Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

MadMan, it's as close as I've been able to get so far. The original effect was a one-time deal that was not done before or after this episode: a combination of the phaser sound and the photon torpedo sound (which I think was meant to be the "bouncing off" effect of the phasers against the neutronium hull). The sound mix still needs work, but yeah I know what you mean.

(thanks kaiser!)

2. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

If you really want to mix things up and provide some "never before seen footage", you might want to try reducing the number of phaser shots back to what they were originally and try punctuating them with a couple of photon torpedoes that "just bounced off". That way Sulu's reaction would make more sense and you could still bring something new and fresh to the scene. I always wondered why they didn't fire any torpedoes in that ep. This would make it clear why they wouldn't work.

I actually like the way you extended the music and lengthened the scene, even though the phasers don't seem "natural".

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I think it may be a matter of less-is-more. You've got a series of shots of basically the same thing again and again. Once we see the phasers have no effect, seeing them hitting again and again doesn't add anything. You might just want to find the most dramatic shot or two and stick to those.

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, now I'll just apologize to the Professor. In fact, I thought the effect of the phaser barrage was quite spectacular. I simply thought the date, the one-day offering, and the obviously looped music to extend the scene were an effort at deliberately over-doing a good thing.

I'm sorry for laughing like a mad donkey at your honest offering. I've enjoyed your ongoing efforts on this project since it began and have been impressed by your dedication to making the episode the best it could possibly be, and never for a moment meant to insult your achievements or hurt your feelings.

Best of luck on this, Professor -- I'll keep my trap shut on this from now on and observe with silent admiration from the sidelines.

5. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

There's a bit of zoomy-zoom-zoom that I'm not used to, (Not as jarring as TOS-R though!). Perhaps slow down the pace by 1 phaser blast, and alternate the pitch of the phaser blasts on the final audio cut.

You've got your work cut out for you!

Sadly, nothing you can do can change:
    Spock: Deflectors at full power.
    They can't take much more of this. (flat).
    *nothing else is happening on screen*

6. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

I must confess I thought the very same thing for the exact same reasons. :alienblush:

Sorry Prof.

I like the phaser effect, itself, quite a lot. Personally, not sure about the extreme repitition. I can understand why it might make sense in context, though. And I seem to recall them doing something along similar lines in the TOS-R version.

7. Professor Moriarty

chirp... chirp... chirp...

Anyone here besides the crickets? :cool:

In honor of today's release of Star Trek Into Darkness on Blu-ray, an image from my no-longer-dormant project.

[​IMG]
    Click to embiggen

8. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm glad to see you're still working on this project! Happy news on a bleak day.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Awesome! Welcome back to the project!

10. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow. Not only did the Enterprise carry multiple "Galileos," it also had a fleet of "Jefferieses"...

Great image, by the way. I like the glimpse of the flight deck we can see through the lift opening.

M.

11. Professor Moriarty

LOL... the multiple Jefferies shuttles are of course clones of one model that has yet to be textured. :)

12. Maurice

Very cool. My one nit is the light fixtures don't look right for Star Trek, which never portrayed light like that on a starship.

13. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. Nice hangar setup :techman: Glad to see your project is back.

14. Professor Moriarty

Yeah, I hate the light fixtures too. They're just temporaries while I design something more pleasing- (and realistic-) looking. They will be direct lights, though; I figured that in a work area like this, indirect task lighting would not be appropriate. (And besides, we have seen direct lighting on the Enterprise before; look at the briefing room set in "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before".) Also, I'm trying to balance between designing something cool and futuristic-looking while keeping a 1960's design ethos firmly in mind. The goal here is to create something that looks like it could have been built as a standing set on Stage 9 at Desilu.

15. Maurice

I agree. I'm not saying they never showed light fixtures, just not ones that looked like those in the current render.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Awesome work.

Bleak day?

17. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he means this particular date, September 11.

Sincerely,

Bill

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The mad Prof returneth! Glad to see this revived. :rommie:

19. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Yep, and I agree. Happy news on a bleak day indeed. Saw this thread only a few weeks ago and I'm glad you've returned to the project.

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since I'm probably the one who chased him off, I should keep my mouth shut and just play quiet spectator. But since when have I ever let my awkward outbursts silence me with embarrassment before?

I'm glad to see work continuing on this, Professor, and I love the lift-thing!