Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Game is still terrible.

2. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far at commander lvl 3 that bothers me is the ship controls. I really feel like i should have total pitch/yaw/bank control and not be limitd to what you are.

Hvaeing the ability to use your RCS thrusters to bank and turn over to continue to fire seems logical.. why did they limit the movement to a 2D space so much?

the missions get really repedative, but thats any game. They can only be soo different. All in all I'm enjoying my time in the game.

3. Phily B

Wait until the "end game" lol, oh wait what end game.

What a shame a piece of shit dev like Cryptic got hold of the license. Year and a half development cycle for a MMO is a joke.

4. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

People hiting max level in 2 weeks is a joke...
    But that's just my opinion...
    :shrug:

5. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, my 30 day trail is up on the 13th. I don't think I'll be renewing. I might come back in 6 months or so if there are significant updates, but so far I'm not really happy.

The idea of a Star Trek MMO is a really good one, and the game is beautiful, graphically, but the gameplay is very repetitive and it feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over again.

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm a lay player. I am decent at the game (in that I rarely "lose"), but generally only spend an hour, maybe a little more a day, a couple days a week, and I've managed to hit Commander 1 in less than three weeks. I'm already halfway up to Commander 2 having completed one mission.

7. Phily B

You are doing the same thing over and over.

The enviroments and missions, everything is the same. The game is a waste of money, anyone who played beta knows this. Cryptic are garbage, they're going to continue to pump out MMOs with no quality.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'd say it's a 7/10 game. My subscription of 30 days expired today and I elected not to renew it (for now). I'll wait for Cryptic to build some new content before I go for the re-up. I want puzzle missions, not just the usual array of scanning and fighting (though I do like the ship combat quite a bit).

I did a lot of repeatable missions at the start, but now I want to do the unique missions (the game actually does have a passable storyline building). However, at Lt. Cdr. 7 there aren't any left. That's just frustrating.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

for me the two main aspects that make this game really good is the incredible details of the Star trek universe they incorporated. Either the Devs are reall hardcore trekkies to know all this or damn good researchers.

And the number one Reason to love this game is the community aspect. hanging out with other Trekkies, specifically the Armada members, on Starfleet ships, stations or on Andoria's icy wastelands dancing is just pure fun.
    I can spend time with you guys for a whole evening and not doing any missions at all without getting bored.

10. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

The Andorian Dance Party was pretty fun.:lol:

11. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Hey, that was 320x240 in 16 colors!!! Living on the edge...as to the repetetiveness - Starflight had a lot with the need to do mining and/or lifeform collection, but at least it was in a dynamic, mostly open universe that was there to be explored, returned to, scanned, you could land on almost any planet, etc. Every planet had its unique ecosystem, atmosphere, mineral content, and soforth.
    Modern games all too often seem to fall into the trap of using cookie-cutter mission structures, especially space games it seems. I'm recalling Freelancer and DarkStarOne, the latter of which was so cookie-cutter I couldn't play it more than 2 days.

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Name an MMO that isn't repetative. Seriously, the largest subscribed to MMO (World of Warcraft) as all 'Kill X MOBs'; 'Collect Y items" combined with 'travel from point A to Point B', etc.

One month out, WoW couldn't even keep the majority of its servers up reliably (and I'm not talking daily maintainence periods which were a fact of life for WoW players one month post lunch); with multiple crashes and rollbacks daily (and the problems were not all 'load' related.

Also, WoW didn't have a working Edgame at all until 'Onyxia' was pushed Live (about 3 months later); and the first real epic endgame WoW dungeon (Molten Core) was released, available and fully itemized with loot and encounters 6 months post launch.

IMO - at one month out STO is at least adding content fairly fast, and it listening to player feedback, and communicating pretty regularly (which is rare for ANY MMO Dev team). As for the marketing gaff - unfortunately it's my belief the Cryptic marketing staff is just plain incompotent - as this wasn't their first gaff, and probably won't be the last. Had they made the offer 3 to 6 months post launch, I doubt anyone would have batted an eye.

Anyhow as an MMO vet, I'm perfectly content to see how it develops (I bought a Lifetime - and baring any major marketing or other cathastrophe, I expect to get more than a good 17 months of Gameplay over the life of the game; and anything after that is a bonus imo). Any MMO I've liked I've usually paid for 2+ years (4 1/2 in the case of City of Heroes and 5 with EverQuest - WoW was about 3 years); so again, I figure in the long run (barring an early shutdown, which is unlikely); I'll get my money's worth from it.

If you keep up with the Dev posts, I like what direction they are taking, including:

- Adding more mission types.

- Making it so you can visit ANY star system multiple times; whether you have a mission for it or not, and if you don't you'll get one.

- Implementing a Diplomacy System

- Re-working the Memory Alpha Crafting/Upgrade system completely

and a list of other things. Now, will all that be in in a month? Hell no, a lot of it may take 6 months to a year; but (like WoW, or any other mature MMO) I think/hope STO will be able to gropw and expand. Time will tell of course, but I think it does have a good foundation. YMMV.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well said :bolian:

14. Timelord Victorious

Second.

15. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Third.

16. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

17. Timelord Victorious

Great, looking forward to the mission.
    But it says, it requires 5 captains to do it... When will you guys be promoted to Admiral again? :vulcan:

18. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uh oh...

19. mack

mack Cadet Newbie

I've been pretty pleased with the game so far. I'm able to play for a couple hours a few nights a week, so the lack of an end game hasn't been an issue for me yet (I'm currently Lt. Cmdr 8).

Sector Space is pretty disappointing. While it makes navigation simpler, I don't feel like I'm traveling at warp speed through the vast emptiness of space.

More abilities would make ground combat better, but right now I'm mashing 1 to fire my primary weapon and waiting for my bridge officers to expose enemies so I can mash 2 and vaporize them. Engineering kits do break up the monotony a bit.

I absolutely LOVE the space combat aspect of the game, the ship customization, and the bridge officers (I get attached to them like they are really part of my crew).

I do agree that Star Trek is about more than combat, but we've seen wars before (DS9) and sometimes that's inevitable. Hopefully they will add more depth to the exploration side of things in the future.

20. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

It's good that the game is being supported, and I know I'll be keeping an eye on STO over the next year or so.
    Compare that to Legacy, which got one or two patches that didn't even come close to fixing the game. This is what MMO's, and big RPG's like NWN2, have going for them: continued updates and development. I installed NWN2 the other day and it took a good hour over a cable modem to update it. At least it's been worked on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.