STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.7%
  2. A

20.7%
  3. A-

13.1%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

8.0%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

5.4%
  8. C

5.1%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

This is very similar to how I feel. An example of one thing that has really grown on me is the music. In the theater I more or less disliked everything about the TWOK-lite reactor scene, especially the Quinto Khan scream, but now I really like the music that's playing as Kirk goes into the reactor.

2. Midshipman

Midshipman Cadet Newbie

I admit to a certain feeling of "really?" when he says "My name is Khan."

It passes after a while. You just can't hate a movie about Kirk vs. Khan.

I say this movie gets a pass just for being about Khan. It makes me want to watch Star Trek II again.

3. publiusr

publiusr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Vengeance is my favorite trek ship now.

4. Uhurock

Uhurock Ensign Red Shirt

It's funny, my rating was A+ the first time I saw it. With subsequent viewings I began to feel kinda jerked around: here'e your moment of a) Zen. b) emotion. c) discussion. d) discussion with contentious McCoy and Snarky Spock. e) Kirk diving thru space. f) Kirk getting laid. g) Kirk getting the crap beat out of him. h) Ditto. i) Ditto. j) romance. k) couple moments in a coupla moments with Spock and Uhura. j) Big Emotion. Here's your Enterprise Rising Out of a) ocean b) clouds. Here's your moment of Kirk hanging off a) catwalk in Engineering b) Warp Core thingy above thingy Kirk has to kick.Oh yeah and let's not forget the head-squishin' kidney-kickin' leg-breakin' action superstar Khan, which, WHY. Couldn't he have been Captain Garth, disillusioned by the existence of Section 31? Ugh.

This Khan plot is [sadly] probably going to evolve further in the next movie. It's too bad.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because nobody outside of trek fans knows who the hell Garth is.

6. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

It was quite puzzling given that ST09 did perfectly fine with an original villain... or at least a non-name recognition villain. And the international market surely wouldn't have cared whether it was Khan or not. (Spock doing the Khan scream was pretty funny, though.)

7. Franklin

Franklin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look, it didn't have to be Khan. Although if I remember right, Khan's tube started to thaw on its own in "Space Seed" (since he was the leader). So that probably happened when Khan was discovered in the new universe, too. Of course, Marcus could have thawed out someone called Timothy Wilberforce Lucas, the augmented ruler of the British Commonwealth in 1996, for all it mattered. The story could've been the same. (And it would've allowed a great line of its own. In the brig, instead of Cumberbatch ending his story by saying, "My name is, Khan." He could've said, "There are some who call me, Tim.")

The fun was it was Khan. That's all. And to the extent it did add some publicity, that didn't hurt. (I'm sorry, the secret that it wasn't Khan wasn't that secret -- Abrams and his people are better than that.) It creates some nice symmetry, too. It means that in both universes, Khan was the catalyst that allowed Kirk to turn himself around at a critical point in his life. In both universes, Kirk needed Khan.

So, Timothy Wilberforce Lucas, or Khan? It was basically one nice, big, blatant Easter Egg, even if not all fans could appreciate it.

8. BigJake

:lol: Love it.

9. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Well, they do say:

TFF is too easy a target, though, and the Wired piece seems to acknowledge it by taking only a half-hearted bash in commemoration of the 25-year anniversary. In spite of all its problems and the sharp turn to WTFery, I think I ultimately found that movie less disappointing than I did either TUC or Generations.

11. The Stig

The Stig Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TFF has a sense of fun and the best Kirk-Spock-McCoy interactions of all the films. On the flip side it has terrible FX and doesn't make a lick of sense. It's kinda like the Season 3 of Trek films. ;)

12. BigJake

TFF is the only Star Trek film I found literally unwatchable. I've still never made it all the way through, every second is just that cringe-worthy; nothing since comes remotely close.

13. BillJ

Star Trek: Insurrection is the only one of the twelve movies I find unwatchable. The rest are anywhere from passable to downright good.

14. BigJake

^ Maybe it depends on how nauseating one finds INS on the cutesy-humor front.

15. johnjm22

johnjm22 Commander Red Shirt

There's just something about watching the original cast together that I really enjoy; even if it's in a bad movie like TFF. To me, the cast, and their chemistry, makes TFF watchable. I think it's better than any of the TNG movies and certainly better than STID.

While TFF wasn't good, I do think its short comings were exaggerated. It's the 6th or 7th best Star Trek movie ever made.

16. Uhurock

Uhurock Ensign Red Shirt

Speaking of cutesy humor in ST movies, "Row, row, row your boat" was the nadir. Absolute worst ever. Cringe-in-the-movie-theatre bad.

17. The Stig

The Stig Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was charming. These three old coots love each other, in their own ways.

18. Franklin

Franklin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. You gotta cut them some slack. I think there was some alcohol involved, too. The moments around the campfire were touching. All three know they only have each other, and they're just fine with it. It could be a such a melancholy moment. They could come across as three lonely guys who gave their lives to service. But it's not that way. They are happy and satisfied with each other.

Frankly, I'd watch Kirk, Spock, and McCoy paint a room together.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  19. johnjm22

johnjm22 Commander Red Shirt

20. BillJ