Star Trek Ongoing #25 review

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Villordsutch, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Villordsutch

Villordsutch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello all I completed my review of #25 and it's posted over at Flickering Myth.

[​IMG]

Full review - http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/09/comic-book-review-star-trek-25.html

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You hang with the wrong crowds. I saw the movie in cinemas five times, each with different theatre parties of friends, and only one diehard fan seemed to have a bad reaction - to one plot point - and the non-fans had no trouble whatsoever understanding the film. In fact, one of them has since sought out the 2009 film on DVD and is interested to know what came before.

I'd like to read your whole review but only the banner of your linked website has loaded. I've given it five minutes so far. :klingon:

Okay, finally got in. Okay, excellent! Glad you liked it! Sounds great!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Indeed, the film's plot was constructed without Harrison being Khan at all, and it was only after they were confident that the story could stand on its own that they decided whether or not to have Harrison turn out to be Khan. So it can't really be called a rehash of TWOK, except for the reactor sequence, which I do feel was too blatant and contrived an homage. But people not familiar with TWOK wouldn't recognize it as an homage.

4. Villordsutch

Thank you :D

It's rather odd the reviews we see, were I read on the Khan references being a stickler others didn't.

5. Therin of Andor

As a lifelong fan of Star Trek, reviews are never a clincher for me. I'm thrilled when reviews are positive/informative, and disappointed if a critical review is harsh, but I'll still buy/see the product, no matter what. I can't imagine a time when I'm so angry/jaded about Trek that I'd refuse to acknowledge a new one. ;)

As for the cool new look for the Klingons: if you put Kor, Koloth, Kang, TMP's Klingons, Kruge, Klaa, Chang, Worf, Gowron, Martok - and this new one - in a line-up, they are all different and yet readily identifiable as Klingons.

I'm looking forward to this next batch of "Ongoing"!

6. Villordsutch

Therin of Andor - There are certain times when I would fully agree with you. Even if every review declared it to be pure pigswill I'd still go an buy it.

7. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

Sulu has a sister! Pretty cool.

8. Therin of Andor

Some of the old Gold Key comics are awful, but still highly collectible. They do have their charm. :bolian:

9. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm more amazed that Sulu didn't tell his sister to avoid wearing a redshirt.

10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed this issue a lot. Sulu's sister was a pleasant surprise. I'm glad they included her. And that the comics are adding new characters, hopefully recurring and/or supporting, in the series. I hope they continue adding more or developing some of the background characters they already have, like that Orion red shirt.

The story was good. I think they had a good grasp on Pine's Kirk. Looking forward to seeing more. The art was also good. I liked the Romulan soul patch (?).

11. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

So the alternate reality can be summed up like this: “Please address as much as possible from the prime reality, but with a twist“. Why an attack on Khitomer, of all places? Why Kor?

12. Therin of Andor

Because people keep asking, "Whatever happened to ________________ in this timeline? :devil:

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    That may be true, but while some people are asking that question it doesn't mean the writers have to answer it. Or better yet, find the right balance between fan service stuff and telling original stories. I don't mind some references but at the same time I want some freshness too. What's the point of creating a whole new alternate reality if you can't explore it beyond remixing events and characters from the prime universe?

14. Therin of Andor

Writers pitch the story they most want to tell. If their pitch is successful, they get to tell it. If the pitch fails, no matter how original it might have been, it doesn't happen. From the very beginning of the announcement of IDW's comic, we were told that most of the stories would be remakes of, or salutes to, TOS episodes. There have been a few original tales.

This one has plenty of new stuff. But mention Kor, and the reader instantly brings in a mental comparison to Kor of the other timeline. It's also a character known to DS9 fans. Make the Klingon a random new Klingon and we have none of that.

Imagine a DS9 Mirror Universe where they never run into any duplicates of the main or guest characters? What would be the point?

So you are saying the balance is wrong in this issue? Do you want us to make you a list of new and old namedrops?

Reuse a known planet and it's "Fan Service" to some readers. Create a new world and its "Planet of the Week" to others. Ban all namedrops and it's seen as Bad Robot and IDW having no respect for the parent material. Sounds like Kobayashi Maru to me.

Khitomer. Kor. Versus plenty of brand new stuff.

Plenty in this easy was fresh to me.

The b/w alternate cover is interesting, too. Essentially the same Klingon, but with rounded ears instead of points and a different style of crest piercing.

As much as people complain about the look of JJ's Klingons, this issue seemingly flew off the shelves! I'm not sure if my comic shop has cut down on stock from this issue (I can find out). My copy was in my standing order bag, as usual, and a lone b/w alternate cover was the very last copy left on the shelf - after only a day.