Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tombfyre

Tombfyre Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Give me Jeffries Tubes or give me death! ;)

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I spent all day downloading a 10GB patch before I could play it...and when thats done? I get a busy server.

I was really looking forward to this, but every time ive gone to play it so far its been one thing or another - I haven't even played one second of it yet!

4. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

5. Kaziarl

Hang in there Dac. Personally, I think it's worth it.

6. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

people keep complaining about hot pink uniforms but pink does not exist as a color selection in the uniform customizer. They took out all the bright colors before open beta.

7. Aeolusdallas

8. Kaziarl

Right, which is why the bright colored uniforms look, well, bright colored? Since I would presume the NDA doesn't matter any more, I'd be happy to take a screen shot if you'd like? The point is some of the colors that you can choose from are a little silly for a "Uniform." Anyway, it's not a big issue.

And yes, I did the PVE servers. I tried playing on a PVP server once, and someone from the other faction camped around the beginner zone waiting for new characters like me. Kind of killed the enjoyment of the game when they can do that.

9. Aeolusdallas

On PvP servers the areas where characters from level 1 to 20 are not PVP. Characters in those areas cannot be attacked by members of the opposite side unless they attack first.

10. Kaziarl

They must have changed it then, this was some time ago.

11. Aeolusdallas

It was that was from day 1. The Starter Zones and the 11 to 20 zones have always been non PVP. The only way a person can be attacked in one of their own sides low level zones is if they start the fight. Enemies cannot attack first.
    EDIT however as soon as you enter a level 20 plus zone then yeah high level guys can camp you.

12. Kaziarl

*shrugs* okie dokie, all I know was I was picking herbs and all of the sudden I was dead. And it was a character I had started on a friends account, and only played that one day. After that, I got my own copy so I doubt I was that high a level.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just keep log in spam it basically and you will get in eventually. Just before server went down was in a great fight in war at Starbase 24 had Klingon small fighters all around me (never seem class b4), I was keeping them at bay with phaser shots...Was so much fun

;) oh and warped into a system FULL OF BORG CUBES earlier :eek: I quickly left :lol:

14. Kaziarl

lol, yeah, I did that yesterday. In that moment, I was glad it was just a game. Otherwise some junior officer would be cleaning the captains chair.

15. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

This is simply not true, and you should probably try the beta before making such statements. I have NEVER gone into an action without being auto-teamed into a fleet, and I've met a lot of really cool folks who, after the battle, decided to all go on missions together. It's definitely more an MMO than not- there are people EVERYWHERE.

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I don't care, I am using part of my tax refund and getting the game and maybe a year of play...I like WoW, but from everything I have seen...STO looks more interesting to me.

17. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

I'll wait for some more reviews before deciding.

18. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

Been having fun with it so far, I will give it a fair shake once it is released maybe for a few months, maybe longer. Will certainly hold me over until Star Wars The Old Republic comes out. Wouldn't mind having more exploration and diplomacy over fighting, but I guess the former would just bore most gamers. Although, if implemented well, could be interesting.

19. LenaMarie

LenaMarie Ensign Red Shirt

I think alot of people are desperate for a new Star Trek game they'll accept anything, not to mention most Trek gamers have low expectations for Star Trek games, so I can see how some people love it as it is.

But this is really just a Star Trek skin on some generic game, and it shows.

20. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

And I think a lot of people have such unrealistic expectations that they're fixating on the wrong things. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to criticize about STO... and almost all of it stems from bugs and a lack of content. Things like uniform colors, people making silly names for their ships and the like are total non-issues. Things like lack of PvE content and meaningful gameplay for an entire faction... that's a problem. So is the repetitive-ness of many of the missions and the shallow ground combat. And none of that has anything to do with it being a Trek game or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.