STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are MANY women.. and their cousins. And their sisters. And their moms.

2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Apparently not.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. teacake

:guffaw:

I know most disagree but I always thought TWOK was clunky and over rated.

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

Oh Good God I'll take Shatner-Nimoy-Kelly any day over any of these new actors, i like how the originals are being marginlized now.

6. teacake

Marginalized?

Yeah you are so right, Shatner should have starred in this film.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

TWOK is a brilliant film, within limits. It's probably the only Trek film of the 1979-1992 period other than possibly ST 4 that's really remembered by non-trekkies. I think the script, the direction and the production design all maximize the very circumscribed resources with which it was made - and it's for that reason as much as any other that it comes closest of any of them to representing the essence of the original TV series.

You go right ahead and do that. :cool:

8. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Shatner? Maybe. But he's the Shat he'll survive it.
    Nimoy? Since Spock Prime was essential to the resolution of the movie, not so much.
    Kelley? Considering how much Carl Urban was channeling him in STiD I think he is smiling in whatever place he is now.

9. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Dennis:

:lol: I know, right? You think YOU were surprised? So was I!

I may have to turn in my cynic card now...

Agent Richard07:

- I hated Kirk last movie. The death scene made me cry (also cried when they killed off Pike...BASTARDS....he was so friggin' hot. :( )

- Um, er, I missed that. My husband said he knew, but I was going, "They can't kill off Kirk, can they? There's another movie, right?"

I loved McCoy. He's just as good as the original and I'm a big fan of DeForest Kelley.

How the fuck did I miss a Mudd reference? FUCK...where was it?

10. teacake

I find TWOK clunky and erratic.

I do of course own it and have seen it at least 20 times. And I do prefer Montalban to Cumberbatch in the role but that is 100% on the writers not the acting. Give Cumberbatch more development, more to do! Hopefully we get that next time around.

11. teacake

I will be interested to know if you find Kirk in 09 more appealing after this one. And yeah Pike was SO HOT ! I was really enjoying just staring at him.
    I actually did wonder if they were going to do it for reals, if this was XII's Vulcan. It upset me.

12. Jolaris

Yeah, I don't think I ever cried to a Star Trek movie before, and one second later I was laughing out loud. :guffaw:

They got hold of that freighter they used to get onto Qo'nos during "The Mudd Incident", it was just before he talked to Mr. Cupcake if I am not mistaken.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Sulu has a voice-over ordering the crew to prepare "the cargo vessel left aboard after the Mudd incident" for Kirk, Spock and Uhura's use to go after Khan on Kronos.

The Countdown To Darkness comic claims that it belonged to another Mudd, but that's not part of onscreen canon and can be ignored.

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Yeah, as they're walking down and just before they talk to cupcake they say something about the mudd incident, I missed it too first time.

15. teacake

Why the heck would they have it be another Mudd?

Also Cupcake has lost a lot of weight.

16. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

Solid A. The characterizations were pitch perfect. Though I would have preferred it not to be a Khan story, I did like how they did it and they did it well.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

I think that Khan's speech in his cell describing how Marcus used threats to his "family" to control him was stronger, more human dramatic material to work with than all the "beloved wife" and Melville-quoting "from Hell's heart I stab at thee!" that Montalban was given to chew on.

18. Jolaris

I haven't read the comic so I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that it was Mudd's daughter?

19. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I really like how they sort of make Khan understandable and likeable that you forget he is a genocidal maniac until Old Spock reminds you of it haha..

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I also recall someone mentioning that an early draft of the Wrath of Khan script had Janet Wallace in what would eventually be revised to become the Carol Marcus part.