Star Trek: Phase II's "The Holiest Thing" - Delayed

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by doubleohfive, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, the date was originally selected two years ago because it's a nice romance episode that ties very well into Saint Valentine's Day. The thing is, it still ties very nicely into Saint Valentine's Day--so it might make sense to select that date for all the same reasons we selected it originally in the first place. But we'll put it out as soon as possible on the date that makes sense.

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

And is a certain major genre motion picture trailer coming out in front of said major genre motion picture playing any factor in this desire to hold off?

I agree with SuperSpaceMan, you're doing yourselves no favors by pushing this even further back. If it's ready, get it out there.

3. GSchnitzer

Well, it's not ready yet. When last I heard, Jeff Bond was selecting all the musical cues. Our postproduction manager is doing a 8.1 mix of the sound for you audiophiles.

4. Nightowl1701

:sigh: Fair enough. That's all you had to say.

5. Christopher Miles

Christopher Miles Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Holiest Thing Batman!

Well- As of 12/18 there appears to be a new trailer out. Episode supposedly now coming in 2016. Hope the 8.1 mix wasn't the sole reason for the wait. I like this crew- and have a soft spot for the group, as Mr. Cawley's team was first - but it's really important to keep to some sort of schedule if one is crowdfunding. It's obviously a labor of love for those that participate- but it's also one for those that support and contribute.

So many partially done/promised episodes... Just focus on making a great one or two- we'll still be here.

It any case- I sure was glad to hear Mr. Takei again (promo)

Anyhow this version of the "Next time on Star Trek New Voyages" trailer has some new scenes, new or enhanced effects- the overall color is better- the sound is better and the rebranding back to New Voyages from Phase II now seems somewhat permanent.

For those that are interested the (Motorcycle Free!) teaser is here:

https://youtu.be/T_OCPXGdM-I

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

No motorcycle? Color me disinterested. :D

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Life support belts?!?

8. GSchnitzer

This episode teaser has been out on YouTube for two years.

We are progressing on post-production. I'm in the process of collection all our credits--generally our last step before release. We are trying to get it out by the end of the year. If we miss that target, it won't be by much.

Yes--life-support belts (of a sort). A bit more info here:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/2...-support-belts-star-trek-the-animated-series/

9. Christopher Miles

@Maurice... HAH! nice.

@Christmas

The glow (00:32 in) was reminiscent of the Animated Series- so I checked if that was what the team was going for-

Then I read this-

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/2...-support-belts-star-trek-the-animated-series/

I assume that's what you're referring to. In a pinch, I guess these would be a heck of a lot easier on the New Voyages propmaster/costumer than the Defiant ep suits. I mean, New Voyages/Continues are each in the Animated (ish) timeframe anyhow. Doesn't New Voyages also have Walking Bear?

10. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, apparently these belts create a personal force field around the body and produce a breathable atmosphere within the field, without the need for respiratory masks. I suppose it is possible that the respiratory masks as seen in NV were part of an earlier prototype to the ones used in TAS.

However as TAS is only deuterocanonical (secondary or semi canon) they were not seen hereafter in episodes and films. However, in the DS9 episode ‘Homefront’, Admiral Leyton does mention that they've been stockpiling “personal force fields”. This technology is also seen in other deutero-canon Trek such as computer games (e.g. ‘Elite Force’ and ‘Star Trek Online’) and a few of the novels.

Of course if you accept TAS as full canon then perhaps there are ways to explain its absence from later Trek episodes/films. Perhaps this experimental technology had too many flaws such as a short battery life or was susceptible to external factors. Imagine you were using a personal force field instead of an EV suit and then all of a sudden it were to malfunction!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  11. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

listen yo yo it's a sabotage

12. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I saw the Kickstarter rough cut but I look forward to the TNG bits with Carl Sheldon as Scotty (not part of that cut)! :p

13. Christopher Miles

This teaser looks a bit different. Perhaps just my imagination? Was STNV.De just messing with us or reposting the same thing? if so, please pardon my post. Anyhow - this teaser doesn't open as Phase II - it has New Voyages titling. (Didn't James Cawley announce the change here back on June 9th?) Additionally, the color seems different in some scenes, and Mr Scott's shuttle scene is in it. Finally, this is the first reference I'd seen (on film) to a 2016 release.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  14. GSchnitzer

So here's our teaser that was uploaded by our German affiliate on December 18, 2015:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_OCPXGdM-I
    [/yt]

And here's our teaser that was uploaded to YouTube (by a different German affiliate) on December 25, 2014-about a year ago:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW1nVv3RoTk[/yt]

Here's our first trailer uploaded by that same German affiliate on November 18, 2013--a year before that:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO40moGvt28
    [/yt]

Our German affiliate has tagged the file with a "Coming in 2016" comment. They don't think we'll make it by New Year's Day. They might be right; we'll see.

15. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Xon's a blueshirt now? wasn't he a yellowshirt before?

16. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

:lol:

17. GSchnitzer

Just like Spock's change from gold to blue.

At first we gave Patrick Bell a gold shirt for Xon--to match the existing screen test footage of David Gauteraux as Xon--and to make him look immediately different from Spock. But if we are going to use Xon as a science officer, it makes sense to put him in blue--and then work around keeping people from confusing him with Spock somehow.

18. Nightowl1701

It's not that tough to tell them apart. Xon's the Vulcan with the proto-mullet. :p

Of course, so far in this series we haven't really seen Xon pursue his original 70's through-line of trying to mimic human emotions (while not really feeling them), or of McCoy taking a shine to the kid and acting as a mentor to him. Having Spock be a witness to that (with his Kolinahr vacation in the not-too-distant future) would be a neat story element to pursue.

19. Christopher Miles

@GSchnitzer-

Ok. so the newer version then, (with Scott in the Shuttle) was actually out for just over one year, not two.

Ugh

Usually I couch my posts with lines like "...please pardon my post..." and so forth. I even suggested that "...perhaps they [stnv.de] were just messin' with us..." or some such.

Yes, I apparently was comparing the 2013 "Phase II" video to the 2015 "New Voyages" video (with the brand new 2016 release date). Did not see (or know about) the 2014 release version as I don't usually go to the .de site or channel. If the 2014 version was on the main (official) New Voyages page(s) and channel then I missed it. My bad.

Sigh.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  20. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

A dangerous statement I know, but, to be true to Phase 2 shouldn't there not be a Spock, as Nimoy was happy to say no thanks to P2 in the early 70's ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.