Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Kaidonni

Kaidonni Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's because there are different stores. When I scroll to the bottom of any of the pages here, I see two other flags - a US and Australian flag. Clicking on those takes me to the store for that country.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Ah! Well, that explains it. Never noticed that before, actually, damn my eyes! Guess I should have ordered it from a store that actually had the bloody thing. Oh, well... :shrug:

3. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But would that store ship it to you?

4. Kaidonni

I've no idea how the system works - maybe (and this is a big maybe) they contact the warehouse in the US to see if they have it in stock, and if they do, it gets shipped from there rather than the UK; if it's not in stock, they hold fire on it until it comes in stock. Maybe, anyway. There is an option for deliveries outside the UK, but it looks like it's in euros.

5. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you're being selective for budgetary reasons (as I've had to be), there's probably ones I'd give priority to over Voyager.

The Centaur is a pretty obscure ship, but it looks REALLY nice. It's a joy to just pick up and look at.

The Intrepid's not the most exciting ship, but they did a good job with it.

They did a really good job with the original 1701 as well, though given that the saucer is metal and the secondary hull and nacelles are so thin, it makes the model rather front-heavy, which can make it a bit awkward to hold (though the stand and base are positioned well to keep it from falling over, which is not the case with the Steamrunner).

The Defiant is a bit more bright and colorful than you'd expect a warship to be, but other than that they did a really good job with it. They did a decent job with the Equinox as well.

In terms of alien ships, I can't say enough good things about the Jem'Hadar battle cruiser, the 22nd century Klingon BoP, and the Romulan drone.

I don't have it yet, but I really want the Nebula.

Edited to add:

I also picked up the Stargazer this past week. The copy I got, at least, didn't turn out so great. If you look at it straight on from either the front or back, you can see that either the saucer or nacelles are visibly lop-sided.

6. Kaidonni

Well, Voyager is now out of stock anyway. I'm thinking of going for Excelsior, Reliant, Oberth, Original Enterprise and Intrepid - the first three especially for the Enterprise A ('cos you can't just have one or two...all four go together). The only issue with the Oberth is the windows being mis-aligned...I have to check up on reviews before I buy, don't I? It's such a great design as well. It's a tough call. I want to chip away at the ships (there are some I'm not entirely certain on, but then that's because I have so few...once you go for a theme, such as all-Fed, it feels wrong to miss certain ones out that really would complement the collection).

As for the Centaur...I'm not too hot on kit-bashes. It's a tough call, that one - for me, anyway. It's a yes and a no... I saw an image of it the other day, the original model used for DS9, and it seemed a bit horrifying with all the bits sticking out of it. I'm not entirely sure...it does have a finesse about it, a sense to its design, unlike some of the other kit-bashes (it was built for very practical reasons). But yet...not as horrifying as the Yeager class. I thought the USS Trieste was scary, but the Yeager class...yikes!

At only £7.49 a pop at the moment, budget isn't a concern. I can buy four ships for the price of three. If I get five, that's £37.50, plus the £5.95 express delivery. I'm saving £12.50 already.

I shall make my final decision this evening, before the sale ends. I might go Excelsior, Reliant, Centaur, Intrepid and Enterprise NCC-1701. There is something about the Centaur that speaks to me...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  7. t_smitts

It's hard for me to get too excited about the Reliant, just because it's been done a million times, but I've heard some really good reviews about this one. I have an Excelsior, and while it doesn't blow me away (again, probably because it's been done before), they did a decent job on it.

Kit-bash or not, the Centaur is a REALLY nice ship. They did a terrific job on it. I highly recommend it. It's one of my favorites of the ones I own.

8. Kaidonni

It has to be said...

Me: "My God, Bones, what have I done?"

McCoy: "What you always do. Edit your posts too long after making them, and when other people are replying to your original post."

There is something about the Centaur, yes. As for the Reliant, I'm not entirely hot on it either. I could hold back and just go Excelsior, Centaur, Intrepid, NCC-1701. However, it could complement the collection with the Enterprise A, as well. Or I could swap out the Reliant for the Prometheus, although it isn't my favourite ship (the twin nacelle set-up looks amazing, though).

EDIT: I think I'm going for the Intrepid, Enterprise NCC-1701, Centaur...possibly the Prometheus, not absolutely sure this time around. Skipping the Excelsior, Reliant and Oberth for now.

9. t_smitts

Don't worry about it. The Prometheus is an interesting ship, but I have one by Furuta, so I'm not in a hurry to get another. Also that weirdly low registry has always rubbed me the wrong way. It be cool if they released a version that has the proper registry (which was printed on the dedication plaque and LCARS displays) but I can't see them being motivated to do that, and it would probably piss off somebody somewhere anyway. :shrug:

I'm kind of interested in the Fortunate. I may try to get that one from eBay.

10. Kaidonni

I tend to over-think things. I'm hesitant to get non-Fed ships for fear where that might lead...yet, I do like the 22nd Century Klingon BoP and the Andorian Battlecruiser.

EDIT: Nah, I think I'll stick with a Fed/Human-only approach. It works me up thinking about non-Fed ships. I also have a nasty sense memory from last March when I caught a stomach bug and had ordered the Jem Ha'dar Fighter; now I am completely put off the idea of getting that ship (I never got the ship in the end...instead, they decided to send me a Doctor Who magazine with a figurine of the Cat people).

11. t_smitts

The Fortunate IS a human ship! :rommie:

That's a rather curious reason to dislike non-Fed ships. Admittedly, though, I think Furuta did a bit better job on the Jem'Hadar attack ship (I never liked calling it a "fighter". It's too big.), though I think Eaglmoss' Defiant is much better than the Furuta one.

The 22nd Century BoP and the Andorian are both really well done, especially the tiny details on the BoP. The Romulan drone I really like for the same reason.

12. Kaidonni

My main reason for not getting non-Fed ships is that I'd feel obligated to get certain others. Completionism. I still have a couple of hours to decide, though. I do feel that certain non-Fed ships are obligatory (Romulan Warbird for instance). I could be as selective as I am with Fed ships, and go for my favourites and ones that just feel right (I do think it'd be wrong to have the Enterprise A, but no BoP a la Kruge/Chang).

13. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

Well went ahead and ordered the Defiant plaque as that is the only piece I don't have yet. I must have lucked out during the holidays as I was able to order and receive the ISS-E and I've had it well over a month. I also ordered all the available specials during the sale at that time and saved a lot than if I had just waited for the regular subscription roll-out. Now I'll just send them the "No thanks" email whenever the D4 and Kelvin email reminders are sent.

The original Enterprise and NX-01 plaques aren't available yet (US customers), correct? Also, anyone else having a problem ordering more binders? I've been able to call Eaglemoss and have some sent in the past but the last time I did they said I had to order them through the online store. Unfortunately, they haven't had any in stock for quite a while.

I'm a completist-type collector so I'm a subscriber who will be there till the end :alienblush:. I do wish they had some more subscriber exclusive items for those of us that have kept our subscriptions going all this time.

14. Gen. Zod

Gen. Zod Lieutenant Red Shirt

Does the U.S. shop not operate out of the U.S.? All of the site banners still advertise the sale but everything is back to full price. The main page says All Star Trek ships 20% off but that's not the case. I was about to place a big order, thinking I still had time.

15. Kaidonni

Not the slightest idea, sorry. Maybe they just haven't updated the site at this point. I ordered my ships on the UK shop within a mere hour and a half of the sale ending...cut it very close indeed. I was worried it might end before midnight...

EDIT: Ooooooh...the UK shop is still displaying the ships at the sale price. Oh, wait - 31st January over here. What? I could have ordered my ships today?! I thought yesterday was... Nevermind, no harm done. Still, a bit odd that there are different end dates in the UK and US shops.

EDIT 2: You might want to contact Eaglemoss about it - it clearly states 31st January on the US store main page, as it does on the UK store. Methinks someone has pressed the wrong button and taken the ships out of the sale. Fun fact - the Xindi Aquatic Cruiser isn't discounted at all on the UK store, which seems odd when everything else in the Star Trek Starships collection is. The wonderful and bizarre world of Eaglemoss. Where are the Founders to impose order when you need them? Or the Borg to deliver us from chaos?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  16. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is correct. I do not believe that those plaques are available anywhere yet. But on that point, I could be wrong. As for the binder, I know the regular binder they were out a few months back. The Alt Binder, they never had in stock (as far as I can tell).

17. t_smitts

I've now got twenty ships with a couple more on the way, which is getting to be quite a few magazines. I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the binder.

18. 137th Gebirg

Oh yes! I couldn't survive if I had stacks of these magazines without binders to put them in. Word of warning, though - the binder is not a standard design. If you've never seen one of these before, it comes with these little plastic spikes on a sprue that you have to pop out and put in the binder spine at the top and bottom to hold the magazines in. An interesting concept and one I liked at first (even though it took a few minutes of trying to figure out how it actually worked), but if you don't have the center point of the magazine perfectly lined up when you push the spike in, you could wind up damaging the paper a little bit. This becomes particularly difficult when you're close to filling up the binder completely.

In retrospect, I think I prefer the three-ring design of the original ST Fact Files over this.

19. t_smitts

Yeah, I was at one on ebay and it did look like curious design. Good to know though.

20. 137th Gebirg

$39.95 just popped up on the CC yesterday - slightly different from the usual monthly $39.90 for two ships. I can only assume this means the Kelvin is finally on its way in the US - whoot!