Star Trek V: The Final Frontier enhanced effects reel

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Penhall99, May 18, 2009.

1. Penhall99

Penhall99 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I disagree. The only thing that would take some time and money would be the ending, and even that is still achievable without an enormous budget.

Yes, TFF needs more work than TMP needed, but its still possible to let Shatner do his cut of the film for a reasonable price.

2. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

^ I agree. I love this movie. I'm watching it right now and I can see where the effects reel would improve some of the overall quality, but they really do need to let the Shat get a refit. It's only right considering the hell they went through trying to get the movie made.

J.

3. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see how upgrading the movie's effects would be profitable.

4. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, probably about as profitable as the ST:TMP Director's Cut or the Superman II: Richard Donner Version DVDs...or the Legend Director's Cut that was released a few years ago...

Anyway, I don't think Paramount has anything to lose...why not do it?

5. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

Without knowing how the DVD sales for TFF compare to the other films it's really not safe to say Paramount has nothing to lose. That's mere speculation.

6. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I really like the effort here. It would be nice to get a TFF Director's Cut.

7. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, being one of the few who like the movie, I can definitely tell you it's not because of the FX lol. If they wanted to bother and do a director's cut, they basically have to throw out 80% of the effect shots and redo them in higher quality and with better staging, as several posters mentioned before. Is it doable! yes. Will Paramount bother? I don't know.

TMP was a better liked movie than TFF. TMP also only needed minor touch ups (fix up the pacing, cut out too much unnecessary stuff, the actual scenes where new FX footage was rendered was probably 2-3mins worth of the movie, TFF would probably need at least 20mins of new renderings)

8. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither does Paramount, otherwise Shatner and a CGI team would have been thrown into a room together years ago.

It's a shame, I'd love to see Shatner's original ideas finally on film. I'd be much more inclined to buy a "definitive", Shatner approved TFF with CGI than see bits of TOS episodes interspersed with 2000's CGI.

Oh, and to the guys doing the fan restoration - great stuff:techman:

9. Penhall99

Penhall99 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek fans know the movie's troubled history, and they'd definitely pick up a director's edition of Star Trek V. Its a no-brainer.

10. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Absolutely. And so would fans of alternate versions of films -- such as myself. I think I have every director's cut and special edition of most sci-fi and fantasy films.

I would add TFF in a heartbeat.