Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 24, 2013.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I don't think there's much more of this show I can take. Almost everyone is an idiot and everything that happens is ridiculously cliché. Dean Norris continues to be the only saving grace of the show but I'm not sure if that's enough to keep me watching. A pity because the show has a promising premise, but they keep squandering it with dumb bullshit.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I agree. About the only cliche characters missing are the wise, old grandmother and the precocious subteen.

The only interesting character is the dome.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You're only allowed so many teen stereotypes in a show and this one is already packed pretty full of teen stereotypes between primary characters and secondary ones.

I agree though, we do need a wise old grandmother or someone like that. Where are our characters going to get their worldly wisdom?!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  4. Miss Chicken

There doesn't seem to be any little children in Chester's Mill. Maybe the parents were so disappointed with the quality of the product when the now-teens were born that they stopped breeding altogether?

5. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't the restaurant owner filling the wise grandmother role?

6. Miss Chicken

^^^ She younger than me!!!

7. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Apologies. I was referring more to the character, not the actress. In the book, I took her to be more in the wise grandmother vein and her appearances so far on the show seems to be leading in that same direction -- level-headed, no shortage of common sense, sympathetic.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Back on Sabrina, I spent more time looking at Caroline than Beth, but she appears a lot more healthier now that there's a little meat on her.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Salem the cat was the coolest part of that show.:)

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Julia all the way for me.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Big surprise. ;)

I keep thinking about the shape of the dome and wondering if it's actually a sphere. And if it's not, how deep does it go? Could it be a cylinder with a rounded top? I dunno.

Anyhoo, I'm surprised that they killed Jeff Fahey's character. Given the casting, I figured that he'd come back somehow.

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The people in this town seem to not really care very much about finding out about the dome, and are spending all their time having annoying soap opera shit. The only one bothering to map it is the kid. The first thing I'd want to do is locate the center point and find out what's there - if it's a force field, I'd expect the generator to be in the center.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The show is suffering from two fatal flaws: The soap opera bullshit that plagued Jericho's great premise and the lack of curiosity and communication that LOST suffered from (but not paralyzed by because of the cast, characters and mysteries). That and lack of interesting characters played by good actors. They had one and killed him off in the first episode!

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The timeline has only been like a day and a half so far, they haven't all adjusted to their circumstances yet and clinging to their soap opera and normalcy is a common thing when unbelievable stuff happens.

It hasn't sunk in yet for a lot of them.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the problem is much more with the cheesy execution than the characters or storylines themselves. A premise like this really deserves an edgier and more adult take, but the tone here is just a little too cutesy and sentimental and family friendly, along the lines of a Terra Nova, Revolution or Surface.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

You aren't going to get a super edgy take on something from a major network like CBS, ABC or NBC.

And it's a limited premise anyways, this kind of show works as a 1 season mini-series not a continuing show.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I think there are a lot of valid complaints to make about the format, but too family friendly and in the vein of Terra Nova? C'mon. Rapey McRaperson has his ex-girlfriend chained up in a literal dungeon, dismembered animal and people parts get shown on a regular basis, and murder seems to be the town's chief industry at the moment (with another one hinted at in the pilot). And if they follow the book, things are only going to get much, much worse.

This was originally going to be made by Showtime, so obviously it would have been much more hardcore there than on the AARP... err, I mean CBS network, but it's still not what I would call family friendly by a country mile.

18. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now you know how I felt when Smallville used an actor my age to play Pa Kent!

19. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Don't forget about the meth lab being run by Big Jim.

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I deliberately kept things vague and didn't mention anything specific for the benefit of the people watching the show who haven't read the book, dude.

You might want to edit that. It's strongly hinted at in the pilot, and some people have guessed correctly already, but just in case.