Star Trek TMP era Animated 3D VR Series in production!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by 3D-Freemason, Jul 25, 2016.

1. 3D-Freemason

3D-Freemason Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

WE NEED STAR TREK TMP era CG MODELS!

SETS / PROPS/ SHIPS, ETC, ESPECIALLY A GOOD TMP ERA Refit Bridge!)!

As I finalize last few scenes of my Star Trek TOS Era CGI Animated Episode:
    'Star Trek - Beyond Antares' Part 3 of 3 ( )

I am now in pre-production and collecting resources / models to Animate Episode one of my next project called: 'STAR TREK-Next Five' or: '1701-VR' ( http://StarTrekNextFive.com )

[​IMG]

Star Trek Next Five and 1701-VR will be 18 - new Full Length Star Trek stories with all the voices of the original crew set in TMP era and in 3D Virtual Reality!

' Imagine joining the Star Trek crew for their Second 5 year mission onboard the Re-Fit Enterprise in 18 Brand New 45-min. Star Trek Adventures with all the voices of the original crew.
    NOW: Imagine doing so in 3D 360° Virtual Reality Holodeck Adventures! Imagine fully immersing yourself in a Star trek world, go on the away missions with the crew, and all in much much higher fidelity than: Star Trek - 'Beyond Antares' '

Read all about 'Beyond Antares' and my new 3D VR project here:

http://www.axanarproductions.com/fan-film-friday-star-trek-beyond-antares-part-1/
    and
    http://www.axanarproductions.com/fan-film-friday-star-trek-beyond-antares-part-2/

Here is the most relevant excerpt of part 2 of the article:
    '
    When I was younger. I studied computers and the technology behind both electronic music and computer animation before coming into an interest in creating visuals and music, Now I can do BOTH as I develop these new Star Trek adventures into 3D and virtual reality HOLODECK adventures.

JONATHAN: Um, excuse me…did you just say “holodeck”???

ROBERT: This is really the most exciting thing (at least to me) that I’m planning! Here, take a look at this VR Video of the original Enterprise TOS Bridge (and remember to click on the gear button at the lower right and set it to HD quality):

As you watch the video, click and drag your mouse around. Even though the camera is “walking” around the TOS bridge, you can turn your “head” any way you want—left, right, forward, backward, up, or down—at every point thorough the entire video.

JONATHAN (doing it as we’re talking): Wow…that is SO COOL! I love it! (I could probably play with that all day!)

[​IMG]
    Just some of the angles I viewed the bridge from as I “walked around.”

ROBERT: Now imagine watching one of my new Star Trek episodes like that.

JONATHAN: Huh?

ROBERT: I want to make the first real VR (virtual reality) series for Star Trek. Granted, only people with Google Cardboard, Oculus, or a GearVR etc. helmet would opt for the VR version of each episode. But they could literally “walk through” an episode as it was happening! And the VR episode would also be in stereoscopic 3D, so they will perceive natural immersive depth in all the scenes!

JONATHAN: And what about the rest of us who just have a computer and watch YouTube the “old fashioned” way on a flat screen? Will we be able to view your future episodes, too?

ROBERT: Of course! The VR version will be a special option available to those with the proper equipment. For the rest, there will be a normal 2D version where I set the camera angles and pans and zooms, and you can just watch it like any other video, I will also output a stereoscopic 3D version you can watch on a flt screen with 3D Glasses. I rendered 10 minutes of Beyond Antares in full stereoscopic 3D as a test that you can view here (3D glasses required, of course!):

I have already fully developed a proprietary method of using the same rendered footage for all three episodic presentation formats: standard 2D, stereoscopic 3D, or immersive VR-3D!

JONATHAN: That’s astounding…and it could change the entire way people watch fan films. Now, I know you said it’s proprietary, but could you pull back the curtain just a little to tell us how the virtual reality would work? I mean, if Kirk and McCoy are having a conversation in Sickbay, can I walk out into the corridor and head over to Engineering or the Transporter Room? Can I beam down???

ROBERT: Not quite. You do have to remain “in the scene.” Think of it like this: the camera starts by pointing at the action in the scene, like any normal production. Even in VR, you would always begin any scene, by seeing what the director intended, so there is never any confusion about where you should be looking. BUT!!! You can turn your head (with a VR helmet on) and experience the rest of the environment! Imagine this: you’re watching Captain Kirk talk to Mr. Spock in the mess hall. You suddenly hear walking coming up on your rear right side, slowly getting louder (a sound cue I’d be sure to add). Now, you might turn right to see an attractive young yeoman coming up to speak to the Captain. Had you not turned your head and instead just continued to watch Kirk and Spock, she would have entered the scene in the usual fashion from off-screen “stage right.” - But now you can actually watch her enter the mess hall and walk over to Kirk!

Another example might be you’re watching a scene on the bridge and suddenly everyone turns to look at something off screen (off screen for you) to your left, --> Wanna see what they’re all staring at? Just turn to look to see what’s coming! Maybe it’s behind you or even YOU! ;~) :)

Understand, though, that I don’t plan to just throw an episode into VR and leave it as nothing more than a 2D episode where you can spin around. That’s just a gimmick, and I don’t like gimmicks. I am a master editor of two decades and a professional virtual cameraman. I will fully make use of the immersive VR environment. I’ve been planning and brainstorming for years how to direct and edit specifically for virtual reality episodes.

JONATHAN: That sounds like a lot of work—making three different versions of each episode…

[​IMG]
    Note that Robert actually adjusts the camera’s focus during a scene to make the character who is talking appear clear and the rest of the frame to blur slightly. Such attention to detail!

ROBERT: Not really. There’s work in planning out and setting up the VR version of the episode. But with my process of handling the camera work and the editing, it will be almost no more work to use the same rendered footage for all three versions.'

WE NEED 3D STAR TMP REFIT ENTERPRISE SETS, INTERIORS, PROPS, ETC. ESPECIALLY A QUALITY BRIDGE!
    I will be working ion 3DS MAX but almost any format is fine and can be converted.
    If you (or anyone you can point me to) can help me find the 3D Sets (in any format) I need to do the Refit 'A' Enterprise Interiors, I would be able to reward your efforts in many ways,with: involvement in the project, Exclusive updates, Perks given to all eventual Crowd Funders and Supporters, Additional Speaking Lines in the episodes, Using you Likeness as a RED SHIRT in an episode, Copies of each episode in the Format of your choice: 2D Bluray, 3D Bluray or File Format for VR System, and of course CREDIT for your CGI Sets, Props, Ships and etc.on the Project webpages and in each EPISODE,

For more info check out
    http://StarTrekNext5.com
    http://StarTrekNextFive.com

This is an evolving project and I am hoping many people will become involved and have fun with it, I will be setting up a blog where you can ask questions, get updates, etc. I will also be doing a crowd funding campaign with the help of Axanar / Aries Digital to Fund and Create the 18 (45-mins. each) episodes!

THANK YOU!!! Lets Make Star Trek Year Five Happen!

Robert England (Woody3D)

[​IMG]

YJAGG, Tosk and Pauln6 like this.
  2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Uh, one, this belongs under the Fan Productions forum.

Two, until recently, I would have said talk to Donny (He's in the Fan Art section) about TMP sets and props. But since he's now worked on 'Star Trek Online,' he's off limits via the Fan Film Guidelines (which has put a 30 minute cap on films and a ban on 'series', if you weren't aware). So... yeah. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to see some TMP era stories from the second 5 year mission. A virtual TMP Enterprise to tour would also be cool. I don't know what the definition of 'series' is under the new guidelines? Does this exclude stand alone stories with the same characters? If so - booooo.

4. 3D-Freemason

I am not really one for 'guidelines' (most true Artists aren't) I will make what I make regardless, I am surprised to see Star Trek fans worried more about some amorphous 'guidelines' than simply having fun working to make new magic happen.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. 3D-Freemason

This is the Movie section and my TMP Era production is Movie related so I put it here. As for 'guidelines', Artists have never been limited by such things. I will make what I make regardless lets the chips fall where they may!

6. 3D-Freemason

Typical lack of support and positivism at TrekBBS, The one place I I can always count on to be treated with a lack of common decency and community.

7. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Word to the wise, that's all. I'd hate to see you or your product get in trouble.

wtriker1701, Kor, Firebird and 3 others like this.
  8. 3D-Freemason

First of all, I create ALL THAT, YEARS of WORK, and don't get a SINGLE SUPPORTIVE WORD, while your creativity controlling comments get 'liked'. I would rather get in trouble, than not make my Art. I have not heard of these guidelines, I don't even know to what you are referring. Besides LAWS and RULES are LAWS and RULES Guidelines are SUGGESTIONS. I do not take the kind of suggestions that tell me not to create. I have never had a single kind or supportive word from this board and I never expected to. I will make my project with or without help from the 'Community' (a term used VERY LOOSELY).
    As I lay down to sleep last night my last thought was: 'what the hell is wrong with these so called Trek Fans who would give up the last (GIANT) repository of unheard dialog from all their favorites (half now dead), just to flash a little smarmy attitude to me?'
    I have gotten less than $200 of support in 2 long years out of the TREK 'Community' (a term used VERY LOOSELY) to make what I have, I'll give it back no problem and laugh while doing so... What a joke. I am not trying to make a FUNCTIONING and COMPETING STUDIO out of donations, I am just making my ART regardless of funding, (and with less than $200 in 2 years, that's a VERY good thing, at least 100,000 people enjoyed Beyond Antares before its even done!). I am happy with my 100,000+ views and 1000+ subscribers. The MERE FACT that I created the TOS Bridge in VR form (link above view ON YOUTUBE) should have garnered some interested and appreciative comments, never mind the 37 minutes of CGI and all original voices in a new story,. ahem.. Instead I get reminded of arbitrary guidelines made by Millionaires to limit us, and told not to make my Art,. Perhaps you (all?) are simply too young to remember what it means to be a fan of a show about democratizing the future. (not quoting guidelines to keep creativity in check like communists). What next will you 'report me' like some neighbors did to others neighbors in Nazi Germany?
    INDEPENDENT THOUGHT ALERT!
    INDEPENDENT THOUGHT ALERT!
    MUST CLAMP DOWN! MUST CONTROL!
    Shame Shame Shame.

9. Dilandu

Dilandu Commander Red Shirt

Great job, 3D-Freemason! Quite good 3D graphic!

P.S. Hm, for some reason the links on your site seems to malfunction.

10. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice work. The 3-D modeling is quite impressive.

And no matter what opinions one may hold of the new fan film guidelines, they just happen to be the official word of CBS and Paramount, and it is simply good practice to adhere to them for the mere sake of not having one's labor of love completely shut down forever. http://www.startrek.com/fan-films

Kor

wtriker1701 and BillJ like this.
  11. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Oh dear, oh dear. Where to begin.

It doesn't matter how long you or any other artist spend creating something, it doesn't entitle you to any positive support. And lecturing people about it certainly won't garner it.

Of course it got liked. If you'd take a second and think about it, it was a kind comment meant to help you so you could continue and not get in any legal trouble. I only wish the board was filled with more comments like that and liked as a result.

This kind of trouble can cease the art, further moe it's morphed away from your art since you are asking for other people's contributions, which in turn could get them in legal trouble for being involved. Think Axanar.

Stop, take the time out to read them.

You play legal ball when using somebody's else's creative property.

Your profile only shows 15 posts since 2012. What are you expecting with so little posting spread out over less than five years?

So, what you are admitting to publically is profitting illegally off somebody's else's intellectual property? This is becoming Axanar 2.0. Please, for your sake and anybody who helps you, play ball. The support will come in slowly then.

They didn't wake up and find a bag of money beside their pillows, they got it from the very fans you are lecturing, of time, films and series. And one doesn't have to be a millionire to have intellectual property and set guidelines upon it. Further more, millionaire and art are not proper nouns.

Sir, no, I will speak for myself, but I won't hi the Report link until there is a flagrant violation of the board rules, however I expect a MOD to come by shortly and let you know what is what around here with such behavior.

Please, read the fanfiction guidelines, play ball, and be nice to us here and there shouldn't be a problem. There's your positive comment.

wtriker1701 likes this.
  12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:guffaw:

You want to get sued by CBS for $150,000 per infraction? Be my guest.

But this isn't an official product from either CBS or Paramount. It should go in the Fan Film forum. Putting it here gives it attention as official CBS product, which it isn't.

wtriker1701 likes this.
  13. Dilandu

Dilandu Commander Red Shirt

There are official fanfiction guidelines for Star Trek? Or you mean the fan film guidelines?

