Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

Yeah I do think his role was diminished greatly in STID, He got more story in the first film but Into Darkness was a Kirk and Spock movie. most characters got diminished and had less focus in STID so if the rumours are true that beyond will be more like an ensemble , its a nice change.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. That contrast might have been what Urban meant, because in terms of screen time, I thought his role in STID was marginally larger than in ST09. Except in STID, he was on screen more as a plot device than anything else (see McCoy escape the natives in a careless merry romp; see him analyze Khan's blood to find out what makes Khan tick; see his steady surgical hands disarm a missile; and so on). Maybe he wanted assurances McCoy would have more pure character moments in STB.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  3. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I don't know... maybe it's because it's the 50th anniversary of the franchise, and a lot of old Trek fans, on screen and off, are excited to celebrate it?

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'm warming to them.

We see the "photon torpedo" prop from into Darkness used as an escape pod--not just for suspended animation

The weapons that slag the JJprise looks like a cross between Narada's missiles and these things: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Drone_weapon

It also reminds me of the Suliban cell- and Swarm ships: http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200303/voy-149-the-swarm-pursues-voya/320x240.jpg

Mixed with a little of Yondu Udonta's arrow like thing from the movie Guardians of the Galaxy.

Multiple strike capability. You don't see a lot of that. Mostly--projectiles just 'splode!

The fisheye effect makes me wonder if this space station YORKTOWN is some type of subspace catapault--a larger version of whatever fired this http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/the-emissary-warp-9-probe.219640/

The only thing that miffs me is that--if this is a subspace catapult--then the Enterprise needs to be in the tube like effect we saw in the 2009 pre/boot. Separate from the universe, rather like hyperspace tubes from Star Wars.

Now THIS effect from BEYOND--this is what the ships OWN warp drive should look like. You can see the ship--you can actually see a space warp (patterns can be FTL--like on giant marquee signs, say).

So this is what an un-aided starship should look like at speed.

From this effect, you can do passive studies as you are flying by a system and not be cut off from observing.

Coming out of a tube--that was when the 2009 Enterprise popped out and almost hit starfleet wrecks.

So the warp effects need to be reversed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Amaris, DaddlerTheDalek and Firebird like this.
  6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

only six weeks left. looking forward to this movie all summer.

DaddlerTheDalek and RAMA like this.
  7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

KennyB likes this.
  8. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Been a pretty disappointing summer so far, what is left after Beyond? Only movie I've seen and enjoyed so far as been Civil War.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Independence Day 2?

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  10. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

SUICIDE SQUAD!!!! Looks great!

DaddlerTheDalek, Kor and BillJ like this.
  11. Phily B

I'm gonna see it, but to say I'm looking forward to it would be untrue. Looks like a complete mess.

12. Phily B

From the studio that brought us Man of Steel and BvS? I'm out :P

STEPhon IT likes this.
  13. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heh heh!
    Go to Reddit's DCEU sub and say that, you'll be crucified. :p
    On point: yes this has been a lacluster summer, given TMNT and X-Men both kinda flopped.
    Only good movie was Civil War.
    Hopefully STB really, really stands out in this sea of mediocrity of 2016 Summer.
    Can't believe only thing now am excited about are STB and ID4:R.

14. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

Understood but all reports are they got this one right!!

Different director than BvS n Man of Steel guy

15. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

What about the new Jason Bourne movie?

16. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only new movies I am looking forward to this year are Star Trek Beyond and Suicide Squad.

The problem is these two paragraphs are unrelated. I don't think anyone thought the prominence or otherwise of McCoy was one of STID's crucial issues. Not compared to NuKhan, "KHAN!" and Angry Spock.

Looking at the transcripts, McCoy had 78 lines in ST09, and a mere 63 in STID. That's 15 whole lines that were stolen from him! Never mind that he featured in the opening action sequence, the Khan interrogation scene, and the bomb disposal scene, and (thanks to his ingenuity) was THE GUY WHO SAVED KIRK'S LIFE at the end of the movie.

