Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, May 15, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's very possible that a Kindle version will come out. The Jedi Path got an e-book release earlier this year with additional content that was added to it, including a touch sensitive map of the galaxy, and schematics, along with an animated Lightsaber lesson.

I finally got a chance to read this last month and finished it in a couple of days. Absolutely surpassed my expectations, I loved this. I borrowed a copy from my friend, and I'll be getting the regular version when it's out.

2. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can run with this, actually!

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

C6 "Seasick" Yellow... :lol:

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was about to say that that's really groovy, but it's only a savings of a dollar against the hardback! :scream:

5. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I had a look at it the other day in a bookstore like what i saw so i ordered one and getting it in a few days.

6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Cool! I'd like to know what you think about when you have it.

In wonder how many and which NX-class vessels are mentioned in there?

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Books a million won't carry it.

8. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Got my copy of star trek federation the first 150 years.

9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I just got a copy for my birthday. It looks quite impressive, though there's no way I'd ever have paid that much for it. I look forward to reading through it.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Still waiting for a Kindle version of the book... :scream:

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

And many people are still waiting for the hard copies of several, quiet old now novels!

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ This is true.

I wouldn't even be asking this if I didn't see that the 'core' of this release - the actual book itself, as opposed to all the extras that come with it - is also being offered as a standalone release (not due out until this fall). That's what piqued my Kindle interest.

13. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

It is completely worth reading, this book is a must for the Star Trek fan, especially since CBS has called it canon

14. Mr. Laser Beam

^ They have?

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Huh? Since when?

16. Enterpriserules

When I talked to David on our show that is what he said. Here is the link to the show

17. Christopher

^Could you provide an exact quote, please? It's a 90-minute podcast and I'm just asking about one statement. As you've described it, it doesn't make sense. CBS doesn't have some office that defines what is canon. That's the purview of whoever's currently creating new Trek content, which is currently J.J. Abrams and his team. CBS's licensing department makes sure that tie-ins are consistent with canon, but the canon is defined as what's onscreen.

18. Enterpriserules

I'd have to go back and listen myself, but he said that it's canon till someone overwrites it on film. Obviously film is always the foundation but that this was meant to give the background and history of the Federation.

19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It starts about the 71:20 minute mark, and what he actually said was that they told him that "it was "canon" until somebody films something that says it not". Listening to what he says afterwards I'm kind of wondering if Goodman even is aware what canon actually is, since if you use his requirements (published/licensed by the producer of Star Trek (CBS) and not contradicting on-screen stuff) almost every novel is canon. :vulcan:

20. Christopher

So really, aside from his choice of words, he's not saying anything about this book that isn't equally true of every other tie-in.

After all, The First 150 Years contradicts Pocket's post-ENT novels which predated it; yet my Rise of the Federation novels are consistent with those novels and nobody told me that I had to ignore them and be consistent with TF150Y instead. And tie-ins always have to be consistent with canon. Therefore, TF150Y is not canon.