STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Only problem is he would not be dead. Do we want them to pull a Terminator: Salvation in a future film?

Better to say they failed to revive Khan and he died. Didn't the unit initially malfunction. Maybe because Scotty was not there, Khan died.

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Yeah, no doubt about it, this would've happened. I am not saying they made the right or wrong decision. It would've been better >for me< if he was just John Harrison rather than Khan :borg:

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I'm just making light of people never being happy :p

I know what you mean, but if you look at it from the point of view of the audience, Khan is a pretty famous villain and doesn't really require much explanation. We can watch Space Seed, TWOK or read the Eugenics War book for more.

4. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

What a conundrum of a film:

• Beautiful to look at - set design, world building, cast

• Well staged action

• Fun, entertaining leads

• A hint of something grander to come

But gutted by

• A plot that moves so fast little time is left to breathe and ENJOY those leads
    • A villain who really has no more complex a motive or audience investment than either Nero or Soran and is played as a snarling aloof viper rather than a man of intellect and power
    • Replays of similar themes and plot points from Wrath of Khan, but without any of the heart, sacrifice or weight of the '82 film
    • A horrid, terribly telegraphed "revival" that feels cheap and, linked in with the above, feels there soley to pander to old Trekkies, hence showing no signs of imagination or thought to the fanbase
    A few people, including many critics, have said that the writing is the weak point on the film, and frankly the writing is at least 50% of a film. JJ is a highly capable director, but Orci and Kurtzman (outside of TV at least) have so far produced very weak, threadbare movie scripts that have only worked (if at all) thanks to a cohesive directors vision. But they can't be lumped with all the negativity - it was a group "Bad Robot" effort after all with Lindelof assisting.

JJ needs to drop the pair and let them produce their own material solo, and I am now eternally grateful that Michael Arndt is on script duties on the new Star Wars. I have no idea if he is going to produce a good story/script, but it will be interesting to see JJ playing with somone else - so to speak.

STiD - 5/10
    ST '09 - 5/10

Hugo - Is still glad he saw it on the big screen regardless of the disappointment. It was very pretty to look at

5. Phily B

I didn't really see a lot of replays from TWoK, I mean facing a no win scenario is carrying on from 09 and the main theme appeared to be about family. I have said though I agree it probably moved at such a break neck speed, which I don't think is a particularly bad thing but it means they can't expand on any of the social or political points they try to make, they just pass you by.

6. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

Best. Comeback. EVAH!

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure if serious.

8. Flake

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 1982:
    Spock lays dying in the Engine Room after saving the ship whilst Kirk is unaware on the bridge, McCoy signals the bridge and says: 'Better get down here, better hurry'

Star Trek Into Darkness, 2013:
    Kirk lays dying in the Engine Room after saving the ship whilst Spock is unaware on the bridge, Scotty signals the bridge and says: 'Better get down here, better hurry'

Its so blatantly a replay of TWOK that even the dialogue is the same! Just certain roles have been swapped around and then theres the whole glass thing going on and again a different character screaming 'KHAAAAAAAAAAN!'

I just don't know what the scriptwriters were thinking when they came up with this? I assume they were high when these pages got written?

I think it would have worked perfectly well for me if I had not seen TWOK 500 times over 20 years but nevermind... I will get used to it I suppose! But FFS writers, please don't try this shit again because my brain will explode next time.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thats a ten minute scene in a 2-hour-ten movie. Other than the inclusion of Kahn, it's a totally different story to either Space Seed or Wrath of Khan.

10. Flake

Yeah I know

But

WHYYYYYYYYYYY? ORCCCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next movie I expect Kirk will kick the villain off a ledge screaming 'I. HAVE HAD. ENOUGH OF. YOUUUU!!!' and it'll be a Klingon! Just wait and see ! ;)

11. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the rehashed scenes were meant to be funny - I laughed so hard I was embarrassing. I hope they weren't meant to be taken seriously by fans of the original. That would be a bit sad... Although first timers might enjoy them I feel sorry for them if they then to go on to watch TWoK since that scene played much better.

I did enjoy Kirk's journey in the movie but I'm unconvinced that he's learned much of a lesson. He still only saved the ship due to luck.

12. Flake

First timers, people who have only seen the reboot and people who have not seen twok will absolutely love the warp core scene!

They will also (hopefully) check out the old movies after this one and like what they see. These new movies are still the best thing to happen to Trek because it gets more people onboard who may never have bothered before and CBS/Paramount get the cash :)

13. Phily B

Plural, there was one big reversed one. The rest wasn't really a rehash.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

When a character sacrifices his life for his crew and you say he hasn't learned anything, it's time to accept that nothing will ever be enough for you.

15. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I think Kirk learnt to vet all reports before they were sent to command.
    I don't think he learnt anything about the PD though. This was sort of how the PD ran in TOS though. They were allowed to save doomed races - not this idiocy that rolled on in the later series.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The concessions are where most of the money the theater makes comes from. They're often around 85-90% profit. While the percentage varies from movie to movie, the studios get the lion's share of ticket sale profits, especially early in a film's theatrical run when they're still paying off production and promotional costs. If it weren't for the concessions, movie theaters and chains wouldn't be able to operate, and even with them, they frequently go out of business or change hands in buy outs or mergers.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen it and have only one question:

Ricardo who?

18. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Montalban

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Holy fuck.

20. Phily B