In the original TOS movies, McCoy's number of lines per film were: 42, 54, 38, 68, 82, 59.
    This validates my assertion that McCoy was no more underused in STID than in the original movies.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Malaika likes this.
  17. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read in IMdB Cast & Crew
    [​IMG] Chuka Ekweogwu ...
    FBI Agent

That's odd. I think they got mixed up

18. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

who is insulting here? If they publicity say something, it's only natural that people will comment and that's what I did. The fact I have a less positive perception than you doesn't mean I'm insulting them.

You say I hold them to unreasonable standards but I do not. It's precisely because they are human beings that they are not infallible and perfect and this means, you know, they might be contradictory and hypocritical TOO. You seem to be the one who holds them to higher standards and thus insists that everything gonna be perfect and there must be reasons to use to justify him at any cost, as if there is no chance he could simply be contradictory like people can be sometimes.
    The thing remains, though, that I read someone who firstly said A and then said B at convenient time and I didn't like it and it came across as incoherent and hypocritical to me. But I don't pretend to be Freud here..

That said, Karl is surely not the worst here. Pegg is much worse because he literally attacked the fans who didn't like stid but now that he is in the writing team he is like 'well, I agree with them I had issues with stid' like you gotta be kidding me. (And I disagree with the haters!)

Orci is out. He said it. He is a producer only in name and he is giving away his trek books and stuff. He's done with trek as a writer and had no input in this movie. And JJ already admitted himself that the movie had problems (he is way too hard on himself if you ask me), something I bet Urban was able to be aware of. So brave Karl wasn't taking any risk to make enemies here^, lol

Have you ever read Tumblr?

I made one comment here, I'm not spamming the whole internet with rants about what Urban said and trying to damage his image or something like that. Good grief guys!

That sounds like one of those 'real trek fan(TM) vs not real trek fans who like the reboot' argument.

The fans of the reboot are both old trek fans and new ones. I really don't see any logic in ignoring the fans who are, actually, the real audience of these movies that made them successful, in order to pander to an audience that is wanking about these movies since 2009, and ruining the party for people on the internet that 'dare' to like this trek.
    50th anniversary or not, I think, if anything, all the fans deserve respect and consideration and the reboot owes nothing to tos purists who will never like or accept the reboot, regardless.

Some people deem Urban as the one cast member who "gets it" but to me, he is the one who is the most disconnected from the purpose the reboot had (originally at least) and this in part could be the source of his disappointment, not to mention the source of some trek fans' ongoing whining about the reboot since 2009.

Like this obsession for the original trio: there is not such a thing. In the reboot these characters don't have those 'roles' fans ostensibly want to give to them *even here* . It makes no sense with their character development. None. Spock and Mccoy are never, in the reboot, merely the devil and angel at Kirk's side. Mostly because, anyway, Spock himself had his role 'upgraded' and he is not just the friend he is a protagonist himself. And Kirk, again, is more the Mccoy than how original Kirk was in the 'trio' .
    Frankly, Urban might do an impersonation of original Mccoy but Quinto is NOT doing that.
    But then, if I gotta pretend the first movies don't exist ... maybe that's where I 'fail'...

It's like what a critic said after stid: in order to please old fans who don't like the reboot, the writers keep alienating those old and new trek fans that are here for the reboot and made the first movie successful. And they were right because I do feel alienated and as if this team doesn't care about people like me who like these movies.
    But I knew that the 50th anniversary would be a hindrance more than anything, just like I know that hiring trek fanboys in the creative team might not be the best thing for this trek because too big is the risk of...nostalgia.
    (And I do, in fact, think even JJ did better with his trek than star wars where he was a big fan of.. but I digress)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Just because people involved with a movie say that it was not everything they wanted it to be, doesn't mean they're shitting on anyone who liked it.