Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here’s How to Do It

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shaka Zulu, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here's How to Do It: One Trekkie’s Proposal

Basically put, the author wants a gay character in the next Star Trek movie, or for Mr. Sulu to come out (or even Chekov or Scott.)

Personally, although I think that the franchise needs GLBT characters, I don't think that this movie and the next one are the best places to do it; only a TV show can pull that off and have the time to do it well enough. I also think that the writer is putting way too much on the shoulders of the production team to accomplish this, simply because it's a possibly blockbuster movie based on a popular franchise.

But that's just me; does anybody else have any thoughts about this?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, if you believe the novels, there's already been at least one gay character (Lt. Hawk from ST:FC).

As for how to introduce one onscreen: Just a throwaway line and that's it. Why get more complicated than it needs to be?

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I've never cared one way or the other.

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's how I would do it in a series:
    -Introduce one main/recurring character and do not show his/her sexuality. Focus on establishing the character's personality and competence.
    -In the second season, casually mention and show that the character is in a homosexual relationship with a minor character.
    -Season 3 is the earliest point the marriage should happen and it should be a mundane affair.

Also, have gay couples in the backgrounds of scenes, like TOS did with people of color back in the day. Shoving the "accept gay/lesbian/whatever" message into people's face is more likely to backfire than change people's preconceptions.

5. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really, why even make a distinction? Can't they all be Starfleet members? I agree in the film franchise it may be too contrived feeling. A series is a different story.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're going to do that, have an actual character arc beyond "we have a token gay guy to show how politically correct we are." Otherwise it really doesn't contribute anything.

7. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if people think that because society has progressed it shouldn't be a big deal. But, that's just it. It's not a big deal anymore. That boat sailed long ago. They ought to have taken a crack at it in the early 90's when the issue was more contentious. Fortunately, society has evolved (notwithstanding the bigots tagging behind, of course). Unfortunately for Trek, it didn't take advantage when it was more relevant. Now, inserting a gay character simply because it hasn't previously would seem awfully tacky.

8. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What does it matter. So tired of this nonsense, it doesn't contribute to anything in a movie.

-Chris

9. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I like the first couple of points, but the last one ('Shoving the "accept gay/lesbian/whatever" message into people's face is more likely to backfire than change people's preconceptions') is wrong. GLBT people aren't doing that, they just want what they are as people to be normal without others objecting to it.

10. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

THIS! :rolleyes:

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every other tv series and movie in the world manages to have gay characters now without it being complicated or a debate. This makes Star Trek creatively backward and inferior to the rest of the business, in at least this one regard.

Give Chekov a boyfriend and be done with it.

12. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Well, it comes off as silly on Doctor Who when they reference it in one-liners. There's already an openly gay actor playing Spock. Do they "need" to specifically reference gay characters on screen? It all depends on how it's handled I guess. Show a guy at a bar openly flirting with men/aliens/what-have you Captain Jack style like Kirk brazenly flirting with Uhura in the first film. It would be funny if handled right.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it doesn't, except when they're being deliberately funny.

I'm sorry, do some fans even watch other movies and TV? Why is this so difficult and mysterious?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Statistically speaking, Star Trek already has a number of gay characters. They're various members of the Enterprise crew, citizens of Earth, Vulcan, Romulus, and so on, and they serve in other areas of the Federation. You just don't know it because simply being gay isn't automatically some kind of openly telegraphed behavior, but they're there.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm really weary of this threadbare and moth eaten topic.

Frankly, if Star Trek was ever socially relevant it ceased to be so before it even made it back to TV with TNG. Many 80s sitcoms touched on more social issues than Trek did.

Effectively, the gay argument in the US is OVER. National polls show that the majority of the US populace doesn't just support gay rights, a majority now support marriage equality. These are not numbers set in amber. The acceptance of gays shifted by double-digit numbers in the past decade, and this trend shows no sign of reversing. The younger generation supports gays even more broadly, so this isn't going to change any time soon. If anything, the next generation (pun intended) is going to grow up with gay people as part of day to day life in a way they've never been before, and they're going to see it as completely normal.

In light of this, Star Trek's no longer got any excuse, any more than it would if it had a lily white cast. Fan arguments that they should "take it slow" or that "it doesn't matter" are throwbacks to a bygone age that most of the nation has already said "good riddance" to.

16. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would agree with you, but I cannot. Star Trek has been showing heterosexual relationships since "The Cage". What has NOT been shown are portrayals of gay relationships in the same manner.

I have stated in the numerous other "Star Trek needs gay characters" threads that is it relatively simple to do it right.
    SCENE: Gay couple in quarters discuss their day on board ship. They are eating dinner, holding hands, having coffee or similar 'normal' activity when Red Alert sounds and Lt. Yellowshirt hugs Ensign Blueshirt, or says, "be safe, babe" as both rush to their respective stations.

No big deal, just a slice of life aboard a starship... just before the action starts.:techman:

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought gay people didn't exist in Trek?

18. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All I'm saying is that making an episode all about a certain issue is likely to alienate people because those episodes tend to be condescending and preachy. LGBT people wanting to be normal is great, writers telling people that their mental model of the world is wrong in all caps isn't.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only in the mirror universe.

20. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I would love a gay character in Star Trek, but I'd be afraid as to how they'd go about it. Making a big deal of a character coming out would be beyond corny, and I'm not sure how they'd let the audience know a character is gay without it seeming like tokenism. I think the way Sector 7 outlined would probably be the best way, but I'm not sure Star Trek could pull it off.

I certainly wouldn't want another Melora.