Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by James Bond, Aug 21, 2008.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Maybe it will be a little bit of both, like "Lost City." It was designed as a series finale and yet still had some cliffhanger aspects-- Col. O'Neill was on the verge of death and put into stasis at the end and Daniel Jackson realizes that they still haven't found the Lost City, merely another Ancient outpost.

2. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad that there's no cliffhanger ending so there's no waiting months and months for a conclusion.

3. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, I remember saying almost exactly that back in the day when Sci Fi cancelled Farscape.

Obviously, they think they can field some programming that will get better ratings. That, and they hope the DVD sales will line their pockets.

With Atlantis and nuBSG ending in the same year, one hopes Sci Fi's got something of quality in the pipe, or things are going to start looking a little sparse.

4. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Knowing SciFi, they'll likely replace both Atlantis and BG with a show about a pre-schooler who has the ability to walk thru walls and solve mysteries, all before nap time.

The child will also be either half reptile or half insect. From a parallel universe.

Lot's of cool explosions every week too, and a single parent so there can be the romance aspect as well.

Nothing like quality scifi entertainment... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  5. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, no kidding! :lol:

I remember back to when Sci Fi was essentially nothing but re-runs of Quantum Leap.

6. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

And a giant pet snake/alligator/chubacabra that lives in the sewers beneath his house, that fights crime by night wearing a tight leather outfit, and using high tech gimzos created by eccentric next door neighbor inventor/scientist played by David Hewlitt.

:rolleyes:

7. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Atlantis, frankly, dropped the ball, when the series premiered, it was with season 8 of sg-1, which wrapped up pretty much everything in the SG Galaxy, the first season was decent, but accomplished nothing, season 9 of sg-1 gave us a crapshoot villan and S2 of atlantis gave us more nothing by the end of season 3 of atlantis, and the end overall of SG-1, they hadn't even gotten the cool space ship to fly, and they were fighting two ever present but utterly unfightable enemies, the wraith because there were waaaay too manny of once near immortal, now destroyable with a 9mm (and have a ton of ships) creatures, and the Gen'ai who were "just misguided so we were never hostile twards them" despite them being total dicks, so when SG-1 went, i found no desire to watch atlantis, and only caught a few random eps afterwards (did they EVER get atlantis to fly) and the ones i did see had the freaking replicators, not even replicator replicators, just lame-assed copies, i had so many hopes for atlantis, that they would bring new tech to SG-1, that there would be a cool new ship to blast goauld or whatever and fun new adventures, instead we get vampires in S&M gear, Nazi's, and a half-assed replicator knock off

8. gastrof

Well, I don't know that all they ever ran was QL over 50% of the time, let alone 24/7. And it's not like QL wasn't an enjoyable show.

SciFi started out when someone at USA Network noticed the good ratings they were getting running old LOST IN SPACE episodes. They created SciFi Channel as a place where you could go to watch "old friends".

Later, a new bunch of so-called execs came in and totally ruined it with slasher films and made-for-TV movies that probably were written by a high school kid during summer break, and cost about $1.25 to film.

They're known for cancelling their best shows, all the time claiming "Bad ratings". (Sure...that's why there have been such fan protests...because "nobody was watching". Yeah, right.)

I really LOVE the line Bonnie Hammer (in charge of the channel since the whole deterioration started) used with the press once...

"We can't limit ourselves to the scifi fan. We have to broaden our audience."

Yeah, lady. That's what a nitch channel needs to do. Ignore their core audience and try to just bring in EVERYONE in any way possible.

Well, apparently both Galactica and the Stargate people were smart and CHOSE to end their series before SciFi murdered them early.

Still, I liked ATLANTIS. It's a shame.

It WILL be interesting to see if MGM allows SciFi to become the new home of the STARGATE UNIVERSE series, or if they'll market it elsewhere.

9. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Atlantis was forced to abandon the old planet when the Replicators discovered their location, so yes. Not that it's changed anything substantive about the show so far.

Speaking of the Replicators, I just wish they'd made it clear what their relation was to those in Ida! All I can come up with is that some Pegasus replicator fragments found their way into the path of the Milky Way/Ida replicators, and once they assimilated that tech it allowed them to construct their own humanforms with similar capabilities.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Quantum leap at 3:00 then X-Files(sometimes Knight Rider) then SG-1.

At least ION television is showing QL episodes but they look like dated compared to Scifi's version. They must be showing the original NBC versions

11. gastrof

12. Sephiroth

^^let me guess, they drained thier power source flying the ship to the planet across the street that just happened to be mostly water, so Skiffy didn't have to pay for a new set of CG stock footage, and had to find a new ZPM that was rumored about a billion years ago on planet X but the locals were working with the wraith/genai/repliwhatevers and was 90% drained so they at the end of the episode were in the exact same boat as when they started, right? would it be so difficult for them to find a ZPM factory or something, i'm sure atlantis had one

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^Nuh-uh! Didn't you read the label?

Atlantis: Batteries Not Included.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I was just saying that it looked grainer and the sound was more muddled compared to the cleaner and crisp Scifi version. It's probably just the station airing it

15. Sephiroth

than HOW did the ancients make them back when they moved to the pegasus galaxy?

16. gastrof

You forgot one part-

The replicators got a beam weapon thru to hit Atlantis as it was taking off. Weir was badly injured, and Pegaus Replicator nanites were used to save her, only they somehow started to take over, and Weir ended up with the Replicators. Samantha Carter was assigned to take Weir's place, and more recently...wait for it....WOLSEY. (Played by the guy who played the holographic doctor on STAR TREK: VOYAGER.)

He looks TERRIBLE in Elizabeth's clothes.

:lol:

17. Sephiroth

so if i had originally left the remark i had in "it was probably a two-part season finale episode, too" would i have gotten a candy?

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

There's an interview with Brad Wright on gateworld which is mostly BS if you ask me.

Also, he says how SGA can go on forever in movies. I disagree. Things need to be tied up, character arcs finished and storylines given closure. The Stargate universe goes on in, ironically, Universe. Don't keep SGA limping along.

19. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

I'm not terribly bummed out over SGA cancellation. I like the show, but it had very little direction and purpose, so it didn't entirely click with me. I'm still watching it because of Rodney, Shep, Kaylee, the EMH and Trip, and it is generally a fun sci-fi show. And I don't mind SGA movies, as long as they're as good as Continuum.

If nothing else, this might be a good thing for Universe. It may mean that the writers will plan a decent, concise story arc to take into account that show potentially not lasting more than 5 seasons. Maybe not quite like Babylon 5, but you know what I mean. Maybe even single-season arcs, like Buffy. Give that show some direction.

20. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree

Not surprising, Brad Wright if full of BS himself.