STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.7%
  2. A

20.7%
  3. A-

13.1%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

8.0%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

5.4%
  8. C

5.1%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    What, specifically ?

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I haven't watched the end of TSFS in many years.

When Scotty says, "That or nothing," my finger just automatically presses stop.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Seriously? TSFS is probably my second favorite TOS movie behind TWOK. I get the criticism of the fairly one-dimensional villains and fake Genesis planet, but the movie still has such an incredible atmosphere and sense of romance about it. The story is simple but compelling, it's got a ton of fun character moments, and it's got freakin Christopher LLoyd as a Klingon.

I seriously don't understand why fans have such a problem with it.

4. Ríu ríu chíu

Ríu ríu chíu Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
    I thought ST III was great. I had never seen Taxi so that was my first time seeing Christopher Lloyd, and I thought he owned the role of Kruge.

And not only that, but John Larroquette as a Klingon as well. How cool is that? :D

(One of my favorite bits in the whole film, actually, is when Kirk first finds out that David is dead and he just sort of staggers back against the command chair. I don't think I've ever seen Kirk more defeated than that.)

5. Fruitcake

Fruitcake Fleet Admiral Admiral

TSFS is almost unwatchable for me, but I watch it anyway. Godawful IMO but still full of Trek lore. And I will always enjoy seeing the TOS characters in the films.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not THAT bad. :vulcan:

It had nice moments. Some decent visuals too, especially the space dock scenes.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The Bird of Prey never seemed more menacing than it did in that movie.

8. Fruitcake

Fruitcake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last night my dreams all had the piano music from STID in the background of them.

... such a haunting piece

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYcxIFBSCE[/yt]

9. T'Grinch

T'Grinch Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I loved STIII.

10. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc81Un8ltS4[/yt]

11. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been thinking. I would've liked it better if Kirk had been learning all this time (end of the first movie to this one), was first officer, and then Pike dies. Nero puts him on the Enterprise. I think the emotional beats of having to go against Admiral Marcus (a father-type figure), of having to decipher whether to trust Harrison or not, I think it all works better if he hasn't tasted the chair yet. It felt like it was 5 minutes between being busted down to the Academy before he was Captain again. And that's what was playing in my head during Pike's dress-down. I think they screwed up with the ending of '09.

Just an idea.

12. Franklin

Franklin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That scene (last couple minutes of the movie) got two great laughs in the theater. The first was when McCoy pointed to his head. The second was when Spock raised his eyebrow.

I thought it was OK. The captain of the Excelsior was made to be too much the preening fool. Things were sometimes too easy for our heroes. They never really seemed to be in real danger. But this is hardly the only Trek movie with quibbles.

This was the first real ensemble Trek movie where everyone had something important to do and good character moments, too, a story format all Trek movies (TOS and TNG) followed after that.

13. Belz...

Belz... Commodore Commodore

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And yet he has the best alternative to "ahead warp factor X" and "engage !" : EXECUTE !

14. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

TSFS had really great character moments and all the crew got something to do and showed they really cared about each other and Spock. The Enterprise got blown up and McCoy says that great line whilst stood on a mountain watching the ashes of the Enterprise streak across the sky...

Spacedock escape, Kirk vs Kruge in the midst of a disintegrating planet. The Klingons murdering David, Pon Farr!, Self Destruct sequence. Vulcan scenes, the Excelsior, Grissom, BoP. So much was added to the Trek universe. Its great!

15. The Naughty List

The Naughty List Working the Pole Moderator

[​IMG]

I'm sending you all to the Federation Funny Farm. I love STIII. :(

;)

16. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

Yeah, STIII had some great moments going for it.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: You guys are killing me!

Yes, it did. It truly did.

But the same can be true of every Star Trek movie. Even Nemesis, which had Dina Meyer.

18. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

It did have Chekhov's very stylish ensemble. :shifty:

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Hey, I think the first 90 minutes of TSFS are great. I even like Reverend Emmitt Lloyd as a Klingon. I just think the end sequence was in a major need of a re-edit. Honestly, I think Lenny could have could have cut a good five minutes out of it without losing anything while greatly improving the pacing.

And please, don't call me tiny.

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

He did already, at least a couple minutes anyway, that's how it got down to release length.

There was a procession with Spock being carried up the mountain past all these Vulcan extras (Takei got to play one of them) and through the Vulcan Hall of Mystic Bullshit where the art department erected large photographic cutouts of the heads of famous Vulcans.

(I'm sure it must have looked better than it sounds. Well, not entirely sure. Some of the snow covered cactus on Genesis looks like somebody just inverted a tripod or light stand and then threw a fuzzy white blanket over it. SERIOUS art department cheap-outs and creative failures on this one.)