STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.7%
  2. A

20.7%
  3. A-

13.1%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

8.0%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

5.4%
  8. C

5.1%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. RogueVasad

RogueVasad Lieutenant Red Shirt

To me the blood looks like a cheap cop out they tried to do their own variant on the Death scene at the end of The Wrath of Khan, decided rather then leave us wondering if this was really the end of Kirk they wanted to revive him by movie's end but then realized they had no Genesis wave to revive him so they were left scrambling for a way to bring him back.

2. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some things work for some people and not for others. As long as TPTB give me entertaining films, I'll be happy.

3. plynch

plynch Commodore Commodore

I am dropping in on p. 265 here. I apologize if this has been said. But, I viewed TWOK in the theaters and we didn't know there was going to be a III. Spock was dead. Rumors were that Nimoy was done.

In STID there is no real drama or grief, A) b/c I hadn't known this Kirk for years and now truly missed him; and B) they had telegraphed (Chekov's-gunned?) the use of magic blood earlier in the film. And we knew Chris Pine was signed for three flicks.

YMMV

4. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

Fair points. However, I don't think Kirk's death was intended to produce a sense of suspense (is he really gone? etc.). I sincerely doubt any of the filmmakers had that notion in mind. Rather, it was intended to show Kirk was willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good (in-character and in-story, Kirk has NO WAY of knowing he can or will be revived), a clear sign of his maturation as a character. Whether that worked for any one viewer in particular is a separate issue. But I don't think anyone can reasonably argue otherwise regarding the intent of having Kirk die at that moment in the film. His choice was a test of character (his own version of the Kobayashi Maru, if you will). For me, it worked as intended. YMMV

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Commodore Commodore

What? You didn't know? I see "Zombie Outbreak Response Vehicles" all over the place.

Indeed. Kirk's behavior and choice, not whether or not he survived, is the point of scene and character's arc. I'll completely grant that I find this Kirk as interesting and engaging as Prime Kirk and want to see him continue to grow.

The death scene made have been telegraphed, but so what? The whole point of a Chekov's gun is to provide a measure of foreshadowing in the film that indicates to the audience the theme of the film.

As Ovation pointed out, in the film, Kirk had no way of knowing he was going to survive, and decided to it any way. He charged in, fixed the problem and sacrificed himself for his crew. Rather than cheating death, he embraced it.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Are we still talking about this?? lol

Actually the genetically engineered (nanotech??) blood seems more possible to me than reviving people from the dead epic-ally with proto-matter and then magically reinserting their souls. STID has prime trek beat on those points.

9. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

In this case, Chekhov. :)

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Commodore Commodore

Thank you for the correction :techman: