Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by SRFX, Jun 21, 2010.

1. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

MELD - 2x16 - 5/5

This is definitely one of Voyager's all-time stand out episodes and just a terrific piece of Trek in it's own right. This is a very dark and superbly acted episode that explores some pretty hard issues like capital punishment and the inner-psyche of a homicidal psychopath. If Voyager isn't going to have long plot arcs like DS9, they very least it could do is pump out more of these sort of standalone episodes that explore human nature in great detail and intensity.

Brad Dourif is an amazing actor. I mostly know him from his later role as the doctor on Deadwood - who quickly became my favourite character. His portrayal of Lon Suder is believably gripping and getting to see him play off Tim Russ who finally gets to show his acting range in this episode is a total joy. It's even more interesting that Suder was made a Betazoid. They are a race typically known for their telepathy and emotional empathy, so making him a Betazoid who is completely emotionally detached and dysfunctional adds to the character enormously.

Even the minor B story about the crew setting up an illegal betting pool on the holodeck is cool and the rising tensions between Chak and Paris is interesting in itself.

There's not much else I have to say about this episode, but safe to say I've seen it many times and it's emotional impact is still as intense as when I first saw it. The final scene between Suder and Tuvok gives me goosebumps every time and I believe that is a true mark of a quality piece of acting and storytelling.

I have no qualms giving this episode 5 stars.

2. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

DREADNOUGHT - 2x17 - 3/5

There's not a great deal to this episode as it is mostly an action piece but that's not to say it isn't a fun episode. It's a dramatic and tense situation with a runaway missile operated by a mind of it's own. The fact it speaks in B'Elanna's voice is also a little creepy :D

The story also provides some more good character background information for B'Elanna as well as the Maquis in general. Also, even though I know how the Paris Misbehavin' plotline ends up, it's fun to have an ongoing arc in this season. It might be a bit too early to tell, but season 2 may be my favourite season (despite the horrors of Threshold). Plus I dunno, but seeing those Cardassian computer panels just made everything feel familiar.

Mostly shallow stuff in this episode, but there's plenty of action and cool scenes that add to up to an entertaining three quarters of an hour. Plus it's always cool to watch a Captain go down with their ship.

3. NBG011

NBG011 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's amazing that Meld comes right after Threshold. As if the writers did extra hours to make up for what they have done.

4. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

I needed a big recovery from 'Threshold' and it was 'Meld' that kept my spirits high.

5. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

DEATH WISH - 2x18 - 5/5

Yet another stand-out episode for this season. 'Death Wish' combines the still relevant and topical issue of euthanasia with the intriguing science-fiction concept of what happens to an omnipotent being who has experienced all there is to experience in the universe.

This is excellent development of the Q, but not character assassination. The Q are still beyond the comprehension of human beings and nothing really changes that by the end of this episode. I am not a huge fan of the later Q episodes on Voyager, but this one is a welcome addition to Q lore.

This is a well acted, funny, dramatic and emotional episode - everything that a good Q episode should be about. I would even say this is on par with TNG's strongest Q episodes (i.e. 'Deja Q' and 'Tapestry') and is much better than Q's token appearance on DS9.

This episode deals with some hard issues and the main actors in this episode all provide stellar performances. Also bonus points for B'Elanna making the call: "This ship will not survive the formation of the cosmos!"

6. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

LIFESIGNS - 2x19 - 4/5

It was a pleasant surprise to be treated to another Doctor episode. He's easily my favourite character and this episode plays out much better and is arguably more influential on his character than the relatively weak 'Projections' from earlier on.

It's not a particularly complicated story and there's a fair bit of medico-babble which I am less inclined to criticise than technobabble as my knowledge of medicine is quite small - meaning I'm happy to suspend my disbelief with greater ease.

This episode helps to further develop the Vidiian backstory and paint them as a three dimensional people with a real issue. The Paris arc also ramps up in this episode with Tom becoming increasingly undisciplined and he PUSHES CHAKOTAY ON HIS ASS. This scene alone probably helped bump this episode from a three to a four in my opinion.

This is a very 'nice' story without a tidy resolution for the Doctor or Denara - they simply must enjoy the time they have before she has to leave and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

7. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

INVESTIGATIONS - 2x20 - 2/5

So, cooking with Neelix? Spare me for the love of christ.

This is such an underwhelming ending to the Michael Jonas arc. It's such a shame they threw away this plot line so casually. In fact, my memory was telling me that this all didn't get wrapped up until "Basics" so I was actually surprised and quite disappointed to see it happen so early.

Keeping Chakotay in the dark was such a dick move by Janeway and Tuvok and shows at best, they have no faith in him as a Commander and at worst, treat like the butt of some running joke. Now this would be alright if this led somewhere (Chakotay taking charge of a mutiny, Janeway demoting him as she didn't trust him) but no, it goes no where at all and we're left with an almost comical scene of Chakotay ONCE AGAIN BEING LEFT IN THE DARK. It's surprising he didn't just bail from Voyager and go off with Seska. The drama of the episode maintains a steady pace, but unfortunately Neelix being at the centre of it all is disappointing and underwhelming - which pretty much sums up this episode.

There's also a horrible logic error/oversight with Neelix being able to trivially enter someone's quarters using an engineering access code. Up until this time, I always believed Starfleet security was both through code and voice recognition, meaning the person needed to sound accurate, as well as provide the correct code. Neelix proves that all you need is a goddamn password that you just happen to say with your mouth. I refuse to believe Starfleet is this stupid so this goes down as a dumb oversight for me.

8. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

DEADLOCK - 2x21 - 2/5

This is another episode that starts off with a bang but before the first act is up, peters out into nothing remarkable.

First off, Neelix is an asshole for making a pregnant SCIENCE OFFICER do engineering work. I mean, I am not saying she shouldn't do her job the best she can, but first of all, it's not HER job to fix kitchen appliances and second of all there are numerous ENGINEERING OFFICERS IN THE MESS HALL RIGHT NOW. It's an oversight that makes Neelix look a total dick.

Then shit starts to go wrong and it's all very exciting. I would love if this happened more often. Unfortunately it all turns out to be alternate reality bullshit. But before that jig is up, HARRY KIM DIES. This is going on the scoreboards, BIG TIME.

Unfortunately all the drama and intensity of the first few scenes of this episode makes way for seemingly endless technobabble and painfully horrible analogies. And then everything gets wrapped up all very neatly in a resolution that with Voyager get a free do-over on Kim and Naomi whilst ignoring the pseudo-science established earlier (the potential imbalancing of the atomic weights of the two Voyagers) by destroying the now even more screwed Voyager.

I do however like Janeway's closing statement: "We're Starfleet officers. Weird is part of the job."

Harry Kim Horror Count: 5

9. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

INNOCENCE - 2x22 - 3/5

This episode is a bit on the lukewarm side but I am happy to give it the benefit of the doubt and bump it from a 2 to a 3 as the enjoyment of this episode comes from watching Tuvok interact with the children with more of his backstory and personality revealed. This is all pleasant stuff and I enjoyed watching.

The shuttle action in the atmosphere was a nice change of pace compared to the usual space-based stand-offs we've had so far.

I don't have much more to say about this episode but it's nice to see a first contact not go horribly wrong for Voyager. Of course, the drama we got could've been avoided if these idiot aliens had just explained the situation in the first place rather than being needlessly xenophobic/isolationist. I mean, I can understand them not wanting to divulge too much of their culture, but just a simple explanation could've avoided the whole mess they were so paranoid about in the first place.

10. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

THE THAW - 2x23 - 5/5

We're all familiar with this little gem of an episode so I don't really feel the need to review it in any particular depth, or discuss it in detail.

This is one of Voyager's best outings, and is as perfect and original a Trek episode as you can get. All the major performances (McKean, Picardo, Mulgrew) are superb.

Oh, and add one more to the Harry Horror count for Mr. Kim being tortured physically and emotionally in an endless circus of horrors. Not to mention almost being beheaded.

