Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey just because it gets tough to stomach this tripe doesn't mean I'm a quitter. I'll at least finish out the season or die trying :lol:

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I did give up, and streamed an episode of Luther instead.

3. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Damn right. I have already worked up time in my schedule to develop an appropriate rant at the end of this damn thing.

4. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man I need a beer after reading about the latest developments! :rofl: How do the writers and producers think this shit is watchable?:eek:

5. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

At the rate Big Jim is killing people, I expect Chester's Mill to be depopulated by the end of season 2.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

My DVR didn't record it, show was delayed due to I'm guessing... football? I dunno. Anyway, I'm at the point debating whether or not I'm motivated by this show enough to go to the OnDemand section of my cable to find it vs. when I could just play it off my recordings list. Yeah, that's where I'm now at with this show. If I have to press more than a couple of buttons to watch it I don't care.

7. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe in season 2 Bryan Cranston can join the cast as Big Jim's brother in law, who is investigating all the drug manufacturing in Chester's Mill.

8. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Linda is the stupidest friggin' person in the entire universe. "I don't know what it is, but I'm going to impound it?" It's not a fuckin' car! I was hoping she got killed when it threw her against the wall.

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most unwelcome Hipster Mom cameo. That's it for the season right? Zzzzzzzz

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

And... what the heck happened? After all that, that's what they give us as a finale? Really? That's really weak. I don't even really know what happened, just know that stuff happened, and it's not exactly making me want to watch a second season if there is one. Talk about unrewarding and unsatisfying. This show doesn't deserve a second season.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Nope, stopped after episode 2.

12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if they had shot everything as a single season show and then the order for the 2nd season came in, and they had to re-edit the original ending into a cliff hanger. But yeah, very unsatisfying.

13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This show became such a chore to watch around episode four. Like others have said, this is one of those shows that are so horrible that you HAVE to watch. Clearly shows that Steven Spielberg and Stephen King have no business producing anything for television. I've finally given up and refuse to watch season two (unless they finally give us some explanations after the third or fourth episode :p )

14. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think this show would probably have been much better as a miniseries, maybe do like 3 big 2 hour events and be done with it. The plot doesn't lend itself to a multi season show

15. Belbo

Belbo Ensign Newbie

Man, I know it's common for showrunners to try and emulate Lost, but did they really have to imitate its awful Season 2/3 wheel spinning phase?

Well, except that Linda makes Anna Lucia look like Supercop - I was really hoping that Phil would "accidentally" shoot her ...... :rolleyes:

16. Owain Taggart

That's what I thought too. For awhile, they were advertising it as a miniseries, which it should have stayed as. I'm not sure how miniseries work, but I'm under the assumption that once it's been ordered, that they have to air it as miniseries are often made for specific networks in mind, so if that's the case, they would have been safer to keep it as a miniseries. I doubt anyone's going to be watching the second season after last night's finale.

I expected at least one answer last night, but nothing was really explained at all, other than the pretty purple stars. They gave us an answer in the form of special effects, as if that would really answer anything concrete, instead of answering some of the bigger questions like why Big Jim has such a personal stake in all this and why he's trying to keep everyone from finding out the secrets.

But I now know that answers were just too big a burden for this show. When you look at it as a whole, it was rather nonsensical all the way through, with no driving narrative to keep things together, so if they'd wanted to answer things, they would have had to actually think logically and have the characters behave rationally. Everything seemed to have been thrown around without a care for any plot or connection to anything else in the series.

17. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really think they muddled through, coming up with a Maxine storyline to pad out a season so they could fill the "answers" episodes slots that would have been in the mini-series.

I'm really hoping that with some time to plan a season, it'll be a little bit more coherent then the mismash we got.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

19. Owain Taggart

I think that's most likely because people were curious to see how badly it would turn out. Season 2 would have to completely rethink things if it wants to get my attention. As it is, with the weak finale we got? No.

20. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i agree with owain. it had more to do with people just peeping in to see what they did for the finale.. how it was different from book ect then with any real interest in the series. very few of the people I know what started out watching where still watching. but some were going to watch the finale to see how they handled the train wreck.