Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet... They will open up Pi Canis for the Klingons. Primarily for the new raiding missions they get. Their way of collecting anomalies for crafting.
    I expect new cross faction weekly missions there as well once the Klingons can go there.

2. Jschleft

Jschleft Cadet Newbie

But you can buy ships from the store, don't they affect gameplay?

and it's a sad thing I can play as a borg only if I pay

3. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Yes, but they're available through ingame means also. Thus the playing field is level.

There's one that's only available through metagaming means, but purchasing it still isn't the only way to get it; you can get it by referring friends too. For it, there's the mitigating factor that BETTER ships are available through ingame means.

4. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

The borg was originally a perc for one of the pre-order options, just like my TOS connie was. So I don't mind that they've made them available to everyone. As for the ships, I had forgotten about some of those retrofit ones. But like Syber said, they are available in game too. Other then those ships, the rest are simply ship costumes. They change the look, not the performance.

5. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So Champions Online is going over to free to play with pay for C-store stuff? Presumably this is partly due to the age of the game and partly because other MMO games are starting to do the same and they can see that it does pay.

If the Champions game works out as profitable, do people think STO will follow? Dunno how it will work though - do you pay to buy powers in Champions? Somebody bought me a month's trial but I can't use it until I upgrade my graphics card. It's a new game and I cannot see them going this route for a few years unless those with lifetime subscriptions get automatic access to all pay for use items?

Should be getting a graphics card for my birthday so was going to try Champions and the STO Demo.

6. syberghost

CO is in a very different situation than STO. DC Universe Online is coming out in a few months, and it directly competes for the identical audience with a massive budget and an IP with broad appeal; most comic book superheroes fans are DC and/or Marvel fans. DCUO is also very action-oriented as CO was intended to be, and with its bigger budget and large stable of console programmers available it'll likely be better at that than CO. So CO had no choice but to do something to compare favorably to DCUO if they wish to retain their audience. DCUO won't pick up the people who prefer traditional MMO combat to action, but those people are playing City of Heroes, not Champions Online.

STO isn't, and can't really be, in that position. Sure, Star Wars: The Old Republic is coming, with all the budget etc., but Star Trek fans and Star Wars fans aren't as much overlap as comic book fans and DC fans. It's not entirely the same market. STO can hold its own and remain profitable, and it *IS* profitable currently. It won't go F2P anytime soon unless that changes.

7. Pauln6

Yeah, I agree that it's a long way off for STO but if the article is correct and the new business model leads to increased revenue for CO, then it might be something they consider for STO sooner than we think (maybe 2 years hence?). I guess we'll wait and see.

8. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think there would be a lot of pissed off lifetime subscribers if that were to happen.

9. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would agree, with a lifetime membership.

10. Pauln6

That's also why I think it wouldn't happen soon but I would also have thought that anybody who had a lifetime membership would not have to pay for most of the items that other players would have to pay for in a pay-for-use.

11. Ronald Held

Just finished this week's episode. Might I meet an Constitution class vessel nexy week?

12. STR

STR Captain Captain

If it took 2 years for it to turn over to non-sub, then you would have long gotten your money's worth out of the lifer sub.

13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm, was it a good idea to only go for the 1 year sub? :D
    Nah, I dont expect anything like this soon.
    By the way I changed my TrekBBS name to match my STO handle....

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps you might even meet ensign Bonnie-Kin too. ;):rofl:

(That was the first time something in an MMO creeped me out a bit)

15. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't say it creeped me out, since horror movies don't do that either. But I was definitely impressed. I hope next weeks is just as good.

16. Ronald Held

That was somewhat disturbing because I thought that I might have to go against a non Devidian ally.

17. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Premium Member

tried to do last weeks episode but kept getting killed by the phantasm thingy. not sure whats the best thing to kill it with before it zaps half or more of my health.
    still got to keep trying just to do this weeks one i suppose

18. syberghost

First, carry lots of Large Hypos. Not only do they restore your health, but they break the hold, which stops the drain.

Second, don't be afraid to stop shooting and wake up a boff.

Third, if you can, divide and conquer; have a boff shoot somebody then come back out the door, bringing just the ones that aggro off that first exchange.

Fourth, get the Triolic Tribble. It helps.

Fifth, if you or a boff die, when you respawn, IMMEDIATELY heal any Minor wounds. Don't let them escalate.

19. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Premium Member

thanks, managed to complete that episode and this weeks one too. Looking forwards to next weeks now

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if next week a certain starship will put in a second appearance seeing as this week's episode had its CMO in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.