Harry Horror Count: 6

11. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

TUVIX - 2x24 - 5/5

Season 2 just keeps dishing up good ones huh? I suppose Threshold still needs redeeming.

This episode has been, and probably will continue to be debated for years and I don't intend to turn this thread into another 'Janeway did the right/wrong thing discussion'.

I will state that I flatly disagree with Janeway's decision and I feel that it is inhumane to sacrifice an unwilling person to save another, but that doesn't stop this episode being superb. The fact that fans are still arguing over those decision 15 years later is a testament to how provocative this episode is. It is well acted, well paced, and yet another 5 star outing for Voyager.

12. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

RESOLUTIONS - 2x25 - 3/5

I have to say, I didn't exactly go into this episode with a positive mindset as I vaguely remember the story and then realised how much romantic fan-fic must have spawned from this. There was also this sense that this episode was not written for me.

But it's not as bad as I thought and I have to admit, a part of me enjoyed this episode. It's certainly nothing amazing, but it was a pleasant 45 minutes and the scenes on Voyager added some actiony excitement to the pedestrian pace being set on the planet.

Amusingly, everyone seemed to be worried about Janeway Janeway Janeway.....CHAKOTAY IS DOWN THERE TOO! Poor guy didn't even get to say a farewell speech thanks to Janeway's mic hogging.

Really loved how much referencing of previous events there were! Do this more often Voyager - it will be to your benefit!

The small amount of insight into Janeway's motivations and her character is welcome and makes me realise we haven't really had much personal development of Janeway. We see her developed as a Captain but not as a person so I am glad they humanised her for once.

However, for an episode called "Resolutions" there isn't much resolution. I am hoping this experience comes up again as it can't be emotionally healthy for Jane and Chak to go back to the way things were (though from memory, I don't think it does so boo)

I was going to give this episode a 2, but the efforts to maintain continuity and the fact it didn't make me cringe helped bump this up to a 3.

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Please... Kate and Chak... ;)

I still maintain the title is referring to Kate & Chak's resolution that "What happened on New Earth, stays on New Earth." Not that the unresolved sexual tension between these two gets "resolved".

Technically, these two never mention New Earth again, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE their season 3 conversation in her ready room

SPOILERS

about Q's desire to mate with her.

CHAKOTAY: Have you heard anything more from Q?
    JANEWAY: No. I wish I could believe he's gone for good.
    CHAKOTAY: I was wondering just what just what you meant when you said he made a personal request.
    JANEWAY: He wants to mate with me. :ack:
    CHAKOTAY: I see.
    JANEWAY: (KJ is temporarily oblivious! :brickwall: ) Obviously, it's out of the question. And I suspect it's a smoke screen. Knowing Q, he's probably got some hidden agenda.
    CHAKOTAY:Maybe. :techman:
    JANEWAY: (KJ stands up and places her hand on his shoulder/chest) Chakotay. :angel:
    CHAKOTAY: I know I don't have any right to feel this way... but this bothers the hell out of me. :drool:
    Q: (To Chak) I do believe you're jealous.....:devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVs8U4i2RMU

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  14. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

BASICS, PART I - 2x26 - 4/5

It's a real shame Suder is killed off in part 2 as I find him one of the most compelling ensemble characters in the history of Star Trek and it's a shame he gets such little screen time.

There's not too much to comment on events here as everything is basically established to setup the drama of Part 2. But the drama here is nonetheless solid and the acting and dialogue are all great.

I was going to give this a 3, but by upping the stakes with the Kazon stealing Voyager and stranding the crew on a harsh planet in the middle of nowhere, 70,000 light years from home is a pretty big deal.

I feel that bumps this episode up to a 4.

15. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

Well, averaging out my scores for season 2 provides me with a figure of 3.11 which places it slightly lower than season 1, although I feel this could be because season 1 was much shorter and the episodes held over from season 1 were mostly below average stuff.

However to say this is the only cause of season 2's problems would ignore its own stinkers like Threshold and Persistence of Vision, despite season 2 having more stellar episodes like The Thaw, Death Wish, Tuvix and Meld.

