Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Commander Richard, Jun 29, 2016.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

15.2%
  2. A

27.0%
  3. A-

20.7%
  4. B+

15.1%
  5. B

7.4%
  6. B-

4.6%
  7. C+

3.3%
  8. C

1.6%
  9. C-

1.8%
  10. D+

0.8%
  11. D

0.3%
  12. D-

0.5%
  13. F

1.6%
  1. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

It's odd; I left this site because I was tired of all the negativity and found the subreddit much more positive. Now it seems to have reversed.

KennyB likes this.
  2. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I agree it's not full of deep and intellectual themes but it had so much heart. It made us care about the characters and showed a lot of love for them. Giving everybody something to do, including emotional scenes.
    The previous two movies never made me think that JJ actually likes these characters.
    The writers and director of this movie seemed to care.

Agreed. And I think the limited scope actually helped. No crazy beaming around the galaxy and tons of locations.

I totally agree, I noticed that a lot during the movie. Not just the little notes and homages to the old music but even a nice reuse of themes from Trek09 and Into Darkness. Just changing stuff enough to make it sound different and fresh but keeping the nostalgia.
    At times it was actually quite subtle.

The use of Sabotage is what really make me think I'm watching Guardians of the Galaxy. For a moment I simply couldn't believe that I am watching a Star Trek movie in which the villains are defeated by playing the Beastie Boys at high volume. It's completely absurd... but I still liked it.

Absolutely. It was beautiful. I also thought the homage to Spock/Nimoy was nice. I teared up a little.

The first scene was the one I probably liked the least. It felt too silly and not like Star Trek. Usually that's really bad when the first scene pulls you out so much but for some reason I recovered very quickly.

I so hope she's going to become a regular cast member in the next movie. She was truly wonderful. She didn't just kick butt, she was relatable and vulnerable. Boutella did a wonderful job portraying these emotions. Talking about her dad, leaving the planet, almost getting left behind...

From the first trailer I remember I was worried she'd just be some one-dimensional badass warrior. But she is so much more than that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    lawman and Michael like this.
  3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Wow, one bad review and the score goes from 7.5 to 7.2. 92% RT!

4. Nep

Nep Cadet Newbie

I gave it a B-. It's a much, much better movie than I expected after reading the early reviews, which sounded kind of reserved, and it's obvious that there was a strong theme somewhere in there at some point, with multiple characters echoing what's going on with Kirk, but it never really gets fully articulated. I didn't like it more than ST09 on the whole, but it did a much better job than both previous films developing real, compelling, grown-up character dynamics without just falling back on humour, throwbacks and excessive cuteness. A+ for that.

The main problem I have with Beyond is that it spends way too little time with Krall and his backstory and way too much with Jaylah, who is more or less a nails-on-chalkboard cartoon, written to be liked by children and not really to contribute anything interesting to the franchise. There was a moment in the mid-section where I wished we could see more of Lydia Wilson's character instead, who is at least more distinctly alien, because I really liked the storyline involving her, Kirk and Chekov -- it felt like the old Trek.

I hope there is an extended cut somewhere with a bunch of scenes with Idris Elba because, as far as mad captains go, even the flaming zombie in Sunshine got to state his case more clearly. The final scenes with Krall and Kirk were done brilliantly, but like Kirk's central dilemma, they felt more like an extended teaser than anything else.

Other stuff I liked:

Enterprise getting as many close-ups as any other character at the beginning.

The nods to Nimoy, TOS and Yelchin. The theatre was crammed and people were losing their $#it, especially after Kirk's toast.

Aliens from the opening scene and, generally, both the humour and the movie itself being more self-referential and self-contained than the previous two.

Those moving sets really were a great idea. Maybe it's partly because I saw it in 3D, but there were a bunch of scenes where I could really feel the gravity counteracting the characters' every move.

"Space, the final frontier" being all about the team.

The 3D (which was the only option for today) didn't look like $#it. (It was maybe a little dark, but other than one jumbled fight scene, the perspective mostly stayed intact.)

Stuff I could have lived without:

Jaylah. Sabotage. The swarm going down too easily.

5. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Pretty dismissive, don't you think? ;)
    I'm a grown-up woman, not a child, and I actually found it very refreshing to see a non-sexualized interesting female character getting added to the franchise. She isn't a cartoon. You would be right, had she been a one-dimensional badass warrior or a one-dimensional damsel in distress. Instead she was a well-rounded character with strengths, but also traumas and weaknesses. I found her very relatable, which is very rare for female characters in Trek.

It's a shame her character didn't work for you but it wouldn't hurt to be a little less dismissive. She's definitely no cartoon, she's too complex for that. ;)
    Krall was actually way more one-dimensional.

I agree with many of your other points, though! It's a shame we didn't really get to know more about Lydia Wilson's character. I definitely liked that one.

Thowra, lawman, KennyB and 1 other person like this.
  6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's also the oldest story in the book so to speak. I mean, just about every mythology has a revenge story as its focal point.

7. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I skimmed through the review at Ex-Astris-Scientia. I had an impression that Bernd has issues with the Kelvin Timeline films. Nevertheless, he mentioned an interesting fact - a starship with the registry NCC-2893 was mentioned in a PA for Starbase Yorktown.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Which reminds of another blink-and-you'll-miss-it TNG reference in the 2009 movie, also involving a registry number.

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

SPOILER.

I'm surprised to see him refer to the Ent-A as "the same design as the previous ship (perhaps with a few tweaks)." ...I found it to be quite noticeably different, and I'll wager he agrees when seeing it again. :)

lawman likes this.
  10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm shocked he gave it an 8. Such a dour fellow.

RAMA

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

OK spill the beans.:)

Ok I thought this was the Onion:

Star Trek Beyond: An unwatchable steaming pile of tribble dung

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/20/istar_trek_beyondi_an_unwatchable_steaming_pile_of_dung/

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

What kind of beans, specifically?

Oh, I forgot to mention how much I love that they brought back the subtitle typeface from TMP and WOK. Just updated the tiniest bit by having them "flicker" away rather than disapearring instantly.

And that review is utter garbage. I can see people being disappointed, but "incomprehensible and unwatchable"? Jeez.

13. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Demonstrating why deranged haters should not review for the mainstream press.

The original Star Trek series and subsequent sequels stubbornly and persistently refused to frame their dramas in black-and-whites.​

Khan was a complete villain from the start, and most of the movies have villains.

"incomprehensible" - :confused:

"too slow" - :confused: :confused:

"the three reboot films seem to be more about retracing old grounds than exploring strange new worlds. So far we've had an origin story, Wrath of Khan 2.0, and now the train wreck of Beyond." :confused: :confused: :confused:

14. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Alright, I just got back home from watching Beyond.

My grade: 6 out of 5 stars.

My Non Spoiler Review

This is speaking as someone who grew up on Star Trek and has watched TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and every single god damned movie, this is the best of the best Star Trek movie that's been made.

I have always been in the group of fans that says Star Trek movies can be a summer blockbuster while still retaining it's uniqueness as Star Trek. And I am one of those who have been critical about Star Trek 09 and Into Darkness as being blockbusters without the soul of Star Trek .Well, Star Trek Beyond finally delivered on both. Not only is it a proper Star Trek movie, it's a terrific summer blockbuster too! Out of the movies I have seen this year, I would rank this one right at the top, even above Marvel's "Captain America - Civil War".

Finally, a Trek movie with an overarching theme "Strength in Unity and Diversity". Finally, a Trek movie where action set pieces actually serves a purpose and drives the plot forward. Finally, a Trek movie where everyone has a role to play. Finally, Chris Pine's Kirk and Zachary Quinto's Spock actually learns what it means to be Captain and First Officer of a Starship.

Spoilers Below!

There are links to the Federation's past, where mentions of Captain Archer, the Xindi, MACO, Romulan War actually serves a purpose in the plot.

If you've watched Enterprise, you will understand where the villain Krall is coming from. I'm a little worried that audiences who don't know the Federation's past would just see Krall as a typical mustache stroking villain.

Captain Zog, Yanks, M'Sharak and 2 others like this.
  15. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Just got back from a screening. A. I loved it. Fun for hardcore fans, and for newcomers alike

16. Nep

Nep Cadet Newbie

I’m sorry, I could and should have omitted the “for children” part.

I’m sticking by “cartoon,” though, because I felt that everything about her (orphan/ninja/survivalist/aspiring engineer/magic alien/resident badass) was just a contrivance designed to make her likable and, in their attempt to create a strong female character, they ended up with one who is neither distinctly female nor alien and, to me, feels completely out of place in Trek. I like to find my own rock star characters and not have them pushed on me so aggressively and, even though Boutella did bring some unexpected layers to her, the character, as written, strikes me as a convergence of affectations more than anything else. Between a captain and first officer who aren't all that invested in being there and a bad guy who doesn't get properly explored, I just can’t believe how safe they played it with her, and on how many fronts!

17. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

I have watched Enterprise and he still came across to me like a "typical mustache stroking villain". I still don't think his turn from good guy to totally bad guy was really plausible.

By the way do we still have to use spoiler tags in this thread? I haven't in previous posts here and I thought that was ok?

18. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I'm just being cautious as Beyond does not start in the US for another day or two.

Krall wanted to bring humanity back to a time when it wasn't part of a Federation of Planets. So in many ways, I was reminded of the pro-human faction Terra Prime who wanted to build a human-only star empire.

Zonker likes this.
  19. Aike22

Aike22 Cadet Newbie

Saw the movie three times yesterday in less than 20 hours in Sweden. First at the midnight premiere arranged by a local Star Trek club, then at a press screening in the morning and finally in the evening again with a friend.

The movie gets better and better with each time. I recommend everyone to see it at least twice. Definitely an A movie.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral