....doubt he'd be able to tell us much without getting his site shut down like poor ol' Drexy....

6. calamity_si

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My theory is that Ambassador Spock has given Starfleet a major technological boost - hence this ship's vague resemblance to the Enterprise-E, and most of all - why Starfleet's "newest flagship" is so overpowered just one year after her launch.

I just wish it had a third nacelle! The old novel Dreadnought! by Diane Carey is one of my all-time favourites.
    [​IMG]
    This is the USS Star Empire MKC-2331. I loved this design far more than the version in the old Star Fleet Technical Manual.

I wouldn't be suprised if they called this ship USS Star Empire after the ship in the novel. It is a very cool name.

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eh... the name isn't very Federation. It sounds more like something the Terran Empire would use or part of a political faction's name. That said, I can see some similarities between that ship and this Dreadnought, mostly in the shape of the engineering hull.

9. calamity_si

Agreed about the third nacelle...that would've REALLY made it a Dreadnought... Still, I can't quite get how a ship that seems to be so advanced and built for battle ends up crashing into San Fransisco. Deanna Troi at the helm again perhaps?

10. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My friends: the great experiment. The Excelsior. Ready for trial runs.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^prefix codes, perhaps?

Well, for what it's worth, here's the complete class listing from FJS' 1975 Star Fleet Technical Manual *deep breath*:

Affiliation
    Alliance
    Association
    Compactat
    Concordat
    Confederation
    Consortium
    Corporation
    Directorate
    Dominion (:eek:)
    Entente
    Federation (the ship the class is named for)
    Konkordium
    Organization
    Star Empire
    Star League
    Star System
    Star Union
    Trusteeship
    Unificatum

Not exactly a spellbinding bunch of names. Star Empire sounds incredibly badass to me, and if they use one I'd like it to be that. It's not particularly "Federation-y" but fitting as a villain's ubership, and as a tool of a post-Vulcan Federation that is slipping... (wait for it)... Into Darkness! *thunderclap!*

BTW, where is the discription of this ship from? I take it one of the spoilerific previews?

Commodore_Sarvour likes this.
  12. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Then again maybe it is called Dreadnought.

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The USS Bend Over, I'll Show You

Commodore_Sarvour likes this.
  14. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was a major plot point of the novel. The dreadnought class had been developed by a militaristic faction of Star Fleet.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see why they would need Spock Prime's help to build it I mean it doesn't have to have better tech to out match the Enterprise it just needs bigger version of everything the Enterprise has added to the fact that its built for combat not exploration so more of it is devoted to having big f@#king guns.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Starfleet had some uber warships in reserve to deal with major threats I mean its is kind of a sensible thing to do given how many times their ships get curb stomped by giant space things of death.

Especially after Nero took out a fleet of their ships while most of Starfleet was busy elsewhere and imploded a major member planet and almost did the same thing to earth and the rest of the federation.

16. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

Calamity_si,
    I saw your sketch on trekweb before I came here. Clicked on it and thought it looked a lot like the ship in the trailer today. Good sketch.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Had been wondering that myself. Seems to have come from one of the clips screened at CinemaCon.

Also:

calamity_si? Put a hint or a warning in the subject line of info to revealed within, but save the actual spoily details for inside the thread, please. By putting "Dreadnought" right there in the title, you're taking the choice away from those who might have wished to wait and be surprised by it during the movie.

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Looked to me like there was a triangular gap in that saucer. Reminds me of those donut Saucers. Very Eaves.

19. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too bad it's doesn't have a third nacelle - it would have been a nice homage to the Franz Josepth "Star Fleet Technical Manual" Dreadnought...

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral