STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.7%
  2. A

20.7%
  3. A-

13.1%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

8.0%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

5.4%
  8. C

5.1%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

No ambiguity about the travel time. Kirk orders warp, we see the ship go to warp then Carol Marcus informs Kirk that the Vengeance will still be able to catch up and overtake them.. this takes 30 seconds. Then another 30 seconds whilst the Vengeance catches them and another 30 seconds of them firing. And they are at Earth.

Fortunately for the Enterprise, the final shot of the Vengeance that snatches them out of warp speed occurs when they are only 200,000 km from their destination. So it didn't matter that they caught up because probably 0.000001second after the critical shot the computer would've come out of warp speed anyway. Its just such shit writing it takes me right out of the movie for a moment whilst I shake my head ;) . Didn't have this issue with ST09.

2. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

I think the whole Warp speed thing is not so terrible.
    It's more like Star Wars now, which isn't a bad thing. On Star Wars they also could jump around the galaxy rather quickly. And the SW galaxy still felt big and mysterious.
    One problem is certainly that a five year mission isn't really a journey into the unexpected anymore when they can just warp (or beam) back to Earth every evening to rearm and have a few drinks.

Transwarp beaming is different though. It's hard to imagine a series without nerfing this.
    If you think about it, though, the new "SW'ish Warp" reduces the "universe-shattering" effect of transwarp beaming. Because if you can have an armed ship anywhere in minutes you may prefer that over beaming people instead (and long-range beaming might have other complications and dangers they could always introduce later).
    Loved the movie, disliked 09, STID's my fav ST movie now. Brainless and brutally fast-paced at times, but the heck. Cumberbatch and new Klings are badass.
    9/10

3. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did it take you out of First Contact when the Enterprise went from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth in a blink of an eye?

4. Flake

I agree, I understand what you are saying. I have sat through each of those episodes and movies and it has not bothered me. This time it has. I wish it didn't. Maybe my brain has blew a Trek fuse after all these years? Can't explain it.

5. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Supposedly it took nine hours or so for them to get there.

6. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, this trip was quite fast:). But I believe it is mainly because they didnĀ“t have any scenes in the crew quarters this time either. In the past, they have travelled great distances in a very short time too, but they always have had one or two scenes in the crew quarters (or ready room etc) that made you believe it takes longer time.

7. Flake

There was some ambiguity about the travel time in FC. Maybe this kept my negative brain hemisphere quiet, because its never bothered me.

The only trouble with the 9hours explanation is the reaction of the crew just after Picard orders Red Alert and Engage... its as if they are going to be fighting the Borg in a minute or so :)

8. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I couldn't care less about stuff like that really, would people really be happier if they added a minute or two of extra padding between them just to placate peoples need for warp distances? Like Kirk goes to bed and is woke up to be told the Vengenace has caught up to them? Really?!

Btw I don't remember if the Vengeance was ever called by name, Kirk said it was "an unmarked Federation vessel". Also were some lines cut? I don't remember any lines about Starfleet/Federation being about vendettas.

9. Phily B

Exactly, I didn't have the problem with it in First Contact when they went to red alert and next shot was them at Earth.

10. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Picard had his crew sitting at battle stations for nine hours?

11. Flake

When Scotty is in his shuttle next to the Borg cube space station the bridge crew turn up in their shuttles, the comm chat refers to USS Vengeance iirc.

Kirk having a nice long sleep whilst at warp toward Earth would've been lovely ;)

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All this First Contact talk reminds me one thing we're still missing.
    A blockbuster level, big budget fleet battle. With lots of starships flying around kicking each others butt.

13. Chemahkuu

Chemahkuu Admiral Admiral

Well actually there's the amount of time they're at warp, Khans conversation with Carol and McCoy, the time it takes for her to catch on, leave Sickbay, get to a turbolift, get to the bridge, enter the bridge then tell Kirk.

The Vengeance catches up on her in the Enterprise's own warp wake. Now here's the interesting thing, maybe the Enterprise was at warp under her own power for the first minute or so until the Vengeance entered her wake, the new ships advanced propulsion breakthrough altered the "warp tunnel" they're both traveling in allowing the Enterprise to actually be going much faster than normal, accelerating them both at the higher speed.

/bullshittechnobabblestuff

14. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe every time they go to warp they could have Bones call the bridge and be all, "Are we there yet?"

:rolleyes:

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

After they were all fully battle-ready, with hatches secured and whatever else they need to load up loaded, he'd've taken them down to Yellow probably, then back up again when they got there.

Never had the impression they just got there all that fast, thought it showed that the battle took hours, since the fleet was only mostly decimated by the time they arrived.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good. Starships aren't X-Wings. Their battles should be like ships at sea.

17. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I guess.

I mean, before the Battle of Endor, you had all those pilots sitting in those fighters. Who knows?

18. Phily B

The Enterprise doesn't even fire torpedoes or phasers in this movie!

19. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah.
    And as we all know there have never been any fleet battles, with large numbers of ships participating, at sea. It has always been 1on1.

20. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

:lol:Been there, done that.