14. tharpdevenport

Already linked above in another user's reply.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Just for fan films so far. Nothing for fanfiction.

Yet.

16. tharpdevenport

I meant fan films. They are fan fiction (whether it's one word or two), not canon.

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still plodding along with my TMP era comic, mixing TMP movie stills with images from other genres. I wanted to do 8 more episodes to finish off the story with a Dr Who crossover so let's hope they don't update the fan fiction rules any time soon! Only a few people watch them lol but it's a fun, (if somewhat stupid with low production values) project nevertheless.

I've just recently downloaded DAZ 3D, to see if I could cut and paste actors heads onto CGI bodies to help with action scenes. There is a forum where people discuss this sort of thing. I'm sure you're familiar already:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55888/star-trek-builders-unite-7-the-continuing-mission

As far as the fan fiction forum here goes, I believe that is the place to discuss actual, specific story ideas. There are a number of professional writers on the site and they actively avoid that forum so they can't be accused of stealing ideas. If you want to talk specifics, that is the appropriate forum on which to do it. :-)

3D-Freemason likes this.
  18. 3D-Freemason

I have read the guidelines, the very first one is suspect. no more than 15 mins. unless its 2 parts then no more than 30 mins.total, NO Additional Episodes,.. How the heck do they define additional episodes? Taken one way, it means one person can only make 30 minutes of Trek Fan film in a LIFETIME, 'NO Additional Episodes',.. Sooo What does that even mean? So I cut my VR Eps' to two 15 min segments. (better for VR actually) and create them each as individual productions and not a 'series' since they are unrelated in terms of storylines or continuity,.. (serious semantic and word games being played here,..) - I never planned to make any money (and I sure didn't!) - but for these not to exist would be the shame of shames.

19. 3D-Freemason

Hmm,. I'm not entirely sure this was addressed to me? Are you saying I should discuss the project at the Daz site? I respect Daz software, having used Poser to generate characters for my one series animated Playboy TV Show: 'Dark Justice: The Animated Series' in the 90's (I know i know, we had 5 days to make each episode (make that 7,....) with no real render power, no Graphic accelerator cards,. etc)

) (this is my Very Early work, some in 3D Studio DOS!)
    BUT I do all of 'Beyond Antares' in 3ds Max not DAZ, (Though I welcome DAZ Sets that I can then convert, re-texture and add ambient light etc) I can model all the sets myself (and as often as not, have to), but anywhere I can save time on this background project of passion, I do,. I prefer Animating and Effects to Modelling.
    The other part of your post, I'm not sure to what you are referring, I have discussed no story lines... I have 18 45-minute long complete episodes edited in Audio form with sound effects , music, comedic timing, just like Beyond Antares (but each get better than the last especially the TRELANE episode, the Harry Mudd episode(s) and the 2-part, 2-hour KLINGON episode) just waiting for my Visuals ,
    NOW it looks like I may just have to throw them away due to guidelines that take away more freedom than they give! One basically can't really do ANYTHING... And even then, only ONCE IN A LIFETIME (no additional 'episodes' whatever the heck that means)
    I need Bjo Trimbull's help here! Sitting holding the the last of the last of TREK TOS legacy, Very Nearly Canon level full length stories done to comedic and dramatic perfection with Original Voices and All,..
    I'm just going to animate them and hope for the best, so I don't get funded, Big Deal, I never got ANYTHING out of the FANS in the first place.. HELLO... Anyways, as I always have, in Music, in Science, in Art, , in Computer Programming, in CGI, in Astronomy, Ancient Archaeology and Spirituality - I pursue my interests for my OWN reasons not guided by ANYONE. Even if I was only allowed to show Friends in my HOME I would still make my 18 45-minute long 3D VR episodes with all the voices of the original crew in new unknown stories. They are all ready for visuals. You really think I will, can, SHOULD, just throw these away?! YEARS of work?!?!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  20. tharpdevenport

If you are unsure, try contacting one of the fan productions, like Star Trek: Continues (startrekcontinues.com) and I'm sure they'll be able to help you or point you to somebody who can clarify. CBS has been known to play some ball, too, with people who play ball. A lot of ball playing!

You stated earlier in the thread you made almost $200.

wtriker1701 likes this.