Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's encouraging. I honestly assumed you'd probably have to recast.

So how are stardates in the 2240's gonna work, anyway? The ones on TOS were convoluted enough.

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You make it sound so... ominous. :p

3. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

The Axanar team is very proud to announce that veteran actress Kate Vernon, known best for her role as Ellen Tigh in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, has joined the cast as Sonya Alexander a hot shot Starfleet captain.

Director Christian Gossett and I have been working hard to develop a strong female captain for the final battle. We in fact wrote this role for Kate after meeting her for the first time last spring at Wonder Con in Anaheim. We wanted a strong, tough, aggressive female captain who could go toe to toe with any other Starfleet captain. Sonya Alexander is second only to Garth in the number of Klingon ships destroyed in the Four Years War.

Our meeting with Kate this week went fantastic, and she is looking forward to defining this character in a way that will make her not only extremely capable, but a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

4. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She was also Valerie Archer on "Voyager"

5. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love her, good job getting her

6. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

...and she plays Captain April's wife.../em ducks ;)

7. Loken

No, she doesn't play April's wife. Actually Michael Hogan's wife plays Sarah April.

Kate plays Starfleet Captain Sonya Alexander.

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Great casting coup(s). Vernon's always very watchable, as is Susan Hogan (iirc, she also played a ship captain in BSG). Looking forward to seeing her take on role, and sure she'll bring a lot to it.

9. Loken

Susan Hogan played the head of the tribunal at the trial of Baltar in BSG. (So yes, a ship captain!).

[​IMG]

10. Loken

If you want the current updates on Axanar, we have a special forum all about Axanar for donors in our Kickstarter where we share lots of inside information, photos and video. Plus there are regular updates on our Kickstarter.

I will no longer be updating this thread. You can also check our Facebook page for updates.

Alec

11. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

We use our Facebook group as a daily happenings blog site. FB may have its weaknesses, but using a group to communicate with those who want that sort of detail is a strength.

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

See you in a few months, when you're back promoting the film here, Alec! :)

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem with that method of dissemination is that everyone is not on Facebook.

14. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto. You're excluding a portion of your audience just to put money in Facebook's purse.

15. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

They've announced Tony Todd (of Kurn and Candyman fame) as Admiral Ramirez. I'm still just really impressed by the cast of actors they've gotten.

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

No question, the cast Alec has lined up for this film is easily the most impressive since Of Gods and Men and later, Renegades.

What remains to be seen is the very fact that we've not seen a single frame of footage that isn't just fancy visual effects by Tobias Richter of that same fanwank ship crusing through atmospheric clouds. It's impeccably realized vfx, but it's still all we've seen.

Of more concern to me is simply the concept that among this impressive cast (Kate Vernon, Tony Todd, Richard Hatch, JG Hertzler, Michael Hogan, possibly now, apparently, Faran Tahir, et al) Alec has situated himself as the lead actor of the entire piece, thereby fulfilling the age-old axiom that fan films are really just the fans playing dress-up. Of course Alec is the lead actor. Of course he's the captain of the hero ship. It makes perfect sense.

What will be truly interesting to see will be whether those acting classes he has been taking will actually pay off. He doesn't need to be the next Laurence Olivier here (though it would certainly help) but right now as we don't have anything from which to base Axanar on performance-wise, it's awfully hard not to be worried that it'll just be another passionate fan playing dress-up with his fancy expensive sets and a bunch of legit actors he's paying to come play with him. (Note: There are three "L"s in 'Melllvar.")

All we really have to go on is some repurposed footage of Alec as Garth of Izar from Phase II's "Origins" that Alec put up on the Axanar site a few months ago as part of his promotional blitz. If that's all we have to go on, I wouldn't hold my breath that this will be an especially amazing performance.

17. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Frankly I'm not evaluating things like Phase Two or Axanar by the standards of high-budget studio product; I'm duly impressed if a fan-film even approaches studio quality. If I couldn't enjoy watching passionate fans play dress-up I certainly wouldn't bother. ;)

So from a viewer's perspective I'm not that "concerned" about anything related to the production. I just think it's cool that things like this are happening at all. (And I don't find that short glimpse of Alec in the footage you linked as discouraging as you seem to do, mileage of course may vary.)

18. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

Tough to tell much from that very short clip. It's certainly not a sizzle reel that would ever land anyone an acting gig, but it's short and without context at the same time, so I wouldn't feel comfortable saying right off the top that we're in for a rocky ride.

I think fan films are always bound to be wish fulfillment, no matter how much money is spent or familiar actors brought into the fold. Sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesn't. I guess we'll see how it turns out in this case a couple years down the line.

19. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Lieutenant Red Shirt

20. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I never blame actors for bad performances. I blame directors. The director has to know what he wants from the performer, and he has to have the time, skill, crew and equipment to get that performance. It would help Axanar if they have a lot of filming days. No need to rush anything.

The Space Command project recently announced that they filmed 35 pages of script in three days. That's an aggressive shooting schedule, I would think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.