Stay tuned for Season 3!

16. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

BASICS, PART II - 3x01 - 3/5

After the big dramatic setup of Part I, Part II is quite a let down. The stuff on the planet just felt farcical and I had a real hard time taking anything there seriously, not to mention the endless cliches and Neelix acting like a useless moron. Poor Hogan - you deserve better than to be eaten by a CGI cave eel. :(

So this leaves us with the Suder/Doc story on Voyager and Paris bouncing around in a shuttlecraft. Suder being forced to come to terms with the reality of having to murder once again is terrifically powerful stuff and I relished every scene with him on screen. Picardo delivers some great dialogue between them as well as when he's talking on his own, not to mentio The Doctor is such an enjoyable person to hear just monologuing. :)

The ending events of this episode are particularly troubling, and even without reading any of the production dramas going on between Piller and Taylor, the mass culling of characters and storylines is so blatantly obvious, not to mention the baby turning out to be Culluh's is a total non-sequitur. And then, after reading about Piller's desires to kill Chakotay's baby, I am even more incensed at Jeri Taylor's moronically bland vision of Voyager. I mean, what was her ideal Voyager episode? Everyone sitting around talking and agreeing on something inconseqeuntial? She seemed hell bent on removing anything of possible drama or conflict. Or perhaps she wanted to clean up a season with so many loose ends that weren't working. Well you know why they weren't working? Because you did them in such a half-assed manner! I'm sure Piller is equally to blame, since he was the one developing these threads, but at least I get the sense from things I read that he wanted to TRY and resolve them, not just kill everyone involved!

Anyway, I won't let that affect my score of Basics, Part II, but as it stands, I give a 5 for Suder's storyline and a 0 for the planet malarkey which averages this episode out to a 2.5. Now I don't like giving half marks, so the final score will be determined by my personal slant on this episode, and coupled with Paris's fun shenanigans in the shuttle and the fact the episode is at least never boring, I am going to bump it up to a 3.

A very haphazard ending to Voyager's first cliffhanger, but we'll see how it holds up to Voy's future offerings, later on.

17. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

FLASHBACK - 3x02 - 3/5

I felt this episode takes a VERY long time to get going and when it does, the memory engram virus story and the Excelsior flashback story are completely incongruous plot elements.

This episode is executed very lazily I feel and seems to have an identity crisis, not to mention the continuity issues that arise from it.

But the Excelsior stuff is satisfyingly fun, even though it's not 100% accurate - but I guess you can put that down to flaws in Tuvok's memory? Seeing Takei and others in action again is great fun and the episode really does pay tribute to the unseen actions of the Excelsior crew during Star Trek VI.

This is a fun, if flawed little romp but it's no where near as satisfying as DS9's 30th Anniversary tribute, Trials and Tribbleations. However it's enjoyable enough for me to bump it from the 2 I was thinking of giving it, to a 3.

18. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

THE CHUTE - 3x03 - 2/5

Things kick off with Harry Kim being thrown into a prison of horrors and getting the shit kicked out of him. HARRY KIM HORROR #7

It's nice to see Harry and Tom in a dangerous situation together, testing their friendship. I don't think we've really seen this before and it's good to see.

Unfortunately things don't really go anywhere in this episode and up in space Janeway once again needlessly antagonises an alien speices. Although, the alien species in Voyager who fill in for the 'villain of the week role' are usually so obtusely stupid (like this week's) that I guess it really doesn't matter. Probably the only good scene was Harry losing it at Paris and almost killing him.

Also why did Janeway fly down the chute? What a farcical resolution which serves nothing but illustrate that either her decisions are illogical, or she doesn't trust an armed security team to the job she feels she could do with a phaser rifle.

Probably the only thing realstic in this episode is Neelix acting like a clueless moron. Although this unfortunately devolves into undeserved self-congratulations on his part.

Unremarkable, slightly silly, and boring.

Harry Kim Horror Count: 7

19. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

[double post]

20. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Because its KEWL!