STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies XI+' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.7%
  2. A

20.7%
  3. A-

13.1%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

8.0%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

5.4%
  8. C

5.1%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

No, it was genius-level savagery he wanted to exploit. More like asking a Roman to help you sever a head.

But Kirk sacrificed himself to save his crew???

Oh sure, that was bad. The way it just sat there in the front of frame, waiting to be discovered. Definitely one for the slow learners.

Many reasons, all exhaustively debated across social media.

42 times! And you say you don't like repetition? ;) Personally I liked the new things (and the familiar things) the twist said about the characters -- but yeah, on first viewing the repeated dialogue was distracting.

As much as I love TWOK, I always found those scenes sad but somehow stilted, repressed... almost too formal. It may be sacrilege, but I actually prefer this version.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had such an unsatisfying experience, but appreciate your polite efforts to detail your criticisms.

2. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

Holy sweet mother of the Santa Maria's left booby, this movie was great! I managed to absorb the whole movie in one showing, but it will take time to process all of it. Still, a fantastic effort, and a worthy sequel to the first movie.

Also, Scotty's running down the long gangway, and then you can hear him out of breath and complaining. :lol:

The humor was toned down a bit this time around, but they did a fantastic job keeping the tight moments tight, the dark moments dark, and the funny moments truly funny. All in all, a great job, I gave it an A+. I was impressed.

3. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And like others have said, this was the first movie where I was actually terrified by the Klingons. I love the new look.

4. Coloratura

Oh, yes! The Klingon who took his helmet off nearly scared me shitless at first! I was thinking, "I do NOT want to mess with these guys!"

So well done. I'm really hoping for a costume/set design award or two this year for the movie. I mean, everything was so tightly put together, I believed I was looking right into the 23rd century. It felt that real to me.

Also, hooray, we got to see more of earth in the future! :D

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

why were there floating beds?! is that also because of nero?!

fuck you jj abrams

6. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This does not sound interesting. Call me whatever you want, but Star Trek used to be original. Now, it's a greatest hits where it steps on lines from other films?!? I am seriously thinking about sitting this one out, my first skipped Star Trek movie since I was 7 and VI was over my head.

7. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are maybe a total of 3 minutes that could be considered a "re-hash." The Re-Hash claim is GREATLY exaggerated. You would be doing yourself a complete disservice to "sit it out" simply because a couple of people wanted to be melodramatic. See it for yourself and make up your own mind.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no Shakespeare in this one so you might find it easier to understand.

9. HaventGotALife

So Khan's not in the movie?

10. Coloratura

It doesn't matter. You've already decided to dislike it. If you go see it now, you'll just walk away angry. Wait for the DVD release.

Me, I went in completely unspoiled, and I loved it.

11. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reusing a character does not a rehash make... again, you're an individual, make up your own mind when you SEE it and have an informed opinion.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And why do Kirk and Spock look different?

13. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I have this question to ask. In our contemporary world, when the nation's capital is put on alert, there is an increased emphasis on the air traffic routes being monitored and suspicious aircraft are immediately tagged and interceptors are sent. In the film, I would presuppose that San Francisco and Paris and other major cities with Federation buildings are placed on alert and there is an increase in vigilance. So, is it explained in the movie how Khan was able to pilot a gunship that close to the conference room in an effort at assassinating several members of Starfleet?

14. Coloratura

Yes. It was ordered by Admiral Marcus, and he being such as he is, can order that airspace cleared, or for things to be conveniently ignored.

15. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

They probably don't expect him to do it, nor expect him to be able to commandeer a gunship. I don't really think it's important how he did it to be honest, from what we've seen of him in these films he is more than capable.

As far as I know, terrorism isn't a fact of life on Earth and the Federation. I mean it was a huge deal in DS9 when that changeling blew up that meeting and they started putting Starfleet security on the streets.

I don't think it was ordered by Marcus, Khan had gone rogue already.

16. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Absolutely. The Klingon redesign was terrifying. Less Ming the Merciless of TOS and TAS; and not so much member of 80s thrash metal band (TMP, TNG, etc); more terrifying Uruk Hai sized colossus. These guys looked like you did NOT wanna mess with them. All the more impressive then, when Khan/Harrison wipes the floor with them.

And yes, it was good to see Earth in the future, something we haven't seen much of in previous Trek movies and TV shows.

17. Coloratura

Agreed, and just to reiterate, I loved that Klingon design. It was actually scary. The Klingons looked like the predator warriors that they were. Also, Uhura speaking Klingon right to the Klingon's face? Badassery.

18. HaventGotALife

Yeah, you're right. I just had a moment of doubt.

19. Coloratura

Just remember, that if you go in expecting to dislike it, you probably will, as a more critical eye will tear apart any film, no matter how well made.

20. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Starfleet may not have experienced terrorism in its history. (This is uncertain.) However, Starfleet has had to deal with threats. I would think that protocols would be in place to protect high ranking officers during a crisis. And, I would think that common sense would dictate that the meeting would be held in a secured facility that was protected by whatever defenses a 23rd century security apparatus could muster.

I am biased before seeing a movie. I watched the news and I read history. So, I have expectations before I see a movie, and, when those expectations are contravened, I am dubious of what I see in a movie. When 9-11 occurred, there was a meeting convened in a secured facility to discuss the crisis and its aftermath. I would expect Starfleet to do likewise.