"Star Trek: Phase II" Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 23, 2008.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Fun!

I should point out that, generally, shows of the time didn't list the character names with each actor on the opening credit roll. The 3D tilt-in title also feels weirdly out of place.

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the tilt-in title should be a cheesey echo-effect instead, like the credits for Space Mutiny.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome :) :techman:

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I stole that. I don't think it's timed quite right, either. Nor, surprisingly, could I find clean generic "swoosh" effects that really sounded anything like TOS.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I wondered about that.

The most sophisticated titles of that era would have been might've been something Robert Able-esque. Certainly nothing 3D. Contemporary shows were not so sophisticated in their titling:

Logan's Run series titles
    Fantastic Journey titles
    Space: 1999 1st season titles

Also, I seriously doubt the show would ever have hit the air wit the title "Phase II". The marketing people would likely have just opted for "Star Trek 2" or something.

6. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Admiral Buzzkill

I tend to agree - as I recall from reports at the time in fanzines like Starlog, the title was never settled on.

8. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I recall the writer's guide bearing the title "Star Trek II", although I can't get my hands on my copy to be sure at the moment...

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Star Trek: The Same But Older Generation

:rommie:

10. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

and with a bit under the title that proclaims:

"Now With More Bald Chick!"

11. Admiral Buzzkill

I tweaked and re-upped this for some timing stuff on the credits and the Decker name issue and a couple of other things:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmNwQXuRySg[/yt]

12. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

I'd watch it!

One minor quibble, shouldn't Chapel be listed as Doctor Chapel? Christine Chapel makes he sound like a civilian. Same with Xon & Ilia. They should have their rank as well.

13. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

On the other hand, Leonard Nimoy was identified in the credits as "Mr. Spock," not "Commander Spock." Maybe better to highlight Xon and Ilia's alieness by using something other than their ranks--like is done for everyone else.

14. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

But Spock was referred to as Mr. Spock most of the time. Very rarely was it Commander Spock.

I can see your poit about Xon and Ilia but would like to see Chapel referred to as Doctor. After all, she worked hard for it <grin>

15. Admiral Buzzkill

She's "Christine Chapel" and they're "Xon" and "Ilia" entirely on my impulse and what you can call intuition if you like (or something less flattering if you prefer). There so often seem to be the odd characters in these credit rolls who are identified differently without explanation. They stand out from the others a bit because of that, IMAO.

There are other questions one can ask about the character IDs that have no answer, either - why do some characters have full names and others only surnames, for instance? First I thought all this stuff through, and then indulged in some studied illogic. It seems more real to me than something completely consistent that makes immediate sense would.

And of course I don't care how hard the fictional characters fictionally worked for their fictional degrees. :lol: Ranks, rank order and credentials don't have anything to do with the importance of a character to a story or a television series, and I didn't figure the credit order based on rank - I've no idea, for instance, whether Xon would rank equal with or above Chekov in the Starfleet hierarchy (did you know that Clint Eastwood is both the star and the lowest-ranking character in "Kelly's Heroes"?)

Something like that, I think. I also figured that putting them at the end of the roll was a way of featuring them a little bit more.

I thought about putting their character names in quotes as well - "Xon" and "Ilia." I don't know why; just did...and then didn't.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  16. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awesome vid :) :techman:

17. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

Me too. I absolutely love it!

18. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

19. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was fantastic! Would the series have aired with Kirk as captain or admiral?

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Captain, I'